VSL Solo Strings

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by drewny75, Oct 7, 2012.

1. drewny75

drewny75 Noisemaker

I downloaded the VSL solo strings library and am wondering what is the best player to play these on? Kontakt 5 doesn't seem to want to convert them. Perhaps I am just doing it wrong. Gplayer seems to be pretty basic and only plays the samples with no legato scripting and such. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. btw they are .gig files.

Thanks!

3. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

i would always go for kontakt5 - just use a basic converter like cdxtract or chicken translator and then update the kontakt presets atleast until v3 and then is no problem to get them update to presets for k5.
    ive done it with VSL Opus presets and they were done with k1 in 2003. so i updated them with k4. legato was working the presets were sounding the same i started working in k3.

btw dont use the gig files - you have to download exs presets or the nki files. gig is hard to convertable to nki. bon chance.

4. Alraun

Alraun Member

I can confirm what ArticStorm said. exs-nki conversions work better. When you convert from .gig to .nki, you can loose the velocity too, even if you use CDxtract.
    There are some VSL nki libraries floating in the net, which are already converted from gig and doesn´t work well.
    I myself experienced too many corrupted nki´s after the conversion from gig to nki.

This is not your question, but by the way: i converted some older Kontakt 1 libraries with ChickenSys.
    It was even able to fix all the previously corrupted nki´s (CDXtract crashed whilst doing this job).

Chicken Translator seems to work best for me.

5. drewny75

drewny75 Noisemaker

Thanks for the reply! Can you explain "update the kontakt presets atleast until v3" in a little more detail? I am a little confused by this. Thanks for your help!

DREW

6. Alraun

Alraun Member

I converted my VSL Libraries this way:

Conversion from gig or exs to nki with Chicken Translator:

-Open Translator
    -go to "Format Options"
    -go to "Kontakt (1)"
    -click on "Version 3.0+"
    -close
    now convert your files

If you further want to update the Kontakt 3 nki-patches (presets) to Kontakt 5:

-open K5
    -go to "files - batch resave"
    -choose the root folder of your VSL-Library and let Kontakt search for the samples
    respectively choose the associated sample path

Kontakt will now automatically update the nki´s to Version 5 and associates the nki´s to the appropriate sample paths.
    That´s how i learned it from the NI Forum.

Maybe there is still another way to do it, but this one works well for me.

I don´t remember exactly how it works with CDXtract, i think it automatically converts to K3, without having to choose the version manually.

7. Gramofon

Gramofon Producer

...Or you can alternatively use some custom script which will also give you a variety of effects (from slides to portamentos and not just legato). You will also get adjustable parameters that way.

You can try the SIPS scripts or the custom Kontakt script (syllable sequencer/legato script) for EWQLSC (Choirs) which you can find at vi-control.net. You can use the second on other instruments to get some nice slides. You go to the script tab and edit it out as you want. To make the SIPS script more viewable (and your potential wallpaper too - that can be also saved in the instrument patch) you can add these two script lines:

make_perfview
    set_ui_height_px(xxx)
    (where the xs are a given number of pixels to expand on - I usually choose 150)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The "Custom legato" tab is the one for the EWQLSC. The choir script is buggier though (it works fine for the choir that is). Also, move the Mod Wheel if the interface doesn't show (it says that but anyway). You store them at Documents>Native Instruments>Kontakt X(4,5,...)>presets>Scripts. Or you copy/paste from the text files, do your thing and save as preset script. Hope that helps.

Videos that can help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYkH8RyRxSw / http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmALf5vZdrA

TIP: These don't use legato samples, they just kinda emulate it. (Except for the choirs) :thumbsup:

8. Alraun

Alraun Member

I am learning from you something new for me. Interesting perspective. I´ll give it a try.

9. drewny75

drewny75 Noisemaker

Wow this is amazing thank you!!!

10. drewny75

drewny75 Noisemaker

Is that the free Chicken translator? Or the purchased one?

11. Alraun

Alraun Member

I don´t know the free version.
    I used Pro Version 2.9