VRs Sonarwork Reference 3 issues

Discussion in 'Software' started by Bunford, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

For my, when I install the reference files fail to load and simply show invalid file in red in the reference file box/dropdown. This is well documented in the release post and people have found a workaround by installing and activating the free trial to create the reference files in Documents\Sonarworks, then movethat folder to a safe place, uninstall the trial version and then installing VRs versions and place the reference file back in Documents . However, I can't for the life of me get a free trial to activate and I have tried 3 different trial serials received to 3 different emails and tried the offline activation method.

Anyone else having issues registering their free trial? I keep getting an activation error with online licensing activation.

upload_2017-3-29_23-24-33.png

I've also just gone through their 'offline' licensing mechanism, shows the free trial license as active on their site, then i import the license and it brings up the same error with online licensing activation.

Tried in Ableton 9.7.1, Studio One 3.3.4 and Maschine 2.6.2, and all DAWs have full access to internet and no antivirus software installed so it is not that the activation server can't be accessed.

What's more confusing is that when I try the offline method it shows that the license is active but onceI download the license file and then import, I get the same activation error as before (even though it's using offline activation rather than online).

upload_2017-3-29_23-27-42.png

Very confusing, unless they've caught onto it and turned off their activation method somehow, which would seem daft as it would also affect genuine prospective buyers that would leave a lasting negative perception of the company if they can't even get free trials to work properly?!?! What totally baffles me though is why that would affect the offline activation?!?!?!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  3. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Maybe check for and delete registry entries left behind from the VR version before you install the trial?

4. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Done that. Also, I installed the trial before even installing the VR version so there were zero registry entries.

5. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I've just updated to the Creators Update of Windows 10 and this seems to have broken this for me. The plugin version works fine, but the SystemWide app doesn't seem to work. When I select my main stereo output for my audio interface, as I did before the update, I get this error in the notification popup. This popped up as soon as the system rebooted after the update, even before anything was changed, meaning it definitely broke this. Here is the notification popup:

upload_2017-4-10_13-41-10.png

However, the odd quirk is that is only refuses to recognise my MOTU 828s main out (1 +2) as a stereo output. If i choose the headphone output or any of the other analog outputs on my MOTU, it recognises them as stereo outputs as it normally would. When i try switching to one of the other stereo output that it recognises and going back to my main outs to try and 'reset' the recognition of them, it doesn't work either.

Anybody else got similar issues?

6. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Scratch that, I found and fixed the issue. Something for people to be aware of though. The update knocked my rate back to 44.1kHz on my primary output and SystemWide was expecting 48kHz, so created a mismatch causing the error it seems. Went into playback device properties and changed the main outs to 48kHz again and then worked again. Oddly though, none of my other outputs had changed from 48kHz.

Something to keep in mind maybe as the Creators Update knocked my default sound outputs to 44.1kHz, in case t causes any others confusion or issues too.