VPROM Multichannel in Reaper

Discussion in 'Software' started by Shiori Oishi, Aug 29, 2024 at 1:56 PM.

1. Shiori Oishi

Shiori Oishi Producer

Hi all. Does anyone know how to set each drum part of this drum machine to a separate track in Reaper? I have no problem doing that with Addictive Drums, for instance...

Last edited: Aug 29, 2024 at 3:07 PM
  3. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • List
  4. Shiori Oishi

Shiori Oishi Producer

5. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

Best Answer
    Almost certainly not related to this, but I had to untick "Inform plugin of channel count changes" in Reaper's FX browser for some VST3s.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. naitguy

naitguy Audiosexual

Oh yah, Xorome may have the answer..... dunno.

All this time though, I thought it was some sort of bug with the cracked VST3 version, because it never worked for me to set up the outputs (in any version of Reaper I've used)... so I had filtered that Vst3 out a long time ago. The VST2 version works just fine with multioutput and is set up just like anything else would be in Reaper. The VST3 VPROM was the only plugin that didn't work in multiout for me, and I've used a crap load of plugins, multiout or not.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2024 at 3:49 PM
  7. Shiori Oishi

Shiori Oishi Producer

Good to know I am not yet going insane.

8. Shiori Oishi

Shiori Oishi Producer

Like a charm! Thank you so much. Audio heroes don't wear capes.

9. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

Why're you using VST3? There's no need for it with Reaper.
    I suppose it's working the same for VST3, but I used the VST2 version. Just right click in the track lane, select Insert virtual instrument... and you'll see...

[​IMG]

Activate Multi in plugin and you're done.

10. Shiori Oishi

Shiori Oishi Producer

Because that's what I have in my machine, and xorome's fix made it work. But I am curious now, why do you say there's no need for VST3 with Reaper?

11. carrots

carrots Newbie

Quite the opposite, REAPER might well be unmatched when it comes to routing capabilities.

Good that you found a solution. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Shiori Oishi

Shiori Oishi Producer

Let me rephrase it: routing in Reaper is not easy and intuitive, and that may have something to do with its unmatched routing capabilities. :)

13. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

I'm using VST2 because:
    firstly, I haven't even activated this track count thingy and yet it worked because Reaper recognizes the capabitily and ignores whether it's activated in the pluggie or not;
    secondly, all recognized parameters are automatable and
    thirdly, a bypassed plugin or one without active audio processing doesn't use any CPU load.
    AFAIK, these are supposed to be the most important advantages of VST3 over 2 - unless I missed some things, ofc. :winker:

14. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

Routing in reaper is about as intuitive as quantum physics. Certain things I can accomplish in a couple of seconds in Cubase/Nuendo (especially with MIDI and VSTi's) take many minutes to hours pawing thru the docs to accomplish in reaper. Granted that reaper is not my go to DAW but still. Reaper is a decent DAW don't get me wrong, but it's far from intuitive in many aspects...

15. naitguy

naitguy Audiosexual

If I am forced to have to dive into the pin matrix, I can get a bit confused sometimes (namely when I've using and isolating different channels for different things). But Reaper auto sets up routing for a lot of things. Like, in the case of VPROM, you just simply add a new track with VPROM on it, and it will prompt you to do the multioutputs. Done. No problemo. But if I have to go mess around with the pinouts for FX routing, then yah.. that's where it sometimes gets confusing for me. Track routing (groups/folders/sends/etc.).. that I think is really intuitive and well done, but i came from a Cubase background and I seem to recall a big learning curve there initialy.

16. Shiori Oishi

Shiori Oishi Producer

Now while we're at it... What a great instrument! I've always felt I couldn't quite get the Linn sound even with the 'right' samples. The VPROM manual sheds light on so much! The snare sample with dead air, the pitch shifting snare drag, the sequencer resolution, the Linn vs. LM-1, the LM-1 vs. the LM-1s...! And I remember an interview with Roger Linn himself saying he doesn't think delaying a snare does much for groove. Now I see the irony! :rofl:
    Just one thing I don't get about this VST, though: why the .bin format in VPROM? Also, why keeping this 'eprom' concept, when you can just call it a sample and accept a .wav file like everybody else?

17. Melone Musk

Melone Musk Member

My only disappointment with this fantastic VPROM is the absence of the original LM-1 sequencer which produces its famous groove.

Aly James points out in its manual (pages 33 & 34) that this particular groove can easily be reproduced within a modern DAW:

"When you have created a sequence you like, export it as a MIDI file, but specify the resolution to 48 PPQN (most DAW can do this). Import it back and compare to the original, this does not mean it will sound better or worse but a little different. Apparently people seems to prefer 48 PPQN, hence more quantized things... Of course if you try this on a straight 1/16 quantized beat, nothing should change.
    This is the main reason I didn't felt the need to emulate the LM-1 sequencer in VPROM VST."

Cool... But how Studio One users can reproduce this groove since Studio One doesn't allow you to lower midi export resolution to 48 PPQN? It doesn't even let you change the export résolution at all!

The only solution I've found is to use another DAW (Cubase) for programming my drum tracks, export them in 48 PPQN, then re-import in Studio One. Not so convenient if you ask me...

Last edited: Aug 30, 2024 at 5:49 PM
  18. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

VPROM is quite a useful tool indeed. But in order to make it really sound like a LinnDrum you need to investigate the add on banks available from aly. With those banks you can get a quite authentic sounding LinnDrum happening. The stock sound bank is pretty blah with respect to a real Linn machine.

19. Melone Musk

Melone Musk Member

VPROM stock sound bank is loaded with EPROM images (.bin) extracted from LM-1's stock EPROMs, so it sounds like a 100% stock LM-1, not a Linndrum.
    If you want your VPROM sounding like a Linndrum, Linn 9000 (or DX, DMX and Drumtraks), you must load the alternative EPROM images, which originally came from here (as the stock LM-1 EPROM images loaded in VPROM):

http://electrongate.com/dmxfiles/downloads.html

Unfortunately... this note from Electrongate:

"2014-08-26, At the request of Forat Electronics, the copyright holder of the original LinnDrum samples, I have removed the Linn samples that were previously available on this site. Sorry for the inconvenience, but you can still get programmed Linn EPROMs from Forat."

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  20. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

The banks I got (dont think it was electrongate) were off of the alyjames site on a page that listed/linked to other sample bank pages. That was just a couple of years ago... That links page on the AJ site isn't there anymore either... You snooze you loose I guess...

21. Shiori Oishi

Shiori Oishi Producer

Could you please share those? I believe they're not too large, are they?