Voxengo span? or something else?

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by petrrr, Aug 19, 2022.

1. petrrr

petrrr Kapellmeister

Hi, i was wondering if there's anything else i could consider except voxengo span or if it does what it needs to do?

or you know any other plugins like this that are more useful in some way? if you can also explain how

thanks!

3. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

For me it's SPAN but you could also take a look at Seven Phases.

4. petrrr

petrrr Kapellmeister

i'm just checking if there's something else that can be done with Seven Phases for example otherwise i'll do Span too and call it a day!

5. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

SPAN is an FFT anaylzer while Seven Phases is a parallel-filter analyzer with a selectable numer of bands per octave. They display the spectrum in a different way. Up to a block size of 8192 SPAN has less resolution in the lows but already a higher one for the high freqs than SP with 6 bands per octave (as an example).

6. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

SPAN is one of the first plugins I install in Windows. Absolute staple plug not only for frequencies but for levels, too. That is before Reaper got LUFS metering on tracks and master.

7. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Voxengo SPAN Plus is awesome! Also DMG TrackMeter.

If you want to go crazy, try FLUX Pure Analyzer Essential (standalone, but "listening in" with FLUX SampleGrabber on the insert). That way you can have Pure Analyzer Essential on a separate screen, if you will.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
  8. Myfanwy

Myfanwy Producer

For anyone using RME interfaces there is DigiCheck, which (like Seven Phases) offers 30 band pass filters instead of fft. Set up with fast rise and release times, this is a really great tool to "see" dynamics, i.e. fast release of a kick attack and longer release of a bass note. In the low frequency range this is very different to the slow fft aproach of most analyzer plugins. You can also setup one analyzer for "max.L/R" so you don't miss any phase cancellation and a second one for "side" channel to have perfect control over stereo image. I use this as my "third ear" for about 20 years now.

SIR SpectrumAnalyzer can be configured like that also:
    https://www.siraudiotools.com/Spectrum-Analyzer.php

Blue Cat's FreqAnalyst Pro is a very nice fft analyzer:
    https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Product_FreqAnalystPro/

For any fft analyzer it's important to be able to set the "tilt" of the frequency axis to 3dB/oct, so that a pink noise signal results in a flat line instead of a white noise signal.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  9. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

If you have RME AI and use Windoze DigiCheck is a must. You can do so much with it. Everything DigiCheck is top-notch. No fuss.

For those not in the know, DigiCheck is not just an incredibly flexible analyser, but also all kinds of analysers and a nice app that can record multitrack from your Windoze output. I used to love that app. You can always record anything youre playing from wherever youre playing it from.