Voodoo Glitch [Acid House]

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by Rudy Manterie, Aug 8, 2023.

1. Rudy Manterie

Rudy Manterie Platinum Record

3. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

Just some random thoughts based on one listen, so don't expect any probing analysis and commentary...

Good stuff! I was expecting more "old-school" acid house but I like the shift more towards deep techno/house towards the end with the chord stabs. Gotta love the clean drums for mixing in and out. Also the drum fills were really true to form.

There's not much to complain but the mix is fairly busy, especially the bass synth on top of the boomy kick, and then the acid line making it somewhat muddy. Not that this kind of tune needs restraint though, don't get me wrong. And perhaps it not too much but the hi-hat was a tad loud to my liking, and perhaps could've done with more variation. But not too much.

4. Rudy Manterie

That's exactly the kind of critisim i want to hear, many thanks! Yeah, i didn't put much effort into the mix, just had fun with the track/samples. I'll try to remix it if time allows. Hi-Hat is deffo too loud.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2023
  5. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

I'm not normally one to recommend stuff about instrumentation and orchestration, but... (here goes). Two things you might try while keeping the tune itself intact.

First, bring down the hihat, and perhaps try something like starting with a longer envelope and making it shorter as the tune progresses. Maybe dick about this for less busy sections.

And, the acid line itself. It could be tweaked with some thinning somehow, some saturation an hipass (and then ofc matching the volume) to make the whole shebang a bit clearer and allow some space.

6. Rudy Manterie

The hi-hat envelope idea is good. I used to do that in former times but totally forgot about it. Acid line starts now sooner and has been treated. Not sure yet if i'll upload a v2 but thanks again.