Von Steyr revisits S1.

Discussion in 'Studio One' started by Von_Steyr, Dec 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

I don't think that's a fair assessment... which is not to say it's not a great DAW. But it's not breaking any new grounds except for maybe scratch pad, which I'll grant you is a neat idea. These DAWs are all copying off each other. It's really just a matter of who has the best combination of everyone else's features.

Tbh the way I see it the majority of truly innovative features come from Ableton. I hate to say that about my own DAW because i know how it looks... but Session View and Racks are the two most unique, most useful concepts in a DAW anywhere... in my humble opinion.

I don't think that opening the 'who borrowed from whom' can of worms is conducive to your position... just saying :)

2. Mixdowner

Mixdowner Kapellmeister

i don't get it guys, either i'm really living in caves or what the fuck ? ever heard of drum kits ? or even better, of making your own drum kits ? why now you're supposed to drag samples left and right ? samples are meant to be played, not to be sticked in the ass and the mixed with a gazillion FX ... they should sound good from the start if possible, they should play smooth with the whole drumkit actually, you drag a drum or a loop drum and then what ? you're stuck with it and there';s not much you can do to evolve that drum as you want .. and apart this dont you feel like a shit musician when 50% of your song is made by loops and cut & paste ?

a sampler tracks makes sense for vocals, or maybe for drums you rarely use, but not for bread & butter stuff, of course i'll be accused of being an old fart and a relic of the 90s.

3. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Ableton used to be on a dongle many years ago. They recognized that everyone hated it and moved away from it. I guess I can't guarantee they won't go back to it, but I think their history suggests it's highly unlikely

4. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

There you go again.. using this condescending, confrontational tone...

to say something ignorant as fuck :rofl:

Edit: Now I feel guilty. Dude I'm not trying to be a massive dick, but you're just begging me. Just stop acting like an asshole about things you apparently don't understand... I mean I don't even know where to begin with your comment. I'm not sure what pops into your head when I talk about playing a sample. It's just playing a damn sample. I even said "one shot" and you start talking about loops again. You sound like a guy with something to prove. I'm talking about dragging a sample into a sampler and playing a pattern. Wtf about that confuses and agitates you?

The worst part is while you're on your high horse about drum kits and whatever else... I'm over here actually designing most of my own drum sounds, which is by your standards a hell of a lot more virtuous than using a drum kit.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Mixdowner

Mixdowner Kapellmeister

actually if you really wanted a sort of Lower zone you could do that already with Cubase SX 3 by splitting the timeline and the mixer windows in two .. not elegant, but it worked.

as for S1, we will see but allow us to remain skeptic, this daw is already at v3.0 and the GUI still looks like a total compromise, minmimal customization, basically they're imposing their visual taste in a typical "take it or F off" fashion and i see not one single reason for Presonus to change anything soon as it's still the same GUI of S1 v1.0 ... meaning they love it and they think they should double down on that forcing even more visual choice on you the final users.

nothing against that, each daw has its own shitty GUI cubase included, but cubases' GUI is by far the best of both worlds, everything is logically placed at the right place and on top of this is doesnt suffer from apple's influence like some other daws, it's meant to be used with a two-mouse button since v1.0, the sidebar is always on the left, menus are on top (no fucking Hamburghers menu), with two monitors you can have a killer setup and with three it's even better, what else do you need exactly ? sure it's exciting to see other daws progressing faster but they all want to force their own worldview on me and this is unacceptable, the GUI is the most important thing of a daw, it's the last thing you should fuck up, that's exactly why Stein and Berg are so conservative as if it was for some hipsters here cubase would look like ableton now.

6. Mixdowner

Mixdowner Kapellmeister

exactly ! of course they love Ableton or S1, they must barely play a single note and they use their daw as a multi track and loop browser.

for a laugh, i will link again this vintage "masterpiece" that somebody made with just drums and one single note ... would you believe it was selling like hot cakes ? i was almost quitting music after hearing this stuff, it's inspiring, this is the future of EDM, 20+ years in advance.

7. Mixdowner

Mixdowner Kapellmeister

maybe by theam V.R. and their half assed cracks.
    give it a month or two.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. Impressive

Impressive Guest

Sorry, I'm forever a Logic Pro guy. I came from FL Studio, but I'll stay with Logic for now. :rofl:

9. complete

complete Producer

I guess this song was made with Cubase on an Atari ST :rofl:

10. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

If you save only one dollar per day, by the end of the year you can buy at least Cubase 9 Pro EDU.:yes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. foster911

foster911 Guest

I've heard you're a generous man. Would you please buy a copy as a gift of Christmas for me? TBH, I know some people in my neighborhood that believe in Santa Claus and and wished for the new version and I want to give it to them to make beats. Dam doom. They don't know any alternative than Cubase.

12. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Sure bro, i can give you Cubase 5 Pro AIR, because im that good.
    [​IMG]

13. Mixdowner

Mixdowner Kapellmeister

you bet ! it's from 1992 ...

14. Vaijj

Vaijj Platinum Record

Yessss.. Here we go again.. Great you took a look at it S1 again Styer.. It a great DAW and i dont think they even breat just behind other big DAWs, they are up there. Even if it works as my second DAW its useful for some things. Workflow with samples and fast building and arrange songs is also good.

And even if Cubase is my go to it becasue it just fits MY NEEDS and thats why i use it. And face it. ALL DAWs are a result of thier users. Who implant functions first or not isnt really something to make a fuzz about. If users want fuctions it will come sooner or later. Its not enough to be a single user and start to bash things as bad because they didnt get what they wanted, saying, well i have wished for it so give it to me. If so Then go to a DAW that does that for you.

Steinbergs forum is a terrible place. Alot of spoiled cry babies that finds it more importent to complain about things then to actually create music. Used to have the best. But also a place where its possible to find solutions for problems. Reminds about this place sometimes actually ;)

And i find my eLicenser so useful. I even like iLok. Having the possibility to go anywhere and work and just bring my dongle is just so importent to me. I can go and do my work almost anywhere that way. NO need to think about passes or anything to lock up the applications i need to use. And complain about that is well.. Come on.. I have a car with a key and that helps me to lock it and keep others from using it without my permission. If someone manage to steal it anyway, well lucky them. I will loose money casue of that. From a company view i dont see anything wrong in that. Its their income. Yes, they may have even more users if it was cracked but also loose some exclusivity. And they have a month trail that is more than enough to find out if its somethign for you or not. Unless you are busy with other things you gonns work with during that time.

At the same time i must add that i like warez and the options of learning and trying. But i also buy what i have use for. Like lately i bought Keyscape since i got the chance to really try it from the sister site. That would not have happend if hadnt tried it there. I didnt see any use for it since i thought there are already so much of that stuff out there. But trying it proved me wrong.

This thread started out in a nice way but ofc it didnt take long before the DAW war started to boil i little. But i guess as long as people have opinions this will go on. Many what it their way, wanna be right and feel worried that the choices they made wasnt the best one. But damn, if i thikn how many bad choices ive made then i would have made a date with Reaper (NOT THE DAW), the Grimm one, a long time ago. Just as writing this is since i have alot of things to do so i guess i have a desire to be heard outside this stuffed up walls..

Love ya guys..
    Vaijj

15. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

LoL,
    In cyberspace, there is a small lonely orphaned copy of Cubase that has been neglected and forgotten. But you can save its life and guarantee that it has a fighting chance for a future (and updates).
    For the price of a cup of coffee you can bring this splendid DAW into your life and home, and give it the chance to blossom and fully develop into the studio that both of you have always dreamed of.....
    YES! For only one dollar a day you can make an impact and change each others lives forever....LoL

16. Mixdowner

Mixdowner Kapellmeister

well, a dongle is still better than a subscription, i know people who could not start Photoshop CC due to authentication errors over slow networks while they were in holiday.
    imagine your Daw refusing to open before a live gig because you forgot to pay the annual fee or whatever, hahaha.

17. Mixdowner

Mixdowner Kapellmeister

ok, but they all cost the same :

Cubase Pro 9 : 500 euro
    Ableton Live 9 Suite : 480 euro
    Studio One 3 : 400 euro

18. farao

farao Rock Star

I love S1, so I had a look at this, but it it doesn't work as it should. It looks kind of cool, but the drumpads are too small. And the automated faders are in the way and cant be made to control the tempo. But worst is that I cant make the drumpads work, they do not give any sound when I press them. I pressed them really, really hard so that is not the problem. Ah well, I'll stick to AKAI for the time being, it is a much more intuitive drum machine. Maybe next version of this will be better.

19. DieM

DieM Rock Star

Snnoozzzzze! Yip I've heard these kinds of smart arsed replies a million times. Tell me something I don't know Genuise.

20. MNDSTRM

MNDSTRM Platinum Record

All of Ableton is unique. Pro Tools, Cubase, Reaper, Studio One are based on a tape machine work flow, Ableton/Bitwig and FL Studio are based on midi sequencers.

The features they're stealing from each other are simple improvements like layers for tracks, smart mouse tool, automation curves. Not completely new things like Scratch Pads, Mix Engine FX, and Melodyne integration. I didn't mean mean borrowing is bad, just that its a bit ironic that the master borrowed from the grass hopper.

I've always felt that the ex Steinberg guys that formed the S1 development team had taken all of their ideas to their boss at the time who laughed them out of the office. Now Steinberg is like "hmm maybe they weren't all that crazy" lol

I never try to say one DAW is better than another because its like religion, pick what you believe in, just don't try to force it upon others. All I said was that a lot of DAWs are getting stagnant because they have established their user base's - maybe they deserve to slow downs their development because they're already great enough. Studio One is still clawing for users, so they're running at full speed - and theres down sides to this too, like a lot of bugs popping up.

@Von_Steyr Fat Channel is a pretty awesome stock plugin, the pro-eq sucks, stock compressor has way too many controls, but Fat channel is great. On the down low, its gonna get a big update pretty soon. All I'll say is that compressor and eq sections of it are going to be modular. :wink: