Von Steyr revisits S1.

Discussion in 'Studio One' started by Von_Steyr, Dec 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Yeah. Revolver tracks is actually a bit more sophisticated. So is Pro Tools' playlist concept. But Trackversions is instant, easy to access and does everything I need so I'm not complaining.

If I recall, Sam actually had this feature twofold. There was something else a lot like it. That's Samplitude. Stacked to the gills with great features.

BTW - did they ever fix that unfortunate situation with plugin slots? Last time I used it you could only see like four slots and then you had to dive into a menu to see and rearrange the rest. That was.... different.

2. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Everybody eventually visits the Reaper...
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  3. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

What ProTools has that feature too ?? Man, :dunno::woot:, I thought us Samplitude boys were so special ! :rofl:
    Like the fx slots of which part ? Mixer ? Object editor or Track inspector ? It depends which one, brave old sam...
    Track inspector you can see up to 6 I think, I don't use much that one...Object editor you can see up to 4 at the same time, in the mixer I think it might depends on the resolution you use and which skin but it's between 8 and 12...Usually enought and right clicking on fx to see the 9th or 13th or above isn't really a chore for me...
    And you know magix...Fixing thing isn't really their thing...:rofl:

4. Mixdowner

Mixdowner Kapellmeister

since you guys insisted i installed the latest S1 (R2R)

it looks much better than S1 v2.xx but still ... they really want to be the new cubase but the midi editing is still half baked, how can you work with the confusing right-click options ? should i press 1-2-3-4 each time i edit some notes ? and the most important (nr.3) has lots of more confusing options, the scroll is too fast, tons of options for things that you probably dont need too often and no way to customize the toolbars.

drag & drop OK, better than cubase, but i don't need to mess too much when i pick up instruments and fx, once something it's set i tend to stick with it.

lower zone : good, but too small for serious midi editing, and claustrophobic for mixing, better than nothing but still you need 2 monitors to work in relax.

lower toolbar : good

upper toolbar : bad and full of shit you cant move around, too big and ugly icons.

as for the GUI in general, i like the dark theme but please give us some more customization.
    the icons and the general look & feel remind me of Reaper or even a linux app, in a bad way.

my sentence : yes it's improving fast, but we're still far from being a viable solid and good-looking alternative to Cubase The Great.
    time will tell, in the meantime i so even less reasons to switch ... if i need a daw focused on audio there's already ProTools for that, if i need midi and audio i have cubase, what's the point ? also considering the price of S1 is 400 euro !

5. Mixdowner

Mixdowner Kapellmeister

... which is Track Freeze in cubase with 1 click.

by the way, seriously why all this fuss about converting everything to audio ? what's so bad using VST instruments in real time ? do you guys are running a PII 300 with 1g ram ?

i'm working on a song with 8 single omnisphere, 4 tracks of drums with kontakt, 2 tracks of vocals with kontakt, 4 FX channels, 20-30 insert FX, a few routings and one FX chain on the master out, cpu at 60-70% overall, not a single track in audio and this would be fine even on my laptop ...

6. tapekiller

tapekiller Kapellmeister

No you don't. If you're having troubles figuring out that you can zoom in probably the problem is you, and not the program.
    I still wonder what you mean by "serious midi editing" when the available workspace is concerned.
    Besides, you don't need to continuously fix the arrangement when you mix, you know you have four different display modes in the mixer, at this point I wonder if you're ignoring features on purpose just to be able to mention problems that don't even exist in the first place.

You like Cubase, we get that.

Besides, nobody here is forcing you to try S1 for us and give us your very important opinion, let alone switch to S1 from Cubase.
    Use what you like and let your work speak for itself.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. HeklaCF63

HeklaCF63 Guest

I commit early as this helps me to get songs finished. I limited myself in a almost unlimited workspace otherwise nothing gets done.

8. foster911

foster911 Guest

A part of a book about the taste in the listenings:

The terms in which we might debate this claim seem to be absent— hence the regression of aesthetic discussion into circularity and vacuity. The same brief “debate” takes place with tiresome regularity:

A: This music is great and deserves to be heard.

B: Why, if it is so great, nobody else seems to want to hear it.

A: The commercialization of music has stunted people’s ability to listen to challenging music.

B: Feels insulted, suggests that A is an elitist, and goes on to ask what makes this music so important anyway.

A: Shrugs petulantly, saying that it is quite obviously “great music” and that if B is unable to hear that for himself then that is a sign of how philistine this country has become.

The discussion ends with A and B talking over each other.

This is true everywhere. The matter of taste is the most complicated part of the humanity and this fight will never end.

Read the book here:
    https://audiosex.pro/threads/the-art-policy-and-musical-judgements-who-decides-what-is-great.28229/

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. HeklaCF63

HeklaCF63 Guest

Freezing is way different it locks everything up.

10. daniel88v8

daniel88v8 Noisemaker

11. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Cubase's worst feature is its user forums :rofl:

I actually saw some guy say, and I'm paraphrasing except for the last bit, which I remember perfectly because of how ridiculous it was
    "the new sampler track is a toy and useless to me. I need precision tools for professionals"

Okay, we get it. You're a professional. If I need advice on what I should and shouldn't like, can I ask you?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  12. foster911

foster911 Guest

Thanks God that we live in the free internet space and no one pursues us for the piracy we're committing every moment.

Steinberg is like this bully and will never express any compassion to the people enter its territory without hardware-keys. I'm happy that you're releasing yourself gradually from the yoke of bondage of such ruffian.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

lol... dude.

.... dude.

Dongles are obnoxious and unfortunate. But blaming a company for trying to prevent theft is ridiculous. Especially since that dongle is among the only remaining protections that has (so far) served its purpose. "never express any compassion for..." I can think of better ways to finish that sentence.

Once again (and again and again) I'm not being holier than thou. I think using warez is a perfectly reasonable thing to do. But come on.

14. voidSeeker

voidSeeker Kapellmeister

Yes it's all just a bunch of repetitive loops and drum patterns mixed with 100's of unnecessary audio plugins to give it that punch since there is no actual musical content...

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  15. voidSeeker

voidSeeker Kapellmeister

S1 is flat, 2D, mind numbing & confusing. It's got drag and drop, well OK I hate that. Cubase 9 is a GUI done right, everything is clear and defined...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  16. MNDSTRM

MNDSTRM Platinum Record

Studio One gives me hope. Any issues I have or features I want, I know that the developers will listen and add it. There's like no other daw that's breaking new grounds - the rest are playing catch up.

S1 is still very young, it's version 3, (V1 was like one step above audacity, so only really 2 versions as a full fledged daw. PT still has major issues after 12 versions. Look at how far S1 has come, and it still hasn't hit its peak.

Most people don't know that there's only around 10 guys behind S1, and that's the entire team not just programmers.

Ps. Not to bash on Cubase, but where do you think they got the idea for the "lower zone" from? ;)

Pps. No iLok, No e-liscencer doesn't get any better than that.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  17. Mixdowner

Mixdowner Kapellmeister

well, a sampler track is a something quick & dirty by definition, for serious work you need a proper sampler.

18. DieM

DieM Rock Star

Cubase 9 is looking pretty good now with the new features. Do you think there will ever be a patched version of Cubase Elements 9?

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  19. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Sure, but a sampler track is exactly what you want for something like drum one shots. It's not Ableton's drum rack. Hell, it's not Ableton's 'Simpler'. But it's something. Way better than opening up a whole pop-out plugin UI just so you can tap a few midi notes onto the arrangement.

20. Mixdowner

Mixdowner Kapellmeister

like it or not, what today is taken for granted (a sidebar + visual timeline) was first implemented on Cubase (actually in its first incarnations Cubeat and Cubit) and same for the right-click icons/options, ask yourself why every other Daw in the planet stole both concepts ... it's too easy to bash cubase in 2016 when the competitors are just ripping off ideas and selling daw for a half or less than half your price.

without dongles Stein would be already out of business.

and who told you there will never be a dongle for ableton or S1 ?
    to top it off they could also switch their pricing to monthly/yearly subscriptions just like protools does .. dongle AND subs !