Von Steyr revisits S1.

Discussion in 'Studio One' started by Von_Steyr, Dec 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Many days and nights have passed since that infamous thread.
    Now that the winter is here and we are again lubing our faders next to a warm fire and a bottle of boutique 2$ wine, we are also looking back at our past and re-evaluating our deeds and words.

Seems like they have addressed the engine behavior because it runs better with the latest updates.
    As i am re-mixing a song i did in S1 months ago, i ask myself if i was too quick to judge?
    Perhaps i didn`t devote enough time to it or perhaps i was just looking for the negative aspects too much, instead of focusing what it actually offers.

The big question, can you do orchestra in S1?I would say yes, but with certain limitations.
    And its actually a different kind of experience because it pushes you to work differently, something that might be actually good for your growth in music production.

The only thing that does bother me in S1 is the lack of native tools like in Cubendo, channel EQ and channel strip.
    Im used to working fast, but its not that big of a deal.
    Cpu performance on my pc is still not comparable to cubendo, though the difference is smaller now.
    Strange cpu peaks happened here and there.

I think S1 will never be Cubase and i may have viewed this from a negative aspect, which now i think was wrong.
    It shouldnt be and it clearly isnt.Many similarities, sure, but i actually think now that its workflow is a strong point.
    Yes it doesnt have 1001 tools like Cubase, but so what, it is what it is and what it offers is pretty damn good.
    It offers fast work with no BS.
    I also think S1 changed things on the market, it changed many things and because its S1 is an underdog in the DAW market, it gets extra points for standing against the big names so good and kicking their asses, made things more competitive and exciting.
    Who wants a world with only one DAW? Not me.

So in this spirit i have to realize i also took some of my words too far, to an unprofessional level, especially with @tapekiller , who i have to apologize for the debate that got a bit out of hands.:cheers:

All in all S1 is a very powerful tool that can rival any DAW on the market and we can be so glad that we live in an age where DAWs are now at a really high tech level for fast and reliable work.

Respect.:shalom:

VS

• Like Like x 11
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. m9cao

m9cao Producer

I don't, never buy Steinberg software, and STOP STOP STOP, I don't need S1. My favorite DAW is ????XXXX%@&*(%@, will not become your target

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. Aliens

Aliens Guest

How bored or inciting do you have to be to start another S1 troll thread, even if dressed up in passive aggressive clothing?

This bored :lmao:

Make laughs not war lol

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  5. DanielFaraday

DanielFaraday Platinum Record

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. foster911

foster911 Guest

Revisit S1 ---> Revisit X ----> Revisit Y ---> Revisit .......................... and your final destination will be FLStudio because it's the eventual eternity.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  7. Pereira

Pereira Producer

Here too....I add that sometime it (still) crashes when exiting (if you don't wait enough after closing the song..), and when it crashes it's almost impossible to kill the process: only sometime disconnecting and reconnecting can help, if not you have to wait minutes and minutes......:trashing:
    But these are acceptable issues, and maybe caused by not good plugins....for the rest....great daw indeed :bow:

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  8. tapekiller

tapekiller Kapellmeister

It's all good man, as long as you can see things objectively you'll get along with many other people too.
    :cheers:

9. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Crashed on me as well, happens on every daw, occasionally.
    I am kind of excited to see what S1 will bring in the future.
    Sometimes all it takes is a new comer that shakes things up, thats the beauty of innovation, competition is a wonderful thing.

10. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

Couldn't agree more with your post (except maybe that I don't have enough experience to compare with Cubase).

Anyway, regarding orchestral style, you wrote that there are some limitations: I assume that you compare with Cubase? Can you please elaborate on these limitations?

11. tapekiller

tapekiller Kapellmeister

anyway there are quite few native effects like "channel Strip", "fat channel" and "pro eq" that can also be expanded in the mixer view.
    I would include VT1 and RC500 but they are sold separately, although they are quite nice imho, cause honestly I'd never see myself using the stock plugins.
    Besides, even if it's not strictly related we now have new mix engine FX, which act before mixer inputs.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Lack of midi editing tools, but to be honest Cubase has been around for a very long time.
    I could work around certain limitaions which in the end gave me excellent results, i just took a few different steps than what i am used to.

13. Ankit

Ankit Guest

Revisit Cubendo.... is it better than reaper? naahh... so what?... cubendo is great but with certain limitations...
    :rofl:

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Im actually blown away how fast S1 is evolving and adding real meaningful features while certain DAW giants still think about whether they should implement basic, much needed functions.

15. Mixdowner

Mixdowner Kapellmeister

let's be honest, now they all rave about S1 and Ableton because they're cracked, that's the truth plain and simple.

for anything else, so many people downplaying the importance or Midi editing, i wonder what the fuck these guys are playing when they start making a song ? all loops and samples ? really i'm curious, maybe i'm still living in caves.

16. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Yep. :rofl:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  17. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Not true bro.
    I`m a legit 8.5 pro user.
    S1 is seriously breathing behind the giants necks and in many cases even offers better solutions.
    All it takes is one man, one company or whatever to shake things up, which is a positive thing for all of us.

18. HeklaCF63

HeklaCF63 Guest

Legit S1 user here I came from Cubase VST/32 plus I have Cubase 8 elements. Both are amazing
    For me as a legit S1 user coming from Cubase VST/32 I use S1 instruments,addictive drums and new sonic arts vice for sample based vibes. I get all my midi parts to audio ASAP and s1 is super quick for this. 'Transform to audio' is a amazing function.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  19. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

I liked Studio One a lot. If you say they fixed the CPU, I guess I believe you but I'm not going back. I do better work in Cubase and I feel more comfortable. That's really all there is to it.

But on paper, Studio One offers a better workflow. At least one that is clearly more convenient when using the most basic bread and butter functions. In practice, Cubase suits me better for reasons I don't fully understand but absolutely appreciate.

One of the things Studio One should really incorporate in a hurry is something comparable to track versions. That's one of the biggest things that was new to me with Cubase. Just hitting a key command to duplicate track version before making major changes to something important, so if I fuck it up I can go right back to where I was before. Peace of mind without cluttering up the project with duplicate tracks everywhere (which would have been hidden, but still, when you start doing some deep mixing and showing/hiding bunches of tracks, things become confusing if you havent meticulously deleted extras)

• Like Like x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  20. wuzzle

wuzzle Platinum Record

Lesser Galactic Co-ordinates: Earth (0.0.0)
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  21. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

So that's like the revolver tracks in Sam right ? That's a cool feature, one of my favorite in samplitude, cool there is that in cubase too, plus you can incorporate all the revolver tracks of the selected track in the comp manager and do the perfect track with all the variations you made...Good for vox tracks but about anything too....