Volume automation gets noticed in mix

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by MaXe, Apr 19, 2019.

1. MaXe

MaXe Kapellmeister

The problem I have with volume automation for making mix more dynamic is whenever I automate volume boosting or decreasing it 0.5 or 1 dB it gets noticed. But when I hear professional tracks, it seems there is so much volume automation and dynamics, different instruments come and go without even getting noticed!(Even in professional tracks with a few elements and instruments). By getting noticed, I mean when I for instance decrease volume track suddenly feels empty or when I boost volume it seems the balance between elements gets ruined. Worser than that, is when you want to limit your track for final loudness those volume automations pop out asf.

3. Lieglein

Lieglein Audiosexual

It's all about composition and production. This has nothing to do with mixing in the first place. The sounds that those professionally produced songs use are extremely specific chosen for their place and their effect in the song. Those people have an extremely high experience in producing and very often come up with ideas in sound design I never even thought of. For example "fancy" by "iggy azaela" there is a rhythm going on created out of "hey, hey, hey" on the left side through the whole song in the background and it just fits perfectly.

It's really just a hell lot of experience and experimenting with sounds and sound design and making the right choices at the right situation in the song.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  4. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Audiosexual

Not sure if I'm understanding correctly but if you're talking about making volume automations to help create dynamics in a progression The mastering process usually really helps to make the volume changes blend more. Based on your other question in a different thread regarding a more thematic piece, I usually do this kind of automation as a last resort and try to emphasize a natural dynamic in the composition within the eb and flow of a progression.

5. MaXe

MaXe Kapellmeister

"if you're talking about making volume automations to help create dynamics in a progression The mastering process usually really helps to make the volume changes blend more"
    Could you please explain how mastering process helps to make volume automation blend more? Like compressing the whole thing?( Then it lessens the dynamics that way )
    I am sure someone with experience can tell me more about this. It is just when I do volume automation it does not feel good although I increase dynamics, it sounds cheesy and out of place! Can some address what type of issue this is and how to fix it.

6. MaXe

MaXe Kapellmeister

One way is to squash your tracks with volume automations to blend more but I think that's the wrong way to think about it.

7. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Audiosexual

The mastering process isn't about squasing anything. If you listen to a sound track they are dynamic but everything cuts through where it needs to. Multi band comp and eq are some of the ways. I don't know specifics of your instances though. Do you have something uploaded to demonstrate?

8. MaXe

MaXe Kapellmeister

Well I don't have particular example right now. However, I would like to know more about blending volume automations and the mastering procedure to blend elements without squashing them?!

9. MaXe

MaXe Kapellmeister

In addition, I want to know more about EQ automation too. I don't know how some of the guys do micro EQ automation on tracks since every second the track might evolve and have some automation on it so the EQ has to change according to track and it is extremely time consuming! Or probably you automate EQ real-time? That would crazy since you cannot judge frequency before hearing them! Automation is not discussed that much and there is no really real world applicable resource(Tutorial) for learning it

10. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

i think if you feel that your track feels hollow or empty, no mixing trick will turn it into something rich.

11. Lieglein

Lieglein Audiosexual

Processing automation is mostly done in broadcasting and post production situations and to do this in real-time is not crazy if you have a serious studio with some quality metering going on. You should look for some digital consoles used by post production studios. Real-time signal processing is nothing magical if you have the right tools.

12. scrappy

scrappy Platinum Record

bowels of the skullery at the court of king boris
    Hi @MaXe
    you might be right that the changes stick out like a sore thumb and you need to improve/change your approach.
    On the other hand, you may just be being too hard on yourself.
    We're biased about our own work and can often fool ourselves into thinking things are much worse than they actually are.
    It works the other way too, some of us too often think our work is the bees knees when it might actually be mediocre :winker:

Try playing the track back without looking at the screen (or while sitting in another room even) to see if your ears (not your eyes) notice the problems as much. try losing your place in the piece so you forget which part of it you're listening to. loop it if necessary, read something or have a conversation while it's playing.
    Do your automation changes still stand out as much?

Or try playing the track to folk who's musical opinion you trust but who haven't the foggiest where or what the automation is or does and see if they notice anything uncomfortable or untoward (again with their ears, not their eyes).
    then, if the problem persists, if everyone notices your 'mistakes', if you're still not satisfied, you can move on to technical adjustments.
    It's all about learning as we go along.
    good luck.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  13. MaXe

MaXe Kapellmeister

The problem is I don't have the budget to have the right tools. At least, not now. I have to find workarounds. I have to do it the hard way!