Volko Audio releases free Q3D Rack Mount EQ Plugin (NTI Nightpro EQ3D Emulation)

Discussion in 'Software News' started by mild pump milk, Apr 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

Volko Audio has released Q3D, an emulation of the NTI Nightpro EQ3D rack mount equalizer.

This 6 band eq has an extremely wide Q. One of the bands is AIR that is a hi shelf filter. You can change the AIR frequency and boost. It has a modern, easy-to-use user interface. In the past, it has been used for very famous recordings and generally for vocals.

Q3D features six bands. The first four peaking bands have the center frequencies 10 Hz (SUB), 40 Hz, 160 Hz and 650 Hz. Each band is 2.5 octaves wide. The fifth high-frequency shelving band has a cutoff frequency of 2.5 kHz.

The sixth "air" band is a -boost only- high-frequency shelf with five selectable cutoff frequencies:
    • 2.5 kHz.
    • 5 kHz.
    • 10 kHz.
    • 20 kHz.
    • 40 kHz.
    The amount of boost or attenuation is continuously variable from -15 dB to 15 dB on all bands except the air band which has an amount of boost that is continuously variable from 0 dB to 20 dB.

More:
    • Extremely High Processing Efficiency.
    • Proprietary topology which is optimized for low latency, low noise and high dynamic range.
    • Supports sampling frequencies up to 384 kHz.
    • Clickless parameter update.
    Price: Free.

Latest version is 1.0.1, fixed some reported issues related to stability etc.

Read more at www.volkoaudio.com

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    • Like Like x 6
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. sideshowtmc

sideshowtmc Producer

Oohhh the night Pro! Was one of my first and favorite DIY jobs. Wish I still had the pair.. might make some more soon.

4. Ankit

Ankit Guest

Anyone else noticed that it is becoming normal these for equalizers having bands above 20khz ?
    Maybe a new eq marketing strategy which is working these days.

5. ehrwaldt kunzlich

ehrwaldt kunzlich Rock Star

wider bands affect a broader range, so a wide band above 20k also effects the audible range. you can have very gentle boosts or cuts across the tops.

6. DAWinci

DAWinci Newbie

So this is basically a free Maag EQ4?

7. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Or another version of a great and also free lkjb luftikus EQ. You don't even have to give your e-mail and shit to download it. ;)

8. mild pump milk

Less filter order or gentler filter, more audible range you process. Steeper filter, brickwall filter, less or much less or almost no processing for audible range. Simple

9. RedThresh

RedThresh Producer

This isn't a freeware, plug asks for serial and I have 30 days trial... Or did I missed something?

10. ehrwaldt kunzlich

ehrwaldt kunzlich Rock Star

you'll get a free serial key if you register on their site with an email.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. RedThresh

RedThresh Producer

Thank you

12. mild pump milk

Updated to 1.0.1
    Resolved reported/known issues, such as stability, etc.

Re-download please, who has issues. Should work better.

13. RedThresh

RedThresh Producer

Nice! I actually had stability problems on FLS12 and PT12. Upgrading! Have to say I really like this EQ, it might join my EQ mojo.

14. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Anyone tested the Q American series?Is it really worth 299$?

15. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

How to put it... No. :rofl:

Edit: I meant it is not worth $300. But these EQs are really nice. Fast and simple to work with, 3 different sizes and they do sound good. They emulate analogue curves and phase at the nyquist when in "shape mode". That's great! Not many EQs do that, only the best. I would like to see sweepable frequencies, though, but the API original has non-sweepable set frequencies, too.

These are actually refreshingly good mix EQs, especially "A" with it's 3 bands and HP/LP filter set at 50Hz and 15kHz. I like it. :wink: The graphical EQ is really handy with those gentle curves and phase changes. They are all good and good quality in every sense. :wink: Not surgical EQs at all, though.

Regarding GUI, I really like that they went for this easy to see everything, functional design. Only bypass buttons could be a bit larger, b. Everything else looks great IMO. No stupid 3D fish eye gimmicks. Refreshing. They look more humble than they actually are. :headbang:

p.s. regarding the price, I think about half of that would make these a hit probably. They really set the price too high IMHO, even though they're really good. The market is very saturated with EQ plugins and they really don't sound *that different*. I mean digital EQs in general.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  16. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

Not tested. But for the price, i would go with Acqua Acustica Audio sound wise (if you find an API "equivalent") :
    http://www.acustica-audio.com/index...rt&page=shop.browse&category_id=60&Itemid=189

Or Waves API bundle 550A/B 560, and you get API 2500 comp, witch is one of the best comp Waves ever made, for 119 bucks :
    http://www.waves.com/bundles/api-collection

If you really like API serie, Waves is the way to go...even just for the 2500 comp :wink:

17. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Yea, this is very true, so much to choose from these days. Might give Volko a shot.
    Remember the Lurssen Mastering plugin we both disliked. Gave it a try yesterday and i must say its a fun plugin, polishes nicely if you have a good mix.