Voicemeeter ASIO - CPU Glitching and Stuttering

Discussion in 'Software' started by oldskoolproductions, Apr 6, 2020.

1. oldskoolproductions

oldskoolproductions Producer

Can someone help me out here. I have set-up Voicemeeter with my DAW (Cubase) and OBS to record production tutorials for my students in the city I live in. Surprisingly the After trial and error I was successful with the set up and was able to record both short and longer (1 Hour) videos for my students.

Here is the problem. When I am in my Daw and I use VST's I will get stuttering and glitching.
    Especially when I an using VST instruments and effect plugins that are CPU intensive. Typically I would go in my audio buffer settings and increase the buffer to the Maximum and I would not have any CPU problems.

But apparently this does not seem to work in Voicemeeter. So while Voicemeeter will work fine at the beginning of a production project, at the end of the project I can not record video smoothly
    because of Glitching and stuttering.

Any Advice would be great thanks,

OSP

3. SmokerNzt

SmokerNzt Rock Star

try to change USB port !
    or if the computer is not good enough then bounce in place the instrument which you use

4. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

make sure you're not letting Windows and its processes to exclusively snatch the audio device (in audio settings, untick that)

[​IMG]

5. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

I had similar problems, and even worse from my point of view.
    When I played in real time virtual pianos I had almost the impression to play on a rubber keyboard instead of a weighted keyboard.
    That "psycho-cinetic-acoustical" illusion was because of audible lag from the key trigger to speaker / headphone, that was not there using just ASIO, not routed through Voicemeeter.

Sorry to say that I resolved almost all my issues only switching to Odeus Asio Link Pro, never had that problem anymore.
    Of course if I overload DAW I can get stutters, I increase buffer and they're gone.

Voicemeeter has fancy looking and easy setup, but it cannot beat Odeus in performance.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. albert001

albert001 Producer

Good suggestion from orbitbooster. You can mix and match WDM audio and ASIO with it(And More).
    I don't know if it will work flawlessly with additional video processing, I have never done that.
    But it is worth a try!

https://www.give.academy/posts/2018/03/02/AsioLinkPro/

You can get it also from the sister site, but the one from give academy is the latest version.

If you need help with the setup, PM me!
    I was once an Odeus customer...!

7. oldskoolproductions

Thanks I will give this a try.

Cheers!
    OSP

8. oldskoolproductions

thanks, I thought the company went under last year. The version I was using had stopped working.... Whats worse is that i paid for iy and did not get any support from them.

Cheers,
    OSP

9. oldskoolproductions

Thanks. I just got it. I will give it a try.

Cheers,
    OSP

10. albert001

albert001 Producer

I see...!
    The link I gave you included an explanation why the Asio link activation stopped working!
    In short:
    John Shield(The DEV Of Asio Link) died in early 2017.
    His nephew replayed on a reedit-treat, where people were raving about the activation issue.
    Back then he said, that he will look in to the possibility of a permanent activation, but after a wile, and no additional replay from him about the subject, some other people took the plunge of writing a patch for every one to use.

And here we are after 2 years, people keep using it.
    Let's hope, that this unicorn will last for a couple of more years...!
    It would be a bad day in my life, wen this fine piece of software engineering is not working anymore, because of some Win-feature updates!!!

11. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

I love Asio Pro, too. I found it confusing at first, but a little trial and error and I had 3 profiles for different uses.
    One for recording from any source (like any or all of the 7.1 channels of a video playing on VLC) straight into a DAW.
    Another profile for recording audio in via my secondary ASIO device, and third, one for using ASIO Pro's LAN options.
    I ran my DAW machine with Teamspeak from a much less-powerful computer in another part of the house, and thought it was pretty good.
    The only giveaway was the slightly fuzzy graphics. Then I used it side-by-side with my "twin" gaming machine (same i7 7700 non-K , but only 16Gig memory and a better video card), and it was like I was on the DAW machine.
    One thing it unfortunately CAN'T do is to make more than one ASIO device available.
    I sure wish that was possible...

12. albert001

albert001 Producer

Hi DoubleTake(My Asio Link Brother), I hope that you and your family is doing well!?:)
    You can actually, you just have to throw ASIO4All in to the mix.
    ASIO4All reported latency is not very precise, but with an i7 7700 you can get some decent latency out of it.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020