voice to text ?!

Discussion in 'PC' started by flyerfly, Feb 2, 2023.

1. flyerfly

flyerfly Member

I have a 1hour long audio from a meeting I need to transcribe...
    It seems every online solution is paid, and also I found a sketchy "VovSoft Speech to Text Converter 2.1 WiN" which I didnt trust ....

Does anybody know if there is any free software or web service that can help me?
    Thank you!!!

3. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

The creative solution: Upload to YouTube as hidden video, download automatically generated subtitles with "YT-DLP" or some YouTube download webservice.

Advantage: You don't have to play back the file in real time.

Option 2: "Live transcribe" by Google (free) or Otter.ai by Otter (freemium)
    Disadvantage: You have to play back the file for the full hour.

If someone in your family has a Office 365 sub, then Word can transcribe audio files (drop down next to 'Dictate').

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. mk_96

mk_96 Audiosexual

It's available on the sister site. As long as you download it from there it should be clean.

5. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

This one uses Windows stock Speech To Text when using offline mode.
    A long time ago Dragon Dictate or similar were the bosses in offline SpeechToText but I've lost track.

6. Isn't that something that you can do with any smartphone? I mean, that's how I'm writing this post

7. suss

suss Newbie

Well while we are on the topic, i have a similar question. Hope you dont mind me asking, but i need same as the author off this thread, but i need text TO speach software.

Currently i use amazonn polly but its like 1000 rows worth of scrpts in excel colums that i then have to maticulously copy & paste it in to amazon polly & proof & listen + Download / name file specifically, one by one.Into mp3/wavs/JSONS.

Is there some sort of batch transcriton service/software out there that could transcribe text to audio like amazon polly, but can do them in batch? Paid is cool as too
    Thanks.

8. Mind Cover

Mind Cover Member

9. juliaprado8801

juliaprado8801 Ultrasonic

shure sm57

10. I use a lot voice to text with my iPhone and it works quite well. What you can do in order to transcribe audio of the meeting is:
    • Connect headphone to the computer where the audio file is
    • Lay your headphone near the smartphone and press the mic on note app to start listening
    • play your file from computer
    • Enjoy!
    Just out of curiosity, I just did this test with a youtube video (standup comedy central) and it worked. Not sure it will work wit airpods, I guess you’ll need a standard headphone.
    When you're done, you'll have to re-read everything, as there will probably be imperfections in the text, but most of the work is already done.
    Obviously, a lot depends on the quality of the recording:
    interference from other voices, reverberation from the room, the speaker's accent...

All in all, I think it's worth a test with your meeting file - it's free

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2023
  11. DrumcodeX

DrumcodeX Platinum Record

Windows only and I'm not sure if it would fit your needs, but you could give balabolka a shot.
    It's freeware and for my usecases it's doing a good job.
    Not really sure about the "batching" part you mentioned, but basically balabolka spits out everything you paste in as an audio file, no matter how much it is.

12. masterheavy

masterheavy Noisemaker

I use
    https://wideo.co/text-to-speech/

It's limited to 2000 characters in this free interface, but you can do it in chunks, download the file and cut it back together - and for my language it has a pretty good pronunciation.

13. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

Dspeech
    Freeware, lot of options, rendering to mp3, etc.

14. Vientoquepiensa

Vientoquepiensa Newbie

Hola. Con "Edición de subtítulos", que es gratis, puede cargar el audio/video y automáticamente lo subtitulará, luego podrá corregir los detalles en el archivo final. https://github.com/SubtitleEdit/subtitleedit/releases ...And for those who need to go from text to audio, there is the famous "Textaloud" that can be found there... and if you want it easier, there are portable versions that work very well. luck!!

15. rOne

rOne Noisemaker

Haven't test it yet but there's this AI thing called Whisper.

16. odod

odod Rock Star

google docs can type while you are talking .. Voice Typing feature

17. Shirvami1

Shirvami1 Guest