Voice altering advice please

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by rem, Nov 14, 2014.

1. rem

rem Member

Hello all,

I am doing my first voice-over:dubbing project and I would really appreciate your advice. I am generally ok recording voice (spoken voice here, not vocals) and I get decent enough quality for my project. However, I need to make some alterations in places and I would value your recommendations as to what techniques and/or software I could use. Here are the main things I need to do:

1. Alter the pitch and timbre of the voice (basically to transform a high-pitched male voice into a deep baritone kind of voice).
    2. I some cases, I need to reproduce some special effects (all voice-based but many kinds so difficult to be specific here). I am aware of some software like voice changer but wondered if there was some good professional software you could recommend instead.
    3. I also need to reproduce some effects I can be specific about and which have more to do with impulses and reverb I guess. In particular, I need to simulate radio, TB and telephone voices. I know that AudioEase have some brilliant software for that but I don't have it and it's too expensive for a single project. Have you used some good alternatives that you could recommend?

Thank you for your comments

rem

3. Gramofon

Gramofon Producer

Impulses for telephone vocals? A simple EQ+Filter+Saturation can do it all. Or recording your speakers with a mobile phone or mp3 player or cheap microphone, lel. Or compressing to 64 kbps, heheh.

For changing voice pitch, I guess any audio editor would do the job. Maybe Audition for higher precision resampling or DAW time stretching or formant shifting etc., but even Audacity could do it. It's more about the quality of the resampling algorithm and/or settings.

As for the other effects... What effects? I still doubt it would be something that can't be done with simple plug-ins or programs.

4. rem

rem Member

Thanks a lot for the tips. I'm not very good at handling sound from first principles, which is why I was asking about software. I saw a demo of AudioEase Speakerphone that did a fantastic job without much tweaking but it's expensive.

As for the other effects, as <I said, too many to be specific but for example a deep gravelly voice, devil-like, changing the voice pitch without stretching, a realistic tremolo effect for a trembling voice...all this is for per-recorded fragments I need to adapt.

Anyway, thanks again for this and I will try to get on with something like audition.

5. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

You probably want something with independent pitch and formant control.

I'm not aware of anything builtin in Audition that allows you to control pitch and formant separately. IZotope RX3 Advanced's Time & Pitch module does, however (open advanced settings).

If you want to do it in a DAW, Reaper has a bulitin Reapitch with pitch and formant control. Zplane's elastique VST (plugin) has both also.

Also look into MeldaProduction's Mtremolo & Mvibrato (VSTs)

6. lampwiikk

lampwiikk Member

NI Reaktor also has some great voice based effects

7. rem

rem Member

THank you very much. I will take a look at those right now.

8. gorri

gorri Ultrasonic

If you´re using cubase/nuendo, you can try grungelizer as well without cracks and noise... Most eq´s have a preset for telephone/radio. Anyway, if you´re gonna use these kind of fx a lot, speakerphone would be a good investment..

K-))

9. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

There is a tutorial video in AudioSex Academy Part I: Mixing that goes into the telephone transmission loss effect. Check the AudioSex Academy Table Of Contents post to quickly locate it. :wink:

10. rem

rem Member

I Don't use Cubase but I take your point about Speakerphone. It really is very good. Maybe I need to invest.

Catalyst: thank you for your help, as usual. I wasn't aware of the Academy series.

Just checked it out; what an amazing resource. Fantastic job. I'll be reading forever...