Vocal plugin chain shootout

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by One Reason, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Burninstar

Burninstar Platinum Record

When one records vocals you have to estimate how much headroom you might need. for most Pop/Rock/R&B vocals -5 to -10db beneath 0. Leave more headroom if you anticipate a wild or live stage vocal.

If you have a mic preamp, set your levels with the software input fader at a positive level, meaning like +10db. Then when you adjust the mic preamp you will automatically have 10db of headroom there.

It is not uncommon to track vocals with light compression, 2-5 db ratio, gain reduction 5db or less. Recording a vocal with peaks hitting on the track meter -5db is ideal.

When applying more processing, Gain staging becomes very important. Check the Input and Output of every processor that use. If it does not have a meter on the input or output use a plugin meter, before or after the component.
    Dorrough meters are excellent.

Multi-effect plugins are a little trickier if the input is not strong enough or is to strong they will not operate correctly. Watch the Input level closely.

When gain staging a vocal chain make sure non of the individual components are clipping and you should be fine. If the vocal is still not loud enough in the mix, you need to turn down the instruments and raise the master fader.

One engineer trick is called ducking. You run the music only through a compressor and sidechain the vocal to the compressor. Then blend the vocal with the "ducked" music. This makes the music turn down a little when the vocal is present.

2. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Some brilliant info Burninstar, thanks very much for taking the time to post this stuff, its helping me out quite a bit. The ducking on the drums and to some extent on the main guitar track helps immeasurably, and the info on db levels, very helpful!

What is your background in music if I may ask? and do you use Live at all?

3. Burninstar

I Learned to play drums when I was a teen, I've played in everything from Rock bands to a 20 piece jazz orchestra, even a reggae band for a couple of years. Out of high school I started running sound out on the road full time. That led to learning at a recording school that I ended up teaching, engineering, and producing at. I worked there for 14 years. I was there when digital recording came along, and MIDI sequencing started. We had all the newest gear and had to stay current. During this time I also worked at about a dozen commercial studios doing Independent band projects, Radio commercials, and sound for video. I also worked for a small video studio for a couple of years doing everything from camera operation and 3D animation to producing and editing complete programs. I have also had a big hand in building and installing professional audio and video studios. I have done probably a thousand or more recording sessions ether as an engineer, producer or artist, I released my own album in 1985. Now, I record at home and run a successful entertainment business for the last 11 years, I have 4 people working for me doing DJ, Karaoke, live sound and video shows, We do an approximation of 15-20 shows a week. Why Karaoke and DJ shows? Because I make a better income with them than any of my other occupations. I enjoy checking out this forum and contributing when I have the time to. Thanks One Reason for the interesting topics you keep coming up with. Currently not a live user, but that could change in the future. I'm still going strong.

Music has been very,very good to me.

4. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Niiice.... well thanks for the run down, very impressive.. glad to have you on here and nice to know what background come from, especially when getting advice from them,

I think I'll start a first names thread so maybe we can all get to know each other. I'm John.

The info you have given me has been invaluable already, thanks for helping out.

Heres my one tip.... GET LIVE 8.25, I dare say, you'll be intrigued and impressed. :grooves: :mates: *yes*

I'd give anything for music to be very very good to me. After 20 years, still learning, and being a bit of a perfectionist I can't seem to settle for anything less than what I'm truly capable of in this modern environment.

I never cut my teeth on any of the older hardware methods, jumped straight into early Cubase versions, then been in Live since version 5, just recently have gotten FAR more concerned about sound quality, mixing, engineering as opposed to \ as well as, the songwriting side.

Thanks again.

5. lampwiikk

lampwiikk Member

So if I might ask Burninstar, what computer setup are you using for your home stuff? You seem like a guy who has some fairly widespread knowledge, I'm thinking about maybe upgrading my computer in the next year, and am curious what you might recommend, as far as processor, motherboard, ram, and hard drive? Obviously off topic, sorry

6. obscure

obscure Newbie

@lampwiikk
    Next year the new intel cpu's are coming out. (well I think they were slated for later this year, but obviously not gonna happen)

Also, please, this is ridiculously off topic. You can start your own thread in the correct section 'Digital Audio Workstation', under 'Hardware'. I'll even link you. Alternatively there is a good sticky on the Gearslutz forum
    - http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/560019-today-we-build-our-studio-pc-thread.html. Please read through all of it to find people's latest and greatest builds.

I hope you continue posting correctly :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

7. Burninstar

I use a HP i5 processor desktop, 8 gig ram, nothing fancy, I have been about 90% in the box and have been using the stock sound card, only recording 1 Track at a time. I have several audio mixers that I use for mic preamps. I have several audio monitor systems for reference. I have several laptops that I use for shows, The newest being an i7 HP, 8 gig ram, I am thinking of using it for music production also.

I have tried Live8 about a year ago, I had been using FL studio at the time and had collected many plugins. When I installed Live8 and first ran it, it choked on the plugins. After several times restarting the program it eventually scanned all my plugins, It took a long time and was very frustrating. Then I noticed that some of the plugins did not work in Live, and even worse some of the plugins that were working well in FL studio had become unregistered or quit working altogether. It was a royal pain in the arse, and I regretted installing it. However, I did get my head around it and enjoyed using it for about 6 months.

Reaper installed without any problems. I also found several plugins that would not open in FL studio that worked in Reaper.

I since have a different machine now, but I am still a little leery of installing Live8. Hell after that I am Leery of installing any additional DAW software on my system. Am I too paranoid?

Have you had any problems like that, or have found any plugins not working in Live8?

8. lampwiikk

lampwiikk Member

@Obscure: I know, I know lol, sorry...
    @Burninstar, thanks for indulging my off topic little inquiry. The only thing I ever had problems with in Live was SampleTank, which cleared up after I just ran Live as an Admin each time. I think as long as you are happy with your DAW and are being productive, then just keep it. Although I have recently been lured by Studio One v2... lol

But back to vocal chains, I wonder how many people there are out there like me, who get depressed everytime they try to do their own vocals? Yeah I use Melodyne and Nectar and all that, but man I just can't stand my own voice. When I was younger I had a fairly decent voice, was in some musicals and bands and stuff, but after working in construction for 13 years, I find that my vocal cords are shot. Really bums me out...

9. Burninstar

lampwiikk, I don't have a lot of time but I want to tell you a little story. When I was a lad in high school many years ago my chorus director actually told me to give up, with your voice you will never be able to sing.
    I am a lot older now and have a thriving Karaoke DJ business. I sing 6 nights a week and continue to push my limits. Nobody knows my name globally, but I have become a great singer. I can say this because I Have over 1000 singers history's in my karaoke software that I have herd and helped to sing.

Your vocal chords are like any other muscle in your body, If you work with your voice you will become better. I have seen this with many singers. your voice is something that lasts a lifetime and never wares out. Look at Tony Bennett or notice most the worlds greatest singers are older, Like Opera singers. Don't give up keep working your throat and you can get back to and even surpass where you were vocally.

Good Luck Singing

10. lampwiikk

lampwiikk Member

Hey thanks for the encouragement brother perfect example of why I love this forum!

11. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

yeah, don't give up or get too bummed out mate... there's also ways of helping on vocals, I'll post some of what I do when im not so damn tired.