vocal mixing technique

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by shivang, Mar 22, 2016.

1. shivang

shivang Ultrasonic

how to mix a dry sounding vocal. here is what i m looking for ---->>>

3. djdarkness

djdarkness Kapellmeister

Badra Bahar, do you have a raw vocal we could scrutinize? There is no “one fits all” process when mixing vocals. We can only help if we know what type of vocal you’d like to transform into something similar to what you posted up here.

4. shivang

shivang Ultrasonic

i need to know the technique used in this vocal mixing

5. RMorgan

RMorgan Audiosexual

Regarding mixing technique, there's really nothing special in those vocals.

Apparently, the vocals have been auto-tuned/melodyned a little, nothing too radical. Aside from that, the usual EQ, compressor, etc...

Everything else is reasonably well balanced, leaving adequate space so the vocals can sit comfortably in the middle.

6. Ankit

Ankit Guest

You said it yourself, Dry sounding vocals, less wet, more dry effects. But effects are present.

7. Nimbuss

Nimbuss Platinum Record

I could be wrong but it sounds like the vocal has been slightly lowpassed or a nice dynamic mic without a wild sibilance boost was used.
    It also sounds like the low-mids were boosted a tiny bit to cut through the mix.

The Waves Maxxbass plugin sometimes works for me when the low-mids of vocals need some extra presence, a graphic EQ could work too.

Check this video out:

Dave has some nice parallel compression techniques which could work out for you.

Just some thoughts but it might help :bow:

8. shivang

shivang Ultrasonic

i tried every thing but sound doesn't come out exactly like this

9. shivang

shivang Ultrasonic

does expensive microphones play a great role in good sounding vocals

10. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Large diaphragm condenser mic (with lowcut), with pop killer helps. Good preamp, good (dead) room/vocal booth and good compressor helps. Some autotune, parallel compression, EQ, de-essing, etc also helps.

11. RMorgan

RMorgan Audiosexual

Expensive microphones, pre-amps, room, etc...Yes, they make a huge difference.

The singer is still the most important part, though.

12. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

The cost of mic doesn't depend on quality (or not always). Possibly the cost is for brand, circuitry/structure/architecture and how it is made. Some cheap mics are better than expensive, and vice versa. Just one may record highs so smooth, or saturated mids etc. So, quality depends on singer(s) you are recording, material you are working on, preamp, high-quality commutation, ADC, room, mixing techniques, other gear and/or plugins, audio editors to clean all the useless recorded sh*t, and many more....
    Some good cheap mics are Oktava, Rode and some others.
    Not all expensive mics can sit in the mix, and not all cheap ones.

13. coolbeanz

coolbeanz Platinum Record

hate to be a party-pooper, but there are some factors i don't think you're considering in getting your vocal to sound 'exactly like this'...

1. do you know if the original mix was done in a treated room? is your room treated the same exact way as the engineer that did the original mix?
    2. do you know what equipment was used (mics, console, effects, etc), and do you have similar/same equipment access?
    3. do you know the exact settings & parameters that were used by the engineer for the effects used?

and probably the most important...

4. you and the engineer are two different people, so there's a good chance your skill sets are not alike, and even if they are, you & the engineer likely do not HEAR the same, since you're two different individuals.

i run into these scenarios too when mixing. instead of going for exact results in the reference, i just use the reference for inspiration to do my own thing.

so just my opinion; get as close as you can to getting your vocals to sound like the link, but to do it EXACTLY like this is...i don't want to say impossible, so i'll just say not likely. not many will be able to tell you the EXACT technique used to mix this, in what order, and what settings....unless you ask the engineer who did it directly.

good luck!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016