Vocal Mixing question.....

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by Trevor Gordon, Feb 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Trevor Gordon

Trevor Gordon Platinum Record

I luckily have someone else taking care of the mic stuff - I'm just doing the editing and mixing. I'm really liking it so far. The original recorder did a good job of effects and layering and I just had to touch things up and bring it forward in the mix. I think it's good so far. I'll post it up in a bit and I'd like peoples opinion on it who are really experienced with vocals....(that would probably mean you've made several tracks with vocals to back up your knowledge). :):like: Thanks for all the info guys. Very helpful! Love this community - always so forthright with answers!

2. Trevor Gordon

Hey SUb,

I made a low frequency channel of his voice narrowed and then I made a high frequency really wide so it felt up front with the lows and broad with the highs and found that worked really well. I was lucky to have a lot of it done for me so I just did some tweaks....usually when I include vocals it's just interluded with the rest of my production, but in this case it's the main bit - so certainly a whole new thing for me! Thanks for the info, man.

3. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

Anal your vocals. Note the dominant/fundamental frequencies.

Route all your other instruments to a bus (or make an instro), and EQ down those frequencies which clash with the vocals.

(or if you're mixing in surround, have your vocals hard center, and EQ every other channel, surround makes this so easy)

A lot of instros i see have a dip around the 500-1k area, RIGHT WHERE THE VOCALS ARE. Coincidence???

4. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Volume. Turn everything else down. The voice will then become dominant.

If you turn up the body (around 500 for male) and the nasality (around 1kHz) the voice will appear closer, because of the proximity effect. If you want sounds to appear more in the back you roll-off lows and highs and add more predelay. It does this naturally/acoustically, and we recognize this natural phenomena.

Tip: Also cut the lows under 120 or so (rumble, booms, etc), and boost some air (10k+) with high shelving EQ (which will bring out the breaths and the "airyness".

5. I think that I need to reevaluate my flow to follow your idea! ROFL

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. anvier

anvier Ultrasonic

Agreed, Rvox make excelent work bringing the voice to the front, I had forgotten that plugin.

7. Trevor Gordon

ONe other thing I did was use a volume rider for the vox...I found that worked well.

8. Trevor Gordon

Well here's the finished product. I'm happy with it....don't think I will be changing anything. Thanks for all the tips guys! You rock!

9. pinnkola

pinnkola Newbie

I'm using: VFx Provoker