Vocal Effects

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by kingjamm, Oct 17, 2013.

1. kingjamm

kingjamm Newbie

First of all, PLEASE DO MOVE MY THREAD IF I'M ON THE WRONG ONE
    COZ' I CAN'T SEEM TO FIND WHERE THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE, THANKS. :))

Hi guys, me again, the kid with a ton of questions. lol.
    So here it is.... I'am finally done with my vocals,
    I can already filter it, compress it, EQ it, add some nice verb for some roomy voice effect just to make it clean.
    In short, I just learned how to "CLEAN" the vocals.

My big question is "the next step"
    Adding effects, I mean, I've been searching "vocal effects" on youtube, and it is a nightmare...
    It's all vocal effects for DJ's o.O
    So anyway, back to my question...

What are the different effects I could do with my vocals... (NOTE: EXCEPT AUTO-TUNE)
    What I mean are those vocal effects that, dang I can't explain how.
    It's like there is a 2nd Vocal then it's all high pass...

For a clearer view of what am i asking are the vocal effects done on this track of who I can say I'm a fan of.
    They are local artists here on our country. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUEa837K8ac (NOT SURE IF LINK POSTING IS BAD, BUT I'M PRETTY SURE IT'S NOT COZ' IT'S JUST YOUTUBE)

So yeah, those second voices behind specially those ones on the hook parts.
    That would be all, I really hope I get the exact answer I need on how to process it including on what I need (eg vst or tool)
    Thanks. :))

ONE LOVE
    GOOD VIBES

3. DutchMusicMan

DutchMusicMan Newbie

You have got to get 4 or 5 takes of every vocal line, clean them up*, and stack them. So if you have 1 lead vocal and 3 backing vocals, you would get 15-20 vocals tracks in your DAW. After that, pan every vocal line a bit different. The lead vocals should be panned around the center, the backing vocals sould be panned more to the left and right. The backing vocals should be EQ'ed different, less low frequenties and more high frequenties. The lead vocals can have more body. Also use a different reverb, lead vocals short/no predelay and a short reverb, beacking vocals a bit predelay and some more delay with a bit of damping. By stacking more takes of the same vocalpart and spreading them, you get a nice natural 'chorus' effect and and a nice spread. a lot of work, but worth the effort.

*Cleaning up = de-essing, removing unwanted noise, fix minor errors, volume adjustment (Waves Vocal Rider + LA2A compressor) etc.

Nice tools for vocals = iZotope Nectar2 and Waves CLA Vocals. Also nice is the Antares AVOX.

4. kingjamm

kingjamm Newbie

Sounds promising, well I already got Nectar, I would try to check out that waves CLA. Also would try out that technique, thank you so much. :)

5. DutchMusicMan

DutchMusicMan Newbie

Do yo have Nectar 2? Because Nectar 2 is much better then Nectar 1.

6. kingjamm

kingjamm Newbie

It say's iZotope 1.13 o.O

7. DutchMusicMan

DutchMusicMan Newbie

So that is version 1. Version 2 (iZotope Nectar 2 Production Suite)is a lot better: http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/nectar/

8. kingjamm

kingjamm Newbie

Cool. ^_^ by the way.
    I'm getting it already, how to do that thing I posted. :)
    Any other vocal effects you might want to add sir?
    I really want to increase my arsenal on vocals,
    coz' I'm literally 0 on editing vocals.
    I only know to clean them out after recordings.
    So basically all I know is clean mix. :D

9. DutchMusicMan

DutchMusicMan Newbie

If you want strange effects for vocals, you can always use Native Instruments Guitar Rig 5 or Waves GTR. And for NI Reaktor you have some plugins like The Mouth and Razor. Razor has some nice vocoder fx's. And SonicCharge has Permut8. There is 'Void' form ALS Sounlab. There is the Noveltech Vocal Enhancer. NY compression works great on vocals and Sausage Fattener from Dada life also works fine on vocals. etc. etc. But don't limit yourself. You can use all FX on vocals.

10. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

This is just "simple" vocal processing. EQ and compression. No need to go overboard.

Lowcut/highpass (around 140Hz) to remove rumble and un-needed/unwanted information. ~500Hz for "body" (it's usually higher for female vocalists). ~1kHz for nasality. ~6kHz for clarity (6-9kHz for ess'es). 10kHz for "air".
    Compress with around 3:1 ratio, fast attack, medium release. Set threshold to taste (or to how dynamic the content is). Parallel compression is also very nice if done tastefully.
    Bandpassed delay (on tempo-synced 4ths).

Record the lead and center it. Dub (double-track) the harmonies and pan these out left and right.

edit: Large diaphragm condenser. Pop-killer with accurate distance to mic. Good vocal booth (or room). Good preamp. Good audio interface.