VLC Player Version 3 just released—supports for HDR, 8K playback, and much more!

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Futurewine, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I told you not to use 64kbps mp3!!
    Just joking ;)

I agree, K-Lite with MPC-HC it's my one and only choice. After testing everything under the sun.
    VLC is multi platform. You can't compete with Windows-only rivals in complex things like video. VLC comes with internal codecs.
    Not an advantage in Windows but a blessing for Mac users which don't have a choice for video-player (Apple even bans VLC all they can). Specially for MKV or simply advanced MP4 files.

Now that I think of it, VLC has a better subtitle downloader. It can search by name or video file hash. Obviously not a game changer but very cool.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

you have to have the right power cord to hear it.

3. Jeff Maneville

Jeff Maneville Ultrasonic

I just checked out MPC-HC and, you're right, it's great!
    One thing I don't like about is that it doesn't seem to remember the size of the screen I have it set to. For instance, if I watch a video and increase the size of the viewing screen, the next time I watch a video, the size changes. And, if I watch the same video again (looping) it resized, too.

Do you know of a way to set PC-HC to remember the window position and size?

Thanks

4. Futurewine

Futurewine Audiosexual

Suprisingly, while randomly surfing for comparisons / performances between the two (VLC vs MPC-HC), I discovered that PotPlayer much more favored among gadget reviewers. It's like the best experiences, more options than what VLC has (something like that, they say). I haven't tested it myself but find it interesting to look for in the near future. ref: https://www.slant.co/topics/7820/versus/~potplayer_vs_vlc_vs_mpc-hc

https://www.quora.com/How-did-PotPlayer-surpass-VLC-Player-popularity-Is-it-that-good
    https://potplayer.daum.net/

Potplayer Installation guide (and little commenting about when not to use VLC and use Potplayer):

Potplayer overall look and feel:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  5. filtersweep

filtersweep Platinum Record

daum potplayer is way better imo.
    although vlc seems able to play nearly every codec there is.

6. bitvamp

bitvamp Newbie

I tried many players since 90's on at least 4 different PC systems + different Android phones. VLC is worse player i ever seen. I didnt try new version but it always have decoding, hardware acceleration, drop frame problems and it using more CPU than others. I was using SMPlayer on my old PC, its very lightweight but it didnt work well on new PC (cause of unsuported hardware acceleration) and switch to Potplayer. Potplayer is very good but it have some problems about TS files, generally it dont play with actual fps like 50-60, it shows as 25-30. That time i'm using MPC-HC, its another good player but it cant seek fast as Potplayer and it have less features than Potplayer. Other hand, surprisingly Windows 10's own Movies and TV player is good. It dont have any features, It wont play every files cause of unsupported audio codecs but its better than every player if subject is low CPU usage and fast seeking.

7. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

MPHC has this too, when i load a video and i have an internet connection, then MPHC will automatical download a subtitle in my language i selected before.

yes it is only windows, but im only using windows, so i dont not care to much about other OSes.

8. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I don't know. You can tweak almost everything in MPC but I haven't tried that.
    Try playing with the "View" menu Pan&Scan or Video Frame settings.

Well, I said better, not that MPC doesn't has one.

9. Ankit

Ankit Guest

I was using KMPlayer when it came out and stopped using VLC. After that, PotPlayer which is based on KMPlayer arrived, it is CPU efficient version of KMPlayer. It became my go to media player. MPC-HC is my second player which I use in case PotPlayer doesn't work. I tried VLC once for every 5-6 months and always have to uninstall it. VLC v2 was outdated long ago. I will surely give VLC v3 a try about how efficiently it plays media and how well it play different formats.
    For me Potplayer is still the king. Let's see what VLC v3 is capable of.

10. filtersweep

filtersweep Platinum Record

11. yabiss

yabiss Platinum Record

12. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

It's also my main po... [cough], video player and it definitely swallows [cough] everything I spurt at it [cough]. :wink:

13. yabiss

yabiss Platinum Record

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  14. Futurewine

Futurewine Audiosexual

15. Badass

Badass Member

16. bitvamp

bitvamp Newbie

I tried VLC 3.0.0, its still same shit. It shows some videos corrupted or sometimes drop few frames, It cant use hardware acceleration (HW) with some x264/x265 encode settings. With HW Potplayer using %3 CPU for all files, VLC using %25 for some files. Other hand, when it using hardware acceleration its using %0.5-%2 CPU.

17. Ankit

Ankit Guest

18. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

ohh :( thanks for the information.

maybe k-lite will use this version?! because they always used MPHC in their release.
    but wow the skin is super ugly the BE has has.

19. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Now I understand all the fuss about MPC-BE. Part of it for sure for being a popular fork of the "dying" MPC-HC.

I'd say they'll switch when, discontinued or not, some MPC-HC fork features something important that the original doesn't.

20. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

For me it kind of reminds me something...
    480p -> 44.1 Khz
    720p -> 48 Khz
    1080p -> 96 Khz
    2K -> 192 Khz
    4K -> 384 Khz
    zillionK -> zillionx96 Khz

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List