Vital... Best FREE synth ever made?

Discussion in 'Software News' started by aymat, Nov 13, 2020.

1. thedarkbird

thedarkbird Platinum Record

Played around with it for a bit. For the price - being free if you want - this is quite an impressive synth. Can't say if I'll use it often (yet), but for what it is it's hard to go wrong with.

Considering there are people with negative feelings towards U-He synths, this one will inevitably evoke similar feelings by someone somewhere (in wintertime). That's fine, to each their own.

2. PartyShit

PartyShit Producer

I tried it it's horrible
    the presets are using 33-60% CPU load that's insane man my PC runs at 3.1 GHz on all 8 cores this plugin is horrible (free version)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Disagree Disagree x 8
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

Well, this synth has kept me away from this place for several days!
    So I'd say it's a WinWin, all round!

I now agree that we shouldn't necessarily "compare" synths as such. They all have different filters, different amount of oscillators, whatever.
    One of the points I consider very highly of, is how Matt has provided such an impressive synth FOR FREE.
    This is a game-changer, perhaps more so for the beginner on a low budget.
    And even if the Pro version was cracked, there is then the problem of non-related email accounts being used with the online phonetics thing.
    I'm wondering if that would even be a problem though? Anyone?

4. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

That's interesting.
    I did manage to find a few presets that were heavy on my laptop, but that's to be expected because it's only 2.4 GHz!
    But on only 2 cores, I have a smoother experience than you. Strange.
    Logic not Live, though.

5. thedarkbird

I loaded the Abbysun preset, set Oversampling to 4x (High CPU), increased voices from 8 to 16, with my ASIO interface set to 128 samples and I could get away with about 14-15 voices before hogging up my processing capacity (in Bitwig). About double that number of voices with Oversampling 2x. I run a 12 core AMD 3900x at about 4 Ghz.

Just ignore the CPU load meter and see how many voices you can get. My experience with those load meters in DAWs is that they are not always accurate.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. statik

statik Audiosexual

can anybody share the presets, the OSX version seems to have an issue where the presets arent installed when first opening the vst

7. BambooPestle

BambooPestle Producer

Yes, also Studio One CPU meter at least works incorrectly (or maybe as intended) if windows uses power plan with dynamic CPU frequency. As result on simple presets i can see high CPU load because of low CPU frequency and even less load on complex presets because CPU works on full power.

8. I have just tried Serum and Phase Plant and Vital on wavetables, I am of the opinion that it makes no difference except the vital is a little stronger more pressure but the wave plays an almost clean glitch with the effects such as filters or others, unfortunately I have to say that glitch a little too much with serum it is clean, for example the comp filter with serum and with vital it is still quite angular but otherwise it has become really a mega synth

9. thedarkbird

This is from the (free) Windows version, not sure if you can use these on OSX. Copy the contents to the main Vital folder (not the program folder but the folder where the user stuff is supposed to be).

10. signalflow

signalflow Rock Star

11. signalflow

signalflow Rock Star

What version is this from?

12. pizzafresser

pizzafresser Producer

Thanks for the presets guys. They really should have been included in the installer.

13. DanielFaraday

DanielFaraday Platinum Record

Well, chord based deadmouse pluck with 32 poly and high wavetable quality eats 10-14% less than serum and sounds 146% better. Now it's interesting. I did a shitload of first bar growls in vital and it seems like the sound is waaaaaay deeper than in serum. Stereo as a modulation source is a godbless. Enjoyable. It needs more creative filters, and dimension expander. And more advaced table editor obviously.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  14. thedarkbird

The free version.

15. signalflow

signalflow Rock Star

Did anyone buy pro?

16. signalflow

signalflow Rock Star

Okay cool. I posted the plus presets with the extra early access presets.

17. Does anyone have due text to wavetables?

18. Ankit

Ankit Guest

CPU Comparison: Task Manager CPU usage of Ableton Live Process in Win10 x64.

I used 16 voices unison, and 4 effects - dist, del, comp, rev. Core i3 9100f.

CPU Comparison with GUI On:

Vital: 10%
    Serum: 5.8%
    Hive2: 11.2%
    Dune3: 2.5%

CPU Comparison with GUI Off (Thi):

Vital: 3.6%
    Serum: 4.6%
    Hive2: 4.0%
    Dune3: 2.4%

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2020
    • Interesting Interesting x 5
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • List
  19. DanielFaraday

DanielFaraday Platinum Record

It doesn't feels like a cheap compromise at all. The difference between pro and non pro is only bundled presets and tables. You can get subscription and later upgrade to pro.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

First, thanks OP for bringing attention to this, I would've missed it otherwise, probably.

Now, I'm not too familiar with the current crop of wavetable synths (Serum, Dune etc.) apart from Ableton's Wavetable which I'm admittedly on fairly beginner terms with, so I have few points of comparison, so let's just take it as it's own thing here.

First impression after 15 mins of dicking about with the presets: the presets on the free version are... not too good. However, mapping the macro controls to a controller, then playing around with those helps bring them to life. Without those I'd probable given up at this point. Second impression about the sound, this bad boy screams from the rooftops: "I'M DIGITAL!!". Now, it actually makes for a refreshing change to be unashamedly so after years of "analogue creamy warmth"-type things. After playing around with this for a few hours a few adjectives spring to mind: sharp, exact, surgical, that sort.

Now, somehow I'm reminded of the sonic qualities of Korg romplers and digital synths, the N-series, X5DR, Micro-X and the Wavestation, where you have this fairly prominent airy high-end, almost a breathy type thing going on. I could see myself (and will try in the next few days) using this layered with a more fat, static pad thing and using Vital to bring in that ethereal high end and some motion, adding interest.

So I'm not yet entirely sure what to make of this thing, I do like bits of it, but I'll d/l these presets people have posted to this thread (thanks!), see if those work for me better and then get my hands dirty actually trying to program some patches.

But for free you do seem to get a hell a lot of synth, so there's that. If things work out the way I see myself using this, then a purchase is probably in order, for support.

• Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List