Vital... Best FREE synth ever made?

Discussion in 'Software News' started by aymat, Nov 13, 2020.

1. signalflow

signalflow Rock Star

No. $80 is the pro, but honestly there is no real difference between the pro and free tbh in terms of functionality beside additional presets and unlimited text to wavetable.

2. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

That's the Plus version. You must have read that when you paid for it.

3. Ankit

Ankit Guest

No need to leave music over a synth you don't like. I do not listen to mumble rap, doesn't mean I stopped listening to all rap songs.. :P
    This synth is going to be on top 5 for at least 3-4 years. Wait till sound designers put quality sound banks for this synth. If you can't learn this synth, doesn't mean every else can't.

4. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

I just hope the issues are addressed, or we will end up with it AS-IS, graphics, preset handling,etc. never to be fixed, because it became big quickly and the developer stopped caring.
    Just look at Serum ... unable to handle nested subfolders ... every preset maker putting their shit into main folders instead of in subfolders as they ought to be.
    It's as if these developers are Rain Man.
    They can make incredible software, but can't make a fucking menu. :rofl:
    [Edit: don't get me wrong .. I am going to buy this one. One of the few I can afford]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. Ankit

Ankit Guest

Windows 10 have army of developers and there is no tabbed browser yet. Ableton Live took version 11 to introduce comping. Pro Tools still sucks at production. Let's ignore what is out there and make fun of what's missing. :like:
    This is completely a free synth. Dev asks money for additional presets and wavetables which people know they don't need or can have better wavetables and presets for free from the internet. Payment system sounds like a donation system to me.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Olymoon

Olymoon MODERATOR Staff Member

Exactly, and after trying it seriously, I'm willing to give at least 20 dollars X2 so I'll buy 2 licenses. :wink:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  7. Hades

Hades Kapellmeister

Made myself a early christmas present and bought the 80 $ version. No regrets ! This synth is a beast !

8. livemouse

livemouse Producer

help guys i accidentally a couple parameters and now it sounds all detuned so i thought it was a phase issue since it sounds like there's 32 severely detuned voices playing all at the same time so after asking a retired engineer friend who used to work for Nokia, he suggested i look for a phase correction effect and I eventually managed to find one buried in Vital's menu browser, engaged it by clicking the round dot then it got really swimmy but at least it sounded different so i added the deflanger effect and now it just sounds like trash. All I wanted was to make a trap synth sound. Oh well, back to Nexus 2 I guess.

9. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

If your process of synthesizing is like your process of writing, I think i've found the problem...

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. Alex Philipp

Alex Philipp Platinum Record

What dev say about it HUGE processor usage? Any plans to improve it somehow? Not every wavetable synth so CPU hungry, Europa is perfect example of good coding.
    At this moment found this synth nice but unusable, even without oversampling.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  11. Jazz-N-Stuff

Jazz-N-Stuff Platinum Record

he knows how to deal with VITAL:

12. TryHard

TryHard Kapellmeister

Well, you kind of answered your own premise there. Most developers whose main business model is to sell their VST at a high price, receive the bulk of their payment from customers 'up front'. i.e. Once the customers have bought the synth, there is little incentive for the developer to continue making great improvements to their product.

With the business model Vital's developer has taken instead of offering, essentially, the same functional synth to everybody for FREE. Means, the main profits will likely be made by attracting a large base of free users to try the product for nothing and hopefully stick with it. Which will only realistically happen, if the developer does continue to fix and improve the functionality of the synth. All signs point to this being the case given what the dev has been saying to members on his social media.

This should in turn, encourage that eventual large user-base of free users, to hopefully purchase some additional paid-for presets additional content from the Vital store, or even to decide to become a paying customer of any of the various member tiers available. I'd say, that prospect alone, gives the developer plenty of incentive to keep working on this already great at launch synth over at least the next few years.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  13. TryHard

TryHard Kapellmeister

I believe these (among others) are issues the dev is well aware of. As he is actively fixing bugs that the community has been reporting over the last couple of weeks especially, as it went wider in it's release. He and everybody knows it's not perfect yet. Given what he's managed to achieve so far, I have confidence he will succeed. Time will tell. I personally believe Vital will get better and better as time goes on.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. signalflow

signalflow Rock Star

Yes. Matt does listen to the community feedback and issues.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. signalflow

signalflow Rock Star

Okay anyone that wants to add thier serum wavetables the easy way this is what I did.
    1. Create a Folder called Serum in the Vital folder (or whatever you want)
    2. Create a subfolder "Wavetables"
    3. Create a symlink for the whole serum tables folder.
    4. Drop the symlink in to the Wavetables folder created.
    5. Enjoy and thank me later

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  16. signalflow

signalflow Rock Star

^The method also works for noises to. Just make a folder "Samples" and symlink your serum noise folder.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  17. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

Ye
    ah - that is awesome. When I realized how synth folders worked I thought I should have main "Wavetable" "Noises", etc folders in a main "Audio" Library folder. Then symlinks can be made to access them easily in various synths...
    But considering if someone is using only 2 or 3 main synths that use wavetables, etc, just making a few individual links as needed seems easier.
    I did symlink a bunch of potential audio (samples, etc) from various synths and programs INTO my main DAW Library "Audio" folder, so I could easily browse them in DAWs ... it's easy to go crazy with symlinks :yes:
    Symlinking is fast with drag-n-drop context tools (like in my signature).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. Olymoon

Olymoon MODERATOR Staff Member

Thank you for this trick. I already have all my wavetable on a separate drive/folder / subfolder not only serum.
    When I tried to add this folder, vital said " there are more than 200 files, cannot be added"
    If this method allows to add folders with more that 200 files it will be great, well, it's great anyway, but this would be greater.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  19. kintozero

kintozero Kapellmeister

Is this a jab at Reason?

20. odod

odod Rock Star

how about OSX?