Vital... Best FREE synth ever made?

Discussion in 'Software News' started by aymat, Nov 13, 2020.

1. kingchubby

kingchubby Rock Star

Support this developer if you can. This is quite an alternative to Serum and similar synths.

2. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Audiosexual

when we are lucky r2rret will drop a offline version
    --
    this guy will make more with the '''telemetry''' data than with usual selling , fckt up development of the industry
    --
    but yeah quite impressive to sound better as serum

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  3. signalflow

signalflow Rock Star

I have no idea why you need a patched version of a free plugin. As far as I know you need to just authorize it once online.

4. Gyro Gearloose

cause you need to be online and it collects data in the end

and when dev site is down you dont own anything from that company anymore

5. thedarkbird

thedarkbird Platinum Record

As far as I can tell you can copy the downloaded data (presets, wavetables, etc) and use that for a future offline installation. The synth can be used without logging in but you do have to click away the login window.

In a world full of copy protection schemes this is very acceptable in my opinion. Especially since all the functionality is there, for nothing (and really, what data is there to gather for this synth, compared to what Facebook, Instagram, Google and those other companies are getting from you?)

Stop worrying. Start enjoying. This synth. Life. Etc.. :)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  6. BambooPestle

BambooPestle Producer

You can put required data (presets/wavetables downloaded here for example) anywhere, create file %appdata%\vital\vital.config, with data like this for skip auth process and use synth without any connection.
    {"authenticated":true,"check_for_updates":false,"data_directory":"<path to presets/wavetables>"}

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  7. signalflow

signalflow Rock Star

Can confirm my offline hackintosh laptop doesn't require internet connection

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • List
  8. FrequencyModulation

FrequencyModulation Ultrasonic

Where is this "telemetry" nonsense even coming from?:snuffy:
    This is like common practice to authorize stuff, you should actually know that right:sad:
    It DOWNLOADS presets and stuff...after that it works offline.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  9. Even if it sounds absurd, unfortunately I have to agree (Gyro Gearloose) that the synthesizer has straightened out, in the future you don't know what will happen to us, maybe it will get a hard protective mechanism or something, we'll be lucky and it will stay so, maybe it will get a new effect or so everything can still come, but already it is free, that is true true

10. pizzafresser

pizzafresser Producer

Still I would prefer to do that outside of the plugin. That makes more sense to me not only for archival reasons but also because I have NO idea what data the plugin is sending/receiving in the background once it's connected.

11. Gyro Gearloose

touche'
    but anyways wrong attitude imo
    --
    but if its really offline useable ergo we own it , half of my concerns are gone..
    but im not a friend of modern advertising tactics and data mining cause also they go hand in hand with each other , speakin of them companys collecting and now amazon basics is also an audio gear company /wtf-(this is not good)
    all devs should listen to customers in forums and emails and not hunting the big money analyzing centralized data
    and sell it here and there where we dont know from where and who...apologize my shit english

12. FrequencyModulation

FrequencyModulation Ultrasonic

It just checks your license (since there are no separate installer for free/plus/pro). I'm not trying to offend anybody but really "login/pass serial check" is one of the most common license practices. Do you guys buy plugins?:no:

Your OS/Phone/TV/Smart Home crap steals more data then you can imagine while you are somehow got frustrated with authorization.
    There are ways to check what traffic your device sends/receives.
    There are software used daily for that exact task.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  13. pizzafresser

pizzafresser Producer

Which is why I try very hard to block most of that crap. Pi-hole ftw. I can block Microsoft telemetry and even forced updates entirely with that thing. :)

I'm also very careful with who I give my data to and to whom I don't.

14. TryHard

TryHard Kapellmeister

So, here's how the full process goes...

1. Visit Vital Audio's website and create an account with them. You use an email for your username and then set a password.

2. Download the latest version of the Vital synth from your Vital account page on the same website (having logged in, obviously)

3. Run the Vital installer (approx 23 MB). You can install both the standalone executable and various other audio plugin formats.

4. Run Vital standalone (outside of your DAW) and log into your account using your given email address and password.

5. Vital will then start downloading the presets content and wavetables etc. When this download completes, press 'Install'.

6. Disconnect from the internet (if that's what concerns you). You shouldn't need to connect the Vital synth online again, unless you download some new version or additional content in the future (which again, you can do from 'outside' of your DAW, using just the standalone version.)

7. Open your DAW and search for/add the Vital plugin to your DAW. Since you are already effectively 'authorised/signed in' from the standalone version you still will be also with the plugin version inside your DAW (i.e. no further internet connection required). Whatever content you downloaded through the standalone version will also be accessible from inside your VSTi etc. version in your DAW.

8. The only exception is if/when you want to use the 'Text-To-WaveTable' functionality. Which can likewise, be done through the standalone version (while connected online).

For many people that is all that is required. However, with this early version some people have experienced issues where they were unable to download all the presets content through Vital's built-in downloader. Therefore, the developer has stated on Vital's forum that he will offer an 'manual download' and installation for the preset packs from tomorrow.

So, hopefully, that will quell such outstanding concerns? If not, do not worry, feel free to continue as you were. :)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    • Like Like x 6
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  15. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Audiosexual

I haven't spent too much time with this yet as I've just received my imac from the Mac Geniuses that took a week to bypass my firmware password issue (which was handled by Apple HQ remotely...). So far I'm loving Vital, the sound is somewhere between Phase Plant and Serum to me. I'm liking the interface too and looking forward to really sinking my sawtooth into this more!

16. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

Why are you telling me this? i've been stating the very same thing to people in this thread.
    Well, the TTWT is unlimited In Pro.
    No, I bought the Plus version with the bonus patches and the earlybird discount.
    Maybe I'll pay for the extra patches to help Matt out. He deserves it!

I feel this is the exact opposite.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  17. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

Thank you for this guide.

For the record, I think this method of authentication is very simple and fair, and for shits and giggles inspired by this thread I spied the network traffic with Wireshark. Apart from the auth and the following download there's nothing untoward so it's hardly fair to call it "telemetry". And as @TryHard (and others) said, it works perfectly fine offline.

It seems this auth business is only used to deliver updates and further presets (maybe they'll be for purchase, IDK), so I'm ok with this sort of QoL.

And for the paranoids (such as me) in our midst, you do know one-off email addresses and VPNs are a thing, right?

18. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

WHY register for a "free" product?

Bildschirmfoto 2020-11-25 um 13.44.35.png

19. DanielFaraday

DanielFaraday Platinum Record

Why paranoia? Why ppl just can't enjoy awesome and fun tool?

20. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

(somewhat misguided) Principles over Production.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List