virus in midi files ?

Discussion in 'PC' started by poka chip, Feb 26, 2023.

1. poka chip

poka chip Ultrasonic

hello !

i recently dl some midi rar archives. after extracting i ran an antivirus check in their folders and it sometimes happened that a virus alert occured.
    are those false reports ?
    can a midi file actually get infected and would this makes any sence ?

regards

3. Barbatron

Barbatron Ultrasonic

Hi!

No. A midi file cannot run/ execute, and as far as I'm aware, no midi capable program will use midi for scripting. So no program should try to execute a script if it is written in a midi file.

4. jazzzz

jazzzz Platinum Record

rar or any type of compressed arquives can contain virus. If you have an rar extractor software that can show you the content of the rar before it unrars the archive, it's better. It's possible that the rar contains other file types. As above writen mid files are not executable.

5. The-RoBoT

The-RoBoT Rock Star

6. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Theoretically, a MIDI file could contain invalid data that certain programs may be vulnerable to. A crashing or misbehaving program always has the potential to be exploited by an attack.

7. poka chip

poka chip Ultrasonic

thanks so far. so it has to be false reports avg av.
    i wonder why their algorhythm gets triggered.

@the robot funny thing your 2nd link, firefox denies to download that doc. virus are everywhere :winker:

8. The-RoBoT

The-RoBoT Rock Star

Its just a 1990 txt file.

9. Dan Fuerth

Dan Fuerth Kapellmeister

It's not just a 1990's text file that is incorrect. And yes it can contain arbitrary code that could lead to system calls if the player or daw misinterprets that information

Standard MIDI files are in binary so yes a binary code execution could be used however since the end information is instruments settings, banks, notes data etc. no virus could ever be made with midi files. This would have to be an unknown Daw bug that reads the midi files like an execute command which I have never seen in decades.

10. Djord Emer

Djord Emer Audiosexual

11. The-RoBoT

The-RoBoT Rock Star

12. stopped

stopped Producer

every virus scanning software is very prone to false positives, which is why virustotal, which will show you the results of 20+ scanners, is useful. unless you're still running DOS as your main OS, I wouldn't worry about any viruses that'd accompany a midi file

if you've somehow gotten midi archies that contain exe files in them, you should probably be wary of those

13. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Also, check the "weight" of the files, if some seems to be unusually heavy, it may contain obfuscated code.

14. jazzzz

jazzzz Platinum Record

A bit unrelated but .doc file is a formatted text that can contain macro codes, therefore can be harmful if it's opened in Word that has macro function enabled.

15. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

in midi files? not worth it.

in a setup is debatable, but in midi files I would pass

16. BiG Pluck

BiG Pluck Kapellmeister

No a virus can NOT run in a .mid file, however I have received a file from a guy who was jealous that his client was leaving his studio for mine. The client went to him to obtain his .mid files of his music and the guy included a virus amongst the .mid files. When my antivirus alert went off I couldn't believe it. I went over each and every .mid file individually and found that one was not an actual .mid file but a .wrd file for Microsoft Office word document. See the virus can execute from a word document. What he did was change the extension.
    So double check the size of the .mid files individually. Most .mid files were around 32K 104K but this Microsoft document was about400K - 750K or more.

17. jazzzz

jazzzz Platinum Record

Now that is the interesting part. A file with the wrong extension. BUT if I'm not mistaken, in Windows you can't inadvertently open a .mid file as a word document when you double click on it because the system associates the file based on its written extension. On MacOS you can decide, when you change the extension suffix at the end of the filename, if you want the system to keep on treating it as the original extension or the new one. However, in this case you can see the associated file type in its column in Finder. It doesn't mean that it's the real type. Many times has happened that migrating files from Windows it had lost its file type and appeared on mac as an undefined document and you had to manually change its extension or sometimes could just try to open it in the respective program without defining the extension in the name (I don't remember if it worked, though).

So, basically, a .mid file can be caught by antivirus software as infected but won't do any harm if you use it as a .mid file in a respective audio software

18. BiG Pluck

BiG Pluck Kapellmeister

True.... But, I never double clicked on it. I simply looked at the file size & recognized it was much larger than all the other .mid files.
    One can change the extension at the end of a file.
    However trying to use that file with the wrong extension does not always work. NO!