Virtual USB Drive or Virtual Ethernet Card (Windows10)

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by ArticStorm, Jan 8, 2022.

1. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

Any ideas how to "install"/create a virtual USB Drive (VHD method for windows 10 does not work, it is not recognized an USB drive) or a virtual NIC/ethernet Card?

I wanted to install Waves 9. But this required me a physical usb pendrive or a physical Ethernet card. I have both, but not enough USB ports here.

(Besides why was WAVES so stupid and bound it to any two of those?)

3. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

No guarantee: You can use a ramdisk: http://memory.dataram.com/products-and-services/software/ramdisk

4. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

You can create and register it to a Microsoft Loopback NIC card. That's a nice tip I've heard somewhere. I think in this forum, actually. :)

You have to install it as new hardware manually through Device Manager. Go to "Install new hardware", look for "Microsoft Looback Network Card" and install it. That's a great solution for those who don't want to be connected to the internet but need a network card to register some plugins like Waves or Korg.

A RAM disk can be handy, too, and it registers as a hard drive, indeed. I use a RAM disk to keep Firefox temp files on it in Linux. I don't use it in Windows, although I would if I had 32GB RAM or more. I have just 16GB, but that's more than enough for my needs.

Cheers! :wink:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. LoveToGig

LoveToGig Producer

6. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

I found a version 10 release of WAVES, which just doesnt require the old stupid WAVES authorization, althought it comes with a down that it always opens in a much fuglier modern GUI for all the plugins. I have to find out if i can set the old GUI by default.
    Otherwise this has basically solved the question from above, as i no longer need any of these two virtual device on windows 10.

But thanks for helping me!

7. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

That's some really interesting info. The NIC problem is bothering me, too [not on my computers though, all my 3 computers are connected using Reaper and I don't use Waves lol], so I'm going to try Waves 10 and see how it plays out. Thank you! :wink:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
  8. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

@SineWave Thats the oldest version i found, which doesnt require the stupid authorization and which is 64bits for windows.

(its also quite small compared to the recent version)

Waves.Complete.v2018.07.23.Incl.Emulator-R2R

I loads quite fast on potato notebook.