Virtual Machines (as a test machine)

Discussion in 'PC' started by noisyjohn, Feb 22, 2020.

1. noisyjohn

noisyjohn Noisemaker

Did anyone tried to use virtual machine ? (Virtual box is a grate solution and is free). I have already setup a windows 10 machine. The Sound is virtual audio device, and I have install ASIO 4ALL and it works fine. Of course don't expect acceptable performance but for testing is OK. I will never install new software directly (after the last crash, mess and desperate ...).
    Limitations: at least Intel I5 (CPU must support virtualization) and 8 GB ram or more (best > 16 GB)
    VirtualBox
    ASIO 4ALL
    I can answer to questions if anyone is interesting in

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Yep, very interesting.
    VmWare Workstation is the paid alternative and notably faster than VirtualBox, especially with graphical stuff.
    But you can use VmPlayer with pre-made Windows VMachines, there're quite a few since Windows took advantage of Hyper-V goodies. Of course, you can't customize them like with Wokstation or VirtualBox. Pre-made VMs are used since a long time for Linux.

In fact I think Windows 10 itself offers a bundled Virtual Machine host solution. But better to trust in solid mature solutions like VirtualBox or VmWare.

4. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

Yeah it does on Pro or Enterprise, it's called Hyper-V, you can enable it from "Turn Windows features on or off". It's geared towards server usage though so VirtualBox and VMWare are way easier to manage. It's very powerful though.

If people want to try VMs out I've got only one tip really: get into the habit of using Snapshots as soon as possible, makes the whole thing worth it.

Both also can do seamless mode (i.e. mix virtual and real windows without having the VM in a window), but personally I avoid it as it does my head in... "is this running on bare metal or VM?"