Virtual desktop tool to move DAWs windows

Discussion in 'DAW' started by Alpha0ne, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Alpha0ne

Alpha0ne Producer

Hi everybody. I am looking for a versatile desktop tool which enhances or widens my working space (on 1 monitor what i have) with other virtual desktops. I want to open a DAW e.g. Ableton or StudioOne 2 or Sequioa and move their mixing console-window or plugin-window to another virtual desktop. I have Dexpot but i cannot move the seperate windows. It moves the whole program.
    Any good tools you can offer? No matter freeware or not.

Cheers.

3. The-RoBoT

The-RoBoT Rock Star

4. Alpha0ne

Alpha0ne Producer

@ The-RoBoT:

Dont know what you mean. I have 1 (one) monitor. But the link you gave is for people who have more than 1 (one) physical (real) monitors. Or did I misunderstand something on their site?

5. Spiritos

Spiritos Noisemaker

There are lots of free ones out there. Just take your pick:

http://virtuawin.sourceforge.net/
    http://www.dexpot.de/index.php?lang=en
    http://rocketdock.com/addon/docklets/22933
    http://virt-dimension.sourceforge.net/

6. SillySausage

SillySausage Producer

you will only have one instance of the program running in dexpot, just maximize the window you want in each desktop, I have tried S1 in dexpot it works, but is a bit buggy

7. Alpha0ne

Alpha0ne Producer

SO i tried Dextop, WirtuaWin and 360desktop but there is no use for them. As i mentioned they only move the whole program to different desktops but not the windwos opened within the DAW, e.g plugin window or seperate mixer-console-window. Just thought if they use one of a tool which works. If noone knows a tool or uses himself its no use to give links because most of the tools work the same. And i tried 5 different tools. Only 360desktop works somehow but has also its problems/bugs. It is a lot cpu consuming for example. But thnx anyway for trying to help.

c

8. SillySausage

SillySausage Producer

Have you tried using the function keys (S1), maybe that is what you are looking for? F2/F3

9. Spiritos

Spiritos Noisemaker

Well maybe the culprit is your DAW. As Ableton doesn't allow multiple monitors without a specific MAX4Life device it's inherintly limited to virtual workspaces as well.
    All the other programs are supposed to do exactly what you want. I've read about people using these programs since XP!

I don't know StudioOne 2 or Sequioa but these tools work with Cubase and Sonar so I'm guessing your DAWs or maybe your system settings bring up te limitations.
    One final suggestion which again I know to work with Cubase is DoubleDeskTop: http://lifehacker.com/5153352/doubledesktop-is-a-tiny-virtual-desktop-manager.
    It has the lowest footprint so maybe that will set it apart. Other than that I can't help you anymore.

Good luck!

10. SillySausage

SillySausage Producer

S1 only has 3, pressing F2 will bring up the editor window and F3 the mixer window, make sure you have them windowed and then maximized and you can open and close them with the relevant key switch, no need to use virtual desktops. the instrument panel, file panel (browser) cannot be windowed but you can use the other Function Keys to open and close them on the main program (track view) window.

11. Alpha0ne

Alpha0ne Producer

Thnx to all. But, I think i will stick with 360desktop.

12. virusg

virusg Rock Star

indeed :wink: