Virtual ANS (free)

Discussion in 'Software' started by floond, Apr 28, 2014.

1. floond

floond Platinum Record

What is Virtual ANS

Virtual ANS is a software simulator of the unique Russian synthesizer ANS - photoelectronic microtonal/spectral musical instrument created by Russian engineer Evgeny Murzin from 1938 to 1958. Murzin named his invention in honour of the composer Alexander Nikolayevich Scriabin.
    The instrument was used by Stanislav Kreichi, Alfred Schnittke, Edison Denisov, Sofia Gubaidulina, Edward Artemiev and other Soviet composers.
    You can hear the sound of the ANS in Andrei Tarkovsky's movies Solaris, The Mirror, Stalker.
    In 2004, the British experimental group Coil released CoilANS, a boxed set of experimental drone music performed on the ANS.

While the other similar programs are just fun toys, the Virtual ANS is a full-featured professional tool which allows you to create unusual, deep, atmospheric sounds. With this app you can draw a complete piece of music, or convert sound to image (sonogram) and then make some complex sonogram modifications.
    Actually the potential of the program has not been explored yet, so it (as well as PixiVisor) is more appropriate for people who are searching for something new, not afraid to experiment with sound.

Key features:
    unique Virtual Analog sound engine;
    unlimited number of pure tone generators;
    powerful sonogram editor - you can draw the spectrum and play it at the same time;
    any sound (from a WAV file or a Microphone/Line-in) can be converted to image (sonogram) and vice versa;
    MIDI Input (only for Windows, Linux, OSX and iOS);
    supported file formats: WAV (only uncompressed PCM), PNG, JPEG, GIF, VNS (Virtual ANS 1.x);
    supported sound systems: ASIO, DirectSound, MME, ALSA, OSS, JACK (iOS and Linux), Audiobus;
    iOS: iTunes File Sharing;
    iOS: Wi-Fi Export/Import;
    more functions in the next Virtual ANS updates...

Download (Virtual ANS v2.2. 15 apr 2014)
    Virtual ANS for iOS
    Virtual ANS for Android
    Virtual ANS for Windows, Linux and OSX

If your device is too slow, go to the application settings -> Sound Quality -> and change the Sampling Rate parameter.

Homepage : http://warmplace.ru/soft/ans/

3. sideshowbob

sideshowbob Producer

I´ve seen an exhibition recently. About the devolpment of the first devices that can play sound and very early synthesizers from the year 1900 on.
    Many original pieces were shown. The Russians had been really fast forward by that time, and would have changed the history of musical instruments completely.
    A rich and unique culture was growing. Unfortunately Stalin set an cruel end to it.
    We would probably have synth`s, we hardly can think of nowadays.
    Some instruments were allowed to use, like Theremin for instance.
    My English is not sufficient to describe how deeply impressed I became.
    Anyway, for me sound design is preferable.
    [​IMG]

4. davea

davea Platinum Record

WOW !!

5. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Awesome share, awesome comments. Damn the forums are alive recently, so much good stuff coming out it's a beautiful thing. That's what happens when everyone pitches in. [​IMG]

6. floond

floond Platinum Record

This is a very cool tool, been having a lot of fun with it today/last night. I donated a little spare change to the author and requested a vst version, which he told me was in his near plans!