VINYL RIP - RESTORATION - ARCHIVE

Discussion in 'PC' started by conejo, May 14, 2012.

1. conejo

conejo Newbie

Hello friends. I have ripped a couple of Vinys just to compare quality and workflows. Acctually I am trying to discover the fire again.
    I would appreciate if you share your experience and tips in order to get a good configuration of hardware and software to rip Vinyls.
    I currently am using:
    Project USB turntable, waves z-noise and x- plugins.
    I have not used iZotope, Diamond Cut.
    I want to buy better turntable and sound card, but also I am affair to introduce more noise and interference than the advantages of faster sampling.
    Current USB turntables work with 44/16 configuration and maybe in the future will be offering 96/24, Who knows.

Best wishes!

3. Lord Gaga

Lord Gaga Member

High sampling rates from a cheap soundcard (USB turnables) can not rival with basic 44.1 kHz from a 350 € (and over) one.
    And this has very few things to do with the converters they're using (which are all good today). It's their pre-amp which makes the difference.

iZotope RX2 is my lethal weapon against ANY kind of noises.
    Even dubstep...

4. ZUK

ZUK Rock Star

+1 iZotope RX2

5. Lord Gaga

Lord Gaga Member

BTW, a word about converters :

"Digital systems only can sound as good as the digital-to-analog converters used to get the sound out of the box. They can vary drastically in their quality, not superficially, but when it comes to details, transparency, smoothness and clarity, all aspects from which analog synthesis lives. That's why the quality of the converters have a big impact on the sound of OP-X. Only a good set of converters will let all the important details and depth come through. The most important part of a converter is its sample clock. The more stable it is the better is the sound. The more jitter there is, the more the signal is destroyed. The actual converter chip is the cheapest part, today's budget soundcards often have the same converter chips built in as the expensive high end devices. But they have a worse sample clock and an inferior analog wiring. However, there's a trick to make even a cheap converter sound much better: simply synchronize it with a quality external clock. You don't need a word clock in, you can do it also over the standard inputs (sp/dif). The most cost effective trick is buying an outdated upper class converter and use it as clock. While the converter chips have become outdated compared to the specs of modern chips the clock itself is still "high end". Of course there are also inexpensive single clocks available, and also good value conveters or soundcards with a quality clock built in. And if you beleive it or not: it makes a huge difference. Virtual analog can only sound real analog if the signal is not being destroyed on its way from the digital to the analog side of the system."

Source : http://www.sonicprojects.ch/obx/supportsite.html