Vintage 70's track

Discussion in 'Work in Process' started by Lenny Belardo II, Oct 3, 2021.

1. With all of the debate around getting that "old vintage vibe" I composed this song with a nod to my 70's roots. ie, I only knew 4 chords (I now know at least 6!)....Plus, I used nothing that wasn't the best reproductions of vintage gear I have and I have almost all of them. So, here it is.
    Actually it's not. Because whether it's auto tuned or not is a more pressing issue for some.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  3. clone

clone Audiosexual

if I knew nothing about it, I would believe you if you said it was some track from 70s. maybe remastered. But it would not be my first guess. It's really clean.

4. Perhaps the cleanliness is in the DAW. But I put a Studer 800 on eack track. So we'll call that a "No. Vintage Vibe is a Myth?"

5. If this track sounds clean, then how do you describe any album from the 70's..... Elton's Chateau recordings, Bowie's Trident recordings or just about anybody's Electric Ladlyland? Were they lacking in clarity to my half a day effort? As far as I'm concerned using "vintage" emulations made no difference.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

I didn't feel like to be in 70's, as far I can understand is well engineered, it could be a fresh Spotify track, but I'm not a pro nor I produce or anything, so it could be my fault.
    Actually many original vinyl records I have e.g. Hotlegs, Middle od the road etc, were lacking bass, were mostly mono or had very bad stereo image.

By the way when you say
    do you mean that vsts are not good enough or there is no difference from ITB and OTB productions?

I forgot: did you use autotune or something?

7. Auto tune. Did you miss read the point of the reason I posted this? I used "vintage" compressors and eq's and tape emulations..... "EMULATIONS" It's right there in the description. What difference does it make if it's auto tuned or not? I give up.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. Colin

Colin Producer

10/10 Lenny!

not convinced it would have dented the charts back in the golden age.
    However.
    Shows a coherent, empathetic, human level of lyrics writing and tunefulness sadly absent from the majority of today's music.
    Keep the LB flag flying.
    Much love from Scotland :) (where we are technically British but sound nothing like the English)