Viking chants

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by Demon, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Demon

Demon Producer

I recently started watching the TV Show "Vikings". From the first episode, the chanting you hear on the opening sequence caught my attention. I am wondering, do any of you know of any kontakt library or similar that would have these kind of voices?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Umgco_YoGuw

Thanks in advance, audiosexers!

3. oneunder

oneunder Ultrasonic

Great Band... here you go http://blog.fixyourmix.com/2009/how-do-i-sound-like-the-knife/

Any more tips off other members would be great..i know the WOK site has some great freebies...shimsi and stretcha are good.. have fun.. :)

4. sisyphus

sisyphus Audiosexual

I know this answer is not exactly what you wanted Demon, and I think the Vikings theme song is one of the best out there, but from what I now from friends and what I have read is that all the vocals in the band are done by the sister in the group, and it is all her through various software and cheap pitch shifters layers with fx…tc helicon voice box, stein berg voice machine i think like the old digitech whammy's, some units offer formant and tuning shifting independently etc….. So I would think with some clever work and manipulation you could probably get there (or in the ballpark) with many different sources.

5. nadirtozenith

nadirtozenith Rock Star

navigating between nadir zenith vectoring upwards
    hello, friends,

for similar (but perhaps even more pronounced effects) search for music from the island of sardinia, there is one kind of male group singing, three, four, people standing close to each other, in one very tight circle, harmonising, recorded from the center (sorry for not remembering more close or more usable data about it, this is all because of my brain tissue spongiformificatisation)... :wink:

all the best for all of us... :bow:

6. floond

floond Platinum Record

I think the style is called tenóre. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantu_a_tenore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wJqhRXV-eM

Fascinating either way.

7. nadirtozenith

nadirtozenith Rock Star

floond,

this is it, thank you very much, it was so long ago having heard then recorded it, perhaps more into the twenty, twenty five, years ago times (brings back loads of very beautiful memories)... :wink:

my recordings were done with fishermen, in one isolated part of the island, on the north-western tip... *yes*

thought that because this really much more strong effect, perhaps snippets from such music could be used for sampling purposes (for creating, building, similar things to the original topic)... *yes*

deluge of thanks, again, then again... :bow:

also thanks for the rod modell quotation... :wink:

8. Demon

Demon Producer

Thanks everyone.

Floond, I think this is spot on. if I can do something like that (I'll have to do all four voices) and then add reverb and other tricks I think I can achieve it. I wonder if I can even make a preset in Nectar... hmmmmmm.

Thanks again.

9. nadirtozenith

nadirtozenith Rock Star

hello, Demon,

this here me thinks the recording could be better if, when, you have the voices at the same time, as those beautiful sounding intermodulations between them will be more present... *yes*

if this is not possible, one way to help with this is, duplicating all the different tracks (or sending them to one group track), chopping out everything but the low medium, the deep, spectrum through equalisation, giving it good sounding saturation, then mixing it back with the originals, might achieve similar effects... *yes*

all the best... :bow:

10. Demon

Demon Producer

Thanks mate, that is great advice.