View on Sampling?

Discussion in 'samples' started by DJ PUKKA, Sep 16, 2024.

1. DJ PUKKA

DJ PUKKA Ultrasonic

Hello, people have been sampling for years! from way back like 70s/80s/90s/00s/ so on. But lately i see online comments to say leave them be!. Dont rip off others peoples work! but i must agree ive heard better remixes.I think if you name the original artist aswell & recreate the bassline/melody whats the problem? whats your thoughts on this? Some good info on here who sampled what...https://www.whosampled.com/

Last edited: Sep 17, 2024
  3. patatern

patatern Rock Star

no problem at all

just expect the Law, the Rights (copyrights), permission of use and the Jail waiting for you

Last edited: Sep 16, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. Melodic Reality

Melodic Reality Rock Star

I am all for creative sampling, chopping stuff, re-sequencing and all that, it's an art form. What you are mentioning falls in category of covers/remixes and basically ripping off someone else, dunno, if you get the rights, why not, seems like it's a trend to have some recognizable hook from popular song and all that.

5. Smeghead

Smeghead Platinum Record

My own personal view is that I prefer if it gets mutated into something to the point where you can't tell what it originally was. Otherwise I think it's a cheat. YMMV.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Smeghead

Smeghead Platinum Record

It's funny because literally earlier today I heard Good Times by Chic on the radio and was thinking that a whole generation only knows that as Sugar Hill Gang :rofl:

7. thecollapse

thecollapse Member

for every bad usage of a sample theres 100 good ones. i dont even mean the avalanches type, though i love that stuff too, i mean check out what some jersey club producers are doing and tell me that isnt creative and, most importantly, fun as hell

8. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

I hear you. I love sampling, especially the manipulating process or even the odd placing a loop from a song in a track which is a totally different genre. And all these rants is a bunch of whinos to me. Screw them and do your thing. It's funny how some people are so narrow minded that they think when they sit down and play Am - F - G - Em they are re-inventing the wheel or something. And that samplists are trash non musicians. As if they were truly musicians in the first place haha. Or many other guys in EDM, 64bars kick and anticipation building drone, then vuvuzela clone and drop, 32bars rebuilding with drumroll and here we go again dacapo only now with a one note disgusting, loud as fuck lead. "Yeah! Hands up baby. Us no samples. We play dis. We producers."
    Fuck ooooofffff. Not even with 10 Es.
    So, i gotta say it is more creative and artistic perhaps to use a clever sample in a track than program a 4 chord bitch ass sequence everybody and my cat has played before since the dawn of western music. It is also better and more honest to sample something (with clearance if commercially released) than steal a melody, change a note or two and present it as new and sign your fkin name. "Here, I wrote this!" Again, fuck off! Fucking plagiarism is all over the charts anywhere you look and for years now. For instance, every other Dua Lipa track conforms with this, most of her hit songs are mutated copies of older hits and some being so blatantly, like the "producers/writers" are begging to be sued lol. But hey, they sound incredible don't they. It is what we have been reduced to. Timbre listeners. Everybody in the biz is busy involved making an interesting sound. Nobody speaks about music itself. It's all sounds. And the so called "artist" list goes on and on. So, sample away, just respect the original creators and pay your dues if you make money from it. And peeps saying whatever about sampling are just ignorant at the end of the day, so no worries mate.
    Cheers

Last edited: Sep 17, 2024
  9. Somnambulist

Somnambulist Member

DuaLipa and a pile of modern artists have carved their fame by doing this and people like Beato and others have pointed out direct rip-offs on more than one occasion with many modern artists. Does it make it untenable? NO. One bad apple never spoils the whole bunch.

If you take a sample, turn it inside out, do a pile of things with it, change key and rhythmic phrasing and pile of other things where it sounds nothing like the original, then that is a form of creativity. It is when people directly rip off others, there is a problem. The law now no longer seems to be capable of differentiating between theft and fair usage.
    if sampling is used to create something brand new and not rip off anyone, then it is a great thing.

10. Katze

Katze Kapellmeister

Where have you seen it? I don't think your experience was representative

11. Katze

Katze Kapellmeister

I think in a way that cheating is awesome in a sense that you reappropriate what has been taken from you like the black people did in the earlier stages of Hip Hop and some still to this day. If racist policies fucked your family up so you can't get no music education then all the power to you when you take a dope ass snippet of someone elses music and rap over it, that's my opinion

12. Smeghead

Smeghead Platinum Record

K

13. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Rock Star

as a technique i dont have a problem with it. as an artist in the industry currently, i dont want people just using my shit, thats part in why i have great lawyers; its more than just crediting someone. like i might just not fuck with you as a person or the things youve shown you stand for. i might not like your music for various reasons and dont want you using my ideas to try and further your career

the rights i have over my music as a songwriter are really important on a commercial level on many levels - in my experience, the people who have respect for the music and really value it, always try and get permission. a lot of times youll find, getting something cleared is not even about the money. just taking stuff though is a quick way to make enemies, its disrespectful to the artist whose work youre trying to benefit from

14. curtified

curtified Rock Star

generate samples with ai... its fun!

custom crate digging

15. Crinklebumps

Crinklebumps Audiosexual

I think it's only acceptable if the artiste you sampled from can't tell that it's from their music and if they can and you haven't asked for permission then they're within their rights to sue you.

16. stopped

stopped Platinum Record

copyright is the worst idea ever. do whatever you want with everything

17. WillTheWeirdo

WillTheWeirdo Audiosexual

So how exactly would a musician, writer, or composer pay their rent or feed their kids from their original creative ideas they spent years working on or tens of thousands of dollars investing in?

18. Kate Middleton

Kate Middleton Producer

there is alot of sampling in older music and still

if you ask if i sample? NEVER! the only i use that others have sampled is dialogues and speech vocals.. but yea its not what i do and wont do

19. DJ PUKKA

DJ PUKKA Ultrasonic

So even using an Acapella.. but your own music with it , is that classed as sampling/copyright on the vocals? Because i see millions of mash ups online..& nobody gives a shit.

20. shinyzen

shinyzen Rock Star

I love it! i often hit costco on the weekends, when they offer a wide assortment of samples. Even better, the local farmer's market near me has amazing vendors that offer you samples of all of their yummy fruits and veggies! I

21. Kate Middleton

Kate Middleton Producer

yeah no one really cares . actually on my youtube kate middleton special private channel the royal family works hard LOL not just homeless and charities but music too.