Vienna Ensemble on Mac High Sierra

Discussion in 'Logic' started by WillyA, Jan 8, 2021.

1. WillyA

WillyA Producer

Has anyone managed to get the VEP OSX (MASTER ONLY) working on Mac?

I downloaded a copy of the VEP 6 for Windows and it created a "licence" in Elicenser when I installed it on Win 10. It seems to work OK.

I downloaded several different OSX versions but not of them create a "licence".

I read the blurb about the Master only and installed it, but It is exactly the same as all the others. I had never heard of this software until I asked the question about eTap and it seemed like a really good answer to a lot of problems. It wont load any of the things it installs because there is no license and it doesn't install the au file either.

Has anyone got it working on Mac OSX (other than a legit version which I (a) can't afford and (b) as I only make music for myself and don't earn a cent from it, I see no reason to throw away money just to keep me happy for the remaining few years I have left!)?

3. bobco631

bobco631 Newbie

I'm using VEPRO from my Master OSX MacPro on High Sierra and slave is a PC desktop . VEP 6 that is , the master only designation I assume means that the server(slave) is PC and the master(DAW) is on OSX Logic Pro in my case . I'm using the previous CE version though , but I think it's the same release as that one , the server software runs on the PC and the Audio Unit Instrument Plugin connects from the Mac through hard wired ethernet from a Gigabit (minimum speed) switch. Some ports need to be configured but it's widely documented ... hope that helps , looking forward to VEP7 . any day ....?

4. WillyA

WillyA Producer

No, It isn't whether it's a Master or a Slave. It isn't connecting it to another computer, I used to be a computer engineer, before retirement. It isn't the installation.

It installs, but all of the VEP Servers and VEP itself are looking for a licence and there is no .au component installed, so Logic doesn't recognize it. It just doesn't work. I'm either missing something important or the software isn't complete.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Audiosexual

1st check that elicensor is installed on master and slave properly, then restart Mac after installation for .au to start working. License is installed on dongle but dongle only needs to be plugged into USB port on “slave” comp

6. WillyA

WillyA Producer

I have the latest version of eLicenser on Both computers. Both computers are connected via an ethernet router, I can copy files from the Mac to the Hackintosh and vice versa. License is installed and the Win10 version loads without any problem.

After installing on the Mac, I try to load VEP, but I get an error "File synsoacc bundle could not be located in the application support folder" The 64-bit VEP gives "Could not find a license for Vienna Ensemble Pro 6. Please make sure that you Vienna Key . . . etc."

If I click OK the application quits.

Windows firewall blocks outgoing to external PUBLIC ports, but allows traffic to local network. I presume it shouldn't be allowed to "write home" Also blocked external PUBLIC access on Mac with Little Snitch

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
  7. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

It's more about it dialling out, so make sure LS is blocking VEP going out.

8. WillyA

WillyA Producer

LS.png Error.png

VEP never tries to access anything outbound or inbound

9. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Audiosexual

Sorry I misunderstood, I thought legit version. My mistake.

10. WillyA

WillyA Producer

If only I had that kinds money >sigh<. But even then at 80 and using it for fun, would I spend it? Maybe if I was Jeff Bizos, but he would probably get it for free anyhow!

11. Smoove Grooves

As long as LS is blocking it.
    Access? But it can dial home if LS isn't blocking it. I don't understand the relevance of your pic in this context.
    All I'm saying is make sure Little Snitch is blocking it, because you said you presume it shouldn't be allowed to write home.

edit: Ah I now focus on the first smaller picture that says Deny etc, which looks strangely like LS!
    Good! You're safe.
    I did actually only focus on what appears to my eyes to be the foreground picture about the Vienna key!

12. WillyA

WillyA Producer

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were getting at. It would appear that even though it's supposed to be Master and not needing a licence on the Mac, only on Windows slave, it just keeps asking for a licence.

I use Windows Firewall Control on Win10. eLicenser is blocked outgoing and VEP is blocked from PUBLIC outgoing but not Local Network. It appears to use Port 6473 according to the documentation, so I even created a rule to allow incoming and outgoing to Port 6473 on Local Network, but that didn't work either.

13. Smoove Grooves

Best Answer
    Ah yes. So did you reboot after install, as that will be when the relevant AU on the mac side will be available.
    I think KungPaoFist already implied as such.
    You wouldn't believe how many plugins I've got pissed off at for not working instantly and then forgotten about, to suddenly find one day that there it is, working!
    All after a restart, obviously! haha.
    i guess sometimes the OS deals with certain things, maybe indexing or a plist check or something, only on start up.

14. WillyA

WillyA Producer

Agreed, in this case, the Mac AND Win10 have both been rebooted several times.

It would be nice to know if ANYONE has managed to get this working

15. WillyA

WillyA Producer

OMG - I got fed up with messing around. I restored my original fresh installed Mac + Logic from the CC clone and started over. I installed eLicenser, installed VEP again.

I got the same messages from trying to load any of the VEP items. I decided to just forget VEP until version 7 comes out, but I loaded Logic and all of a sudden there was the au.

It connects perfectly to Win10. AMAZING. I have NO idea what went wrong the first times. obviously something got screwed. Shows not to give up easily.

Now all I need to do is install it on my REAL music machines (fingers crossed) and the start to RTFM.

I have VMWare VM's of High Sierra, Mojave and Catalina on my 64GB machine. I definitely won't help on Catalina, because the v5 of Logic doesn't work on Catalina, there's a graphics problem and there is no Play Head in Logic at all. They can shove Big Sur, Win10 is bad enough for telemetry and spyware. I really don't need Mac as well.

Thanks for the help everyone. I MAY be back, but I THINK that I can handle it now.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  16. Smoove Grooves

Fucking computers!
    They were probably arguing over who was the best - Mac Vs Win!
    "I wanna be the Master!"
    "No, I'M the Master, you're the Slave."

Both of you shut up! You are OUR musical slaves.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021