Video Tutorial: How To Make Your Own Acoustic Panels - By Demon

Discussion in 'AudioSex Academy' started by Demon, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Zeus

Zeus Moderator

Wow this post is so amazing.

I missed it when I was offline because of busy matters.

I know I'm late but let me thank for creating this and showing us how to do it. It's with people like Demon that this community is so great.

Thanks again mate. :mates:

2. Demon

Demon Producer

Aaaaaaw shucks.... hehehe. All good mate. Let's hope it helps someone else to build their own.

3. luizcifer

luizcifer Ultrasonic

Well done Demon :wink:

nice share there
    so a few of us will know what to do when its getting winter instaed of sitting in front of the Screen :rofl:

and an excelent choice of Songs :grooves:

cheers
    Luiz

4. Slider

Slider Producer

Thanks for this, very nice video and workmanship! Just now ran across this...so I'm a year late hehe, never too late for appreciation!!

5. Ziko

Ziko Guest

Really amazing stuff, Thank you mr. Christian

6. lukeallison

lukeallison Kapellmeister

What a brilliant thread. I've just closed every tab I had open in my browser regarding other bass trap designs as this is the best design. Seeing as I'm in Australia and have access to the same materials i'll probably make mine identical to yours. However, I'll wrap my insulation in an extra layer of fabric before I place it in the frame. Just a few questions about the SoundScreen. I found the specifications for it and it seems to be fairly less effective at 125Hz than Owens Corning 703. This makes sense as it has a density of 24kg/m3 as opposed to OC 703 with 48kg/m3.

Is the SoundScreen quite flimsy and soft? Does it hold well in the frames (doesn't look like it has a beer gut)?
    Did you consider any other type of insulation? Thicker SoundScreen? It ranges from 60mm to 110mm.
    How effective have the panels been at absorbing the low frequencies?

I've spent a few hours researching available insulation in an attempt to find the closest thing to OC 703 and I've found the following:

Bradford Polymax
    https://www.bunnings.com.au/bradford-polymax-1160-x-430-x-90mm-acoustic-batts_p0811189

Bradford Ultratel 48kg board
    https://www.networkbuilding.com.au/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3214

Bradford Soundscreen R3.1 1160 x 430 x 110
    http://www.networkbuilding.com.au/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3284

Bradford SoundScreen R3.1 1160 x 580 x 110
    https://www.networkbuilding.com.au/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3285

Knauf EarthWool Acoustic 1160 x 430 x 90
    https://www.bunnings.com.au/earthwo...and-thermal-insulation-batts-14-pack_p0810602

Knauf EarthWool Acoustic 1160 x 580 x 90
    https://www.bunnings.com.au/earthwo...and-thermal-insulation-batts-14-pack_p0810603

Firstly, SoundScreen is the only insulation that Bradford sells that has documentation on its acoustic properties yet they sell Polymax. No idea if it is better or worse. Then there is Ultratel, which is rigid and as dense as OC 703 but not listed as an Acoustic product. Ironically this probably performs the best as a sound absorber. Now Bunnings seem to push this Knauff brand EarthWool, which has an Acoustic variety but provides no frequency versus sound absorption data. It has the same density as SoundScreen though so I'm intrigued.

This makes me question why are some products labeled Acoustic and others not? What is the determining factor? There is a denser version of this EarthWool insulation that isn't marked as Acoustic but surely it performs better for this purpose?

SoundScreen Data:
    [​IMG]

Owens Corning 703 Rigid Fibreglass Data:
    [​IMG]
    Look at what a difference the 16" air gap makes at 125Hz!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  7. eboe

eboe Producer

Big thanks!
    Cheers!

8. burgvogt

burgvogt Kapellmeister

Great stuff :like: Thanks mate

9. abhinavjoshua

abhinavjoshua Noisemaker

Thank you for such a wonderful and detailed tutorial. I made 8 panels for my studio!

10. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

what frequencies would these pretty looking panels work on?

overall general reflexions, or specifically on certain freqs, highs mids low?

:)
    cheers

11. lukeallison

The table I posted above shows the sound absorption coefficients of the insulation used in this tutorial at various frequencies. I couldn't find data for frequencies below 125Hz but this is rarely available. Essentially they are wide-band absorption panels and appear to have a flat frequency response from 250Hz upwards but decline in effectiveness 125Hz and (very) likely below. OC 703 provides better low end absorption likely due to its increased density.

12. Demon

Demon Producer

Hey mate, thanks for your comments and incredible reply.

Some answers for your questions:

Is the SoundScreen quite flimsy and soft?
    It is not super rigid, but feels way more more solid than rockwool. Also it is not itchy at all. Because of the size I made the panels I have half a panel sitting on top of another panel inside the frame, and nothing moves or bulges out.

Does it hold well in the frames (doesn't look like it has a beer gut)?
    Nope, these batts only drink scotch, so no beer gut.

Did you consider any other type of insulation? Thicker SoundScreen?
    I thought of getting a ticker one at the time but I wanted something slimmer as the room I had back then was pretty small. I do regret that now as I have a pretty big study. If you have room for the thicker ones, go for it.

How effective have the panels been at absorbing the low frequencies?
    I haven't tested them formally, but the acoustics in the room are considerably better (try clapping and you get NOTHING, my friend... NOTHING!). At the time, the purpose of the panels were mostly to help with the sound of my (back then) super loud acoustic drumkit. The result I got is very similar to what this guy achieved.

This makes me question why are some products labeled Acoustic and others not?
    No idea mate, I guess it is because some of them guarantee to be effective, while others just mention it as a bonus feature?

What is the determining factor? There is a denser version of this EarthWool insulation that isn't marked as Acoustic but surely it performs better for this purpose?

That is a fantastic question. To be honest, I am no expert when it comes to formal measurements. At the time of choosing a product, I also had a lot of input from people in this forum and a friend of mine who is a great producer. He helped me by measuring the room and doing some calculations. Also, back then when I went to get the batts, the guy at the warehouse asked me what did I want just two bags for? I explained it to him and he mentioned that a lot of 'young fellas' that had come getting rockwool panels for their studios had come back to try soundscreen and never came back. He also mentioned that they have had customers that build larger dedicated recording studios and they used a blend of soundscreen and rockwool (a double layer) on walls and ceilings. He did mention that some producers avoid this option because it shrinks their rooms so much!!

All in all, I have had a good experience. Mixes sound good, drums sound great... I am planning to redo the flooring upstairs in my house in a couple of years (the studio is downstairs in the basement) and when I do, I am planning to change the insulation between the two floors to be solely soundscreen.

Mate, I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck. I would love to see your final result... I get the feeling they'll kick ass over mine :D

13. Demon

Demon Producer

Great news, let's have a look? :wink:

14. Demon

Demon Producer

Everyone: sorry for late replies, I thought I was subscribed to this thread! I have been quite inactive, but that's about to change!!

15. lukeallison

Thanks for your reply. Sorry to say it but they weren't all my questions haha. Call me pedantic, I don't even care!

1. Can somebody tell me a wise way to have portable legs that attach to the bottom of a panel? I think it needs to be a little more innovative than drilling a hole through the fabric and frame and screwing the legs in to that, because surely that will result in fibres falling out of the frame and cause the fabric to rip. I'd also like to remove the legs at some point.

2. What is a good fabric to wrap my fibreglass in to stop fibres leaving but allow sound to pass?

3. How much to your panels weigh, Demon?

4. Do you hang them on gyproc picture hooks or wall studs?

5. Should I make the internal dimensions 10mm or so less than the glass panel to ensure it stays put?

6. Could you use your panels as clouds without the insulation falling down? Maybe I should glue the back of the glass to the frame just incase?

7. Think MDF would be a wise choice for the frame? Dirt cheap but more cutting.

8. Do you think the frame wood could have less thickness? 12mm, 16mm?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  16. lukeallison

They will be the same as yours except I'll try my hardest to source SoundScreen R2.5 88mm, I'll use a 115mm frame (Meranti, not pine as it just so happens to come in a convenient size) and the panels will be the height of the SoundScreen, not taller like yours. Essentially I'm building chode versions of your panels but with detachable legs.

17. Demon

Demon Producer

Hey Luke, some answers mate:

1. a way to have portable legs that attach to the bottom of a panel?
    Once I thought of this for my panels. I was thinking of making a "slide-in" box/frame, that was half the height of the panel. Imagine like half a matchbox that has one side open (not sure if that makes sense). I was close to making them, but then I realised I didn't need them. II guess something like this but open on both sides? Think of an 'open dominoes box'. Shit that is hard to explain; tell me if you get my idea.

2. What is a good fabric to wrap my fibreglass in to stop fibres leaving but allow sound to pass?
    Anything that breathes well. For the red ones I used Egyptian Cotton. It is quite thick, but air passes easily through it.

3. How much to your panels weigh, Demon?
    They're exactly 6.2kg each. The hooks I used could hold about double or more, just in case; I'd recommend the same for peace of mind.

4. Do you hang them on gyproc picture hooks or wall studs?
    I used these for the panels, and these and these for plaster walls. I nailed them straight to studs behind the plaster, so depending on how many studs I found I used one or the other. For the brick walls I used these ones.

5. Should I make the internal dimensions 10mm or so less than the glass panel to ensure it stays put?
    Yes, very recommended. I did them about 5mm or so and they hold their shape well. Don't go too much thinner or you'll get a muffin top that resembles that beer gut you hate so much.

6. Could you use your panels as clouds without the insulation falling down? Maybe I should glue the back of the glass to the frame just in case?
    If you glue them, maybe. But if too heavy they might come off anyway with time. I'd recommend a thin mesh over the front (side that faces down from the ceiling) of the panel, just to be safe. Maybe something like this? The mesh could be hidden behind the fabric.

7. Think MDF would be a wise choice for the frame? Dirt cheap but more cutting.
    I thought about that and ended up with wood because I am comfortable working with wood, no other reason. If you like MDF, go for it! ** MDF is also lighter.
    Note: if you make all your measurements in advance, any place such as Bunnings Warehouse will cut the wood/MDF for you. That's what I did. I didn't cut anything!!! I saved so much time.

8. Do you think the frame wood could have less thickness? 12mm, 16mm?
    I went with my measurements for two reasons: 1) the only available option at the time was way too thin; and 2) I wanted something that was tough to carry around and move around a lot. With that being said, you could go a bit thinner.

A little handy tip: When moving house, someone scratched a corner of one of the panels and a few threads threatened to come undone and fuck it all up: I used some clear matte nail polish and brushed it on the "wound". It seals it like magic! There hasn't been any more accidents, but I got that little nail polish bottle handy, just in case.

Mate, I hope that helps and again, I look forward to seeing your results. Maybe you could make a video as well! Or maybe take photos of the process?

Best of luck...

18. lukeallison

Appreciate you getting back so fast, especially with the family and it being a work day. I'll try to make a video but if all else fails I'll have taken a million photos. I though MDF would actually be heavier than pine, that was my only real reservation. And they're made with Thermaldahyde but I'm not planning on ingesting or smoking my panels any time soon so that probably doesn't matter.

19. Demon

Demon Producer

Oops, sorry,. Yes, you are correct, I was thinking of something else!