Very strange internet behavior with Native Instruments on Mac with Big Sur

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by Hans242, Feb 20, 2022.

1. Hans242

Hans242 Producer

Okay, this is a bit complicated to explain and it's very strange, but I have verified this several times.
    Maybe someone can explain this to me.
    I'm on latest Big Sur and I have installed the latest NI Battery from the sister site.
    I have blocked access to Native Instruments with Little Snitch.
    May main daw is Logic Pro X.
    Now when I open a project with Battery, in Little Snitch I can see that it wants to talk to NI.
    If the communication to NI is blocked, any downloads or internet activity I am running is immediately stopped completely. UNLESS I allow the connection to NI. Then everything is fine and I continue to download normally. My router is a Fritz!Box 7490 AX.
    Well I can not say that this is the strangest behavior of a plugin since I've come a looong way with stuff from the sister site, but it is still veeery strange to me.
    Has anyone experienced something like this, too?
    Thank you for your help in advance!

3. clone

clone Audiosexual

block NI website in your hosts file. or try with LuLu firewall instead of Little Snitch. you will need to tinker with this a bit but it should not be difficult to figure out why your problem is happening. LuLu is free and you may even like it more than LS. I prefer it for my situation.

https://objective-see.com/products/lulu.html

I do not have this problem with Battery 4. I think blocking all of your native instruments applications, plugins and so on may require being done at the firewall. I do not have NI blocked via hosts file. It is done via LuLu rules. Try similar setup first in LS :

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2022
  4. Hans242

Hans242 Producer

Thank you for the help! Actually I fear that when I block NI in the host file my internet connection will again break down each time I start Battery. But I will try it and report back what happens. :)
    I did not know about Lulu. Actually I don't dislike Little Snitch. I actually like it a lot. I have just not encountered this behavior with LS...

5. clone

clone Audiosexual

matter of preference more than anything. if you setup those same or similar rules in LS, you should not have to block NI website via hosts. I also have my entire /Components folder blocked too, just for good measure. What that has to do with disrupting your internet, is seemingly unrelated, but it's also the only available culprit to blame for your problem. How paranoid do you have LS set at? Does the outbound attempt from the NI program cause your firewall to clamp down on the connections? That is then a firewall settings adjustment.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2022
  6. Hans242

Hans242 Producer

After some time of experimenting and exploring I think these problems all have another source and I have drawn conclusions between cause and effect where only coincidental connections are.
    I have recognized that I have had problems with my new sound card. It was connected with a very long USB cable and there were static click noises. This USB cable was 5 meters long and I guess that this was the source for my problems.
    It was connected to my Mac Pro 2013 trashcan which is a very sensitive machine concerning the USB and Thunderbolt ports. And it seems that the network issues were somehow related to this USB cable problem.
    I know this sounds strange, but I guess when there are static discharges along the USB cable going to the USB input of the machine, very strange things can happen. And so it disrupted my internet connection each time these discharges happened.
    And the connection between this and Battery is that this only happened whenever I started the playback in my daw in which a project with Battery was loaded. Because when it is silent there is not much data transferred along the cable and so there are no discharges. And it was coincidence that I had recognized these problems during the playback of the project containing Battery.
    Anyway, I have now blocked NI in the host file and more importantly I have exchanged the USB cable and I now have a shorter one and everything seems to work fine now. No more disconnections. :)
    Thank you for your help though! :)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2022