very good video for balanced mix - tilt filter?

Discussion in 'Reaper' started by samsome, Oct 10, 2021.

1. samsome

samsome Guest

also my question, 1:00...is there a "tilt" filter in reaper as it shows there on video

3. justwannadownload

justwannadownload Audiosexual

Holy-moly where do I start.
    Well, I guess a good start is answering the actual question.
    Yes, there is a Tilt EQ in Reaper. It's called just that. "JS Tilt Equalizer". There's also this: https://forums.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=1188484
    Since I'm not a Reaper user, I don't know how to exactly work with it, but for someone else it might be helpful.
    Next I suggest you throw that video out the window, along with everything else Sage Audio do. This is my third encounter with them and all three ended up the same way. I'd be sitting here for half an hour just dissecting everything that's factually incorrect in this 9 minutes video.
    When they don't regurgitate the simplest concepts (and they somehow manage to misinterpret even that much), they are just wrong and misleading.
    And the worst of it all is they aim at novices, meaning the first info somebody entirely fresh and clueless would come across might be plain harmful.
    They are like W.A. Production, but tutorials (And mastering? Wow. If the bar is *that* low maybe I should be a "mastering engineer" too) instead of plugins.
    tl;dr Don't take Sage Audio seriously. The best they can do is give you some ideas if you really really don't know what to do. Pretty much every time they try talking about anything precise, they miss the point entirely, just emulating what a competent engineer would do without proper understanding of the process or tools and without any adjustment to the input material.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. samsome

samsome Guest

can you recommend another mixing tutorial? or where did u learn from? thanks

5. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

Kinda agree with you, i mean the problem with these kind of videos is that most of the time if not all the time it's case specific, and even then they don't tell when or where to apply such "tricks" properly...

but if you take a step back some of sage audio "tricks" can be of help to someone as they can be implimented in a mix... but again that's rare.

6. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

There is no one magical source of information, that can help, you need to build what i would call your own personality, then suppliment it with various tricks...

share something you mixed so i know how i might help.

7. justwannadownload

I wrote about it elsewhere.
    Fabfilter have some competent "Beginner's Guides" on their YouTube channel.
    Kush Audio's channel has useful videos too, more philosophical and methodological stuff. How you approach the mixing process on a more abstract level.
    Dan Worall talks a lot about technical side of the process.
    If you need some basic set of tricks and practices, a better place would be Musician on a Mission, all on YouTube. Pretty useless once you're into the process but can give you some idea of what to do initially. Just don't simply rely on his, ahem, techniques, and try to understand the tools and train your ear instead, so you can have your own.
    Then there's Andrew Huang, Benn Jordan, Adam Neely, Venus Theory, Rick Beato, all have useful stuff.
    P.S. In The Mix, Produce Like A Pro (well maybe less so lately) and Mix With The Masters (!) are also kind of garbage. White Sea Studio ranges from somewhat useful to fucking cringe. That's about who I know of.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
  8. Plainview

Plainview Rock Star

the problem with teaching anything complicated is that you quickly forget how your beginner mind thought about it this becomes really apparent when you see people appraise the teaching methods of someone and you cant understand what the fuck he is talking about , often its not about what is the best source of information its about who can teach at your level

9. lxfsn

lxfsn Platinum Record

I think I remember your nickname back from foster days. I lost a precious coupple of years back then on forums and tutorials instead of doing what I supposed to do from the very beginning - make music and get better at it.

Although I may be wrong with your nickname, what I am about to say still appies:
    you joined in 2015. There is no excuse not to be able to mix and make your own music in 5 years. All is not lost though: you have enough plugins, you have enough tutorials and information - stop getting new information entirely or move it to a singe day a week.

Next level is: you must have at least 200 music sketches for each year that passes. Making sketches makes you practice your creativity, arrangement skills, quick decision making and mixing accuracy. You will produce alot of shit in the process but is part of the process. You have to crawl to this mud and the process will get easier and better and faster.

Otherwise in 5 years you'll be still here asking for feedback and watching tutorials. Anyone can do it, is just a matter of patience and resilience for a couple of years. Good luck mate!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
  10. justwannadownload

I think it's very individual. Some people adjust just fine and others, having learned wrong things early on, then spend years and years re-learning stuff.
    It's true you gotta have some entry-level info, that's why Musician on a Mission is on my list. But I believe the studying material should be adequate to the real life tasks right from the start, never oversimplified or misleading.
    On top of that, I myself started from a complete blank page with Fabfilter guides and a real practice, googling whatever actual real problems I encountered along the way. That's a legit way to learn.

11. MarkyMW

MarkyMW Platinum Record

Everything that @justwannadownload recommended and if you want to learn anything in Reaper just google that thing followed by the name kenny gioia and the chances are you'll find a Reaper specific lesson on it.