vcrun6sp6 on Mac, any way to add to crossover or any wine version for Sonoma with winetricks?

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by grrarrrgh, Apr 16, 2024.

1. grrarrrgh

grrarrrgh Newbie

Decided to give audiogridder a try, but the plugin installer I want to use to test doesn’t work, it can’t work because of some isskinu.dll error and I’m not sure where or how to put vcrun6sp6 in the crossover bottle. Any way to fix this issue? If not, are there other versions of wine compatible with Sonoma that have winetricks capability? Read somewhere that winetricks is used to install vcrun6sp6 but I don’t think crossover can do that…

if this can get fixed, all of you who have the opportunity will be cursed with gigabytes of new plugins on your Macs and especially free ones…

Using 2018 intel MacBook Pro and crossover 24 trial, in case it’s required information

3. clone

clone Audiosexual

4. grrarrrgh

grrarrrgh Newbie

I was going to try whisky

5. clone

clone Audiosexual

You always have the option of using Crossgridder, or Parallels desktop of course. Your intel/sonoma combination may mean you will have to screw around with it some. it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Also, you could try this whole deal using the newest DDMF Metaplugin. But you will need to demo that, see if it works for you, and then buy it. or whatever. :)

Don't forget, there are a few reasons why a Windows plugin might not work to use these ways. If you cannot get a plugin working while you test setting this up, use another plugin, preferably from a different developer. If something doesn't work right, then generally Parallels Desktop is your remaining option.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2024
  6. grrarrrgh

grrarrrgh Newbie

I’ve used parallels, but the prospect of using windows plugins in a Mac workstation whilst also removing overhead from entire windows running is what I’m looking at, I’ll have to check metaplugin but if I try a plugin that could reach a library on an external drive, I’d at least like to be able to have the foundation going.

7. clone

clone Audiosexual

the additional resources used for any VM is never good for performance. People have gotten UVI Falcon 3 running in another thread's discussion via Crossgridder/Audiogridder. Do a search. Might as well aim high. :)

Any kind of sampler will look at an external drive. Falcon is actually not that bad on resource usage.

8. Talula

Talula Rock Star

unpack installer and manually place files in right folders.

https://www.legroom.net/software/uniextract

9. grrarrrgh

grrarrrgh Newbie

I am currently starting the process of getting the windows plugins ready, whisky does not work, but I’m trying the replacement trick in crossover. Do I just put the replacement dlls in the windows folder of the bottle and should it be closed before I do?

10. grrarrrgh

grrarrrgh Newbie

I used a “test” plugin, only for testing purposes totally own the cherry audio product, once I put the dlls in the folders the installer works! Will test with some other monsters cause if I can find a falcon that sees some libraries then I will move onto that…

any HALion issues I should know about?

11. clone

clone Audiosexual

Why would you want to install a Windows version of Halion? As far as Windows files go, they just need to be installed into the bottle when you run crossover. So it sort of "virtually boots" Windows with them already in place. Same as all Windows drivers.

Did you look at the list I sent you in PM?

12. grrarrrgh

grrarrrgh Newbie

Yep, now I just need to figure out why the Falcon interface doesn’t update

13. clone

clone Audiosexual

That other thread about it had some good tips, such as the D3D Metal setting in Crossover. I'm not sure what you mean by it not updating the interface. Go to the preferences menu and see if enabling OpenGL helps at all. Hit the icon with 3 bars right above the Info tab.

14. Jeff*

Jeff* Kapellmeister

Here are the files to overwrite in syswow64 and system32 of your bottle. This takes care of the isskinu.dll error. Basically a manual copy of vcrun6sp6.

https://workupload.com/archive/axFFtVRhF3

It's always good to install the Visual C all in one runtimes, or the ones from microsoft.

Whisky is great if you have an M chip

15. grrarrrgh

grrarrrgh Newbie

I had to dig up an older version to get 3 to work, I’ve been testing different plugins and I even get to try new ones immediately as a demo becomes available… but some plugins do not update their interfaces so I have to delete them

16. Sniv

Sniv Member

I use Wine a fair bit under Linux; I’m pretty sure you can use “Wine Tricks” to install vcrun6sp6. You’ll probably need to install DXVX as well, which you can also install via Wine Tricks.

17. clone

clone Audiosexual

Winetricks is not necessary for any of this. We are using Crossover, or Crossgridder; which is really just Audiogridder inside a Windows bottle.