VAST dynamics Vaporizer2 v3.3.0 becomes FREE, open-source

Discussion in 'Software News' started by mild pump milk, Sep 26, 2023.

1. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

https://www.vast-dynamics.com/?q=products

3.3.0 is the update since 3.2.0, and now it is just an update which removes paid license, becoming a free version.
    Seems that it is also open-source on GitHub since 3.3.0, for future development with communities.
    Becoming something big like Surge?

With version 3.3.0 (changes since 3.2.0):
    • Get all the latest information on our GitHub page.
    • You can install and run the full version of Vaporizer 2 3.3.0 from the download links below. You will not need a license and you do not need to activate any longer. The plugin will show "Free Version" in this case.
    • All existing activations from licenses will remain valid and guarantee support.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2023
    • Like Like x 5
    • Interesting Interesting x 5
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  3. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

Found a preset teaser on YT:

• Interesting Interesting x 5
    • List
  4. clone

clone Audiosexual

this is the one plugin I have seen break, as soon as the computer has an internet connection. Not ethernet either, but on my Wifi. Firewalled it and blocked domains in host file. Only turning off wifi would allow it to stay open. Then I got it open and checked it out for about 10 minutes before i shit-canned it as inferior to Serum or Vital. " But it has an extra Oscillator, how can you say that!? " I won't reinstall it, even if it is free now. Thanks, but no thanks.

• Interesting Interesting x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

Let's imagine it will further developed like Surge (Surge XT) and there won't be problems in future. Dreams.. I wish it was Audjoo Helix too.... Abandoned or kinda like that..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. clone

clone Audiosexual

Surge is a very good synth that the developer gave up on, or whatever stopped development. But some people liked it so much it became free/open source and they put their own work into it, too. It's not what will happen with this one, in my opinion. If someone said it was made in SynthEdit I wouldn't have a hard time believing that. Just my personal opinion. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

Interestingly, even though 3.1.2 already ran here, I get an error message for 3.3.0 installation, neither AVX nor SSE2 supported, which is simply wrong. Maybe some remnants spoiled it?

8. clone

clone Audiosexual

It might be, but you could probably fix that with Revo Uninstaller. The version that I tried was 3.0.3 for Mac. homecall/internet check is probably disabled on the free one. I did not spend much time with it at all. Sometimes if I am on the fence about a plugin, I will leave it and maybe try it some more later. This thing went right into the trashcan.

Just worth a mention, i don't have like a vendetta against or anything...

9. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

Same here. No previous installations. Oh well. No shortage of great free synths between Surge XT, Vital, Odin 2 and DSP56300.

• List
  10. DontKnowJack

DontKnowJack Producer

Running 3.3.0 VST3 in Ableton Live 11, Windows 10 with no issues.

• List
  11. ElectroCity

ElectroCity Ultrasonic

slow and buggy. instant delete.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. clone

clone Audiosexual

And prior to it being free, i would have turn off Wifi also to use it. It looks like a ripoff copy of Serum, but after a minute or two; I got the distinct feeling this was made for some high school kid's programming homework assignment. This thing was gone in a New York minute. I actually cannot remember the last plugin I deleted so quickly.

The protection scheme really got my hopes up. :hahaha:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2023
  13. grdh20

grdh20 Platinum Record

crashed mac, so removed and done.

14. DrumcodeX

DrumcodeX Platinum Record

zero issues on windows 10.
    standalone, vst2, vst3, bitwig, ableton, studio one. everything running fine without any flaws.
    pretty good synth actually.

15. John Thomas

John Thomas Ultrasonic

I agree. I'm really grateful they've released it for free, but I haven't heard a single preset on it that sounds good. I have no idea why, I'm not a synth expert, so I'm not knocking the developer's preset writing ability, but so many other synths just sound good, and this doesn't, so it's worthless to me, no matter how free it is. I'm on Windows 8.1, in case others wanted to know if it works okay - it does.

16. John Thomas

John Thomas Ultrasonic

I agree - Surge XT, Odin 2 and Osiris are all fantastic synths, we really are spoiled nowadays.
    I wonder if more VST companies will be unable to make enough money to survive in the future, as fewer people buy their specific products, and then they might release their VSTs for free - meaning that maybe even more people will be happy with free VSTs (because many of them are so good) and will buy fewer commercial VSTs, thus causing more developers to give up trying to sell their VSTs and giving them away for free...
    You often hear the argument (on the KVRAudio forum - wankers) that if you even DISCUSS 'piracy' then the world will collapse because all the developers will go bust and "there will be no more VSTs". The key word is "more". We don't NEED more VSTs. If all VST development stopped today, and ALL VSTs were available for free, we would all have more than enough VSTs to make as much music as the world could want, forever.

The only area that VSTs haven't covered adequately yet (apart from Pianoteq, Modo Bass, and probably others I'm not aware of) is physical modelling of real instruments, especially orchestral instruments, so we can stop using huge sample libraries, and use tiny physical modelling VSTs, but that's it.
    Like, who needs Zebra 3? What can it possibly offer that will sound 'better' than Zebra 2? A pad can only sound so good, and Zebra 2 already does that perfectly, as it also does all other synth sounds.