Variety Of Sound release NastyDLA MKII

Discussion in 'Software News' started by Lord Gaga, May 13, 2012.

1. Lord Gaga

Lord Gaga Member

Variety Of Sound has released NastyDLA MKII, a new version of the classic chorus echo device with tape-delay simulation.

The mkII version of this plug-in is an overall technical redesign and features "stateful saturation" algorithms for an overall improved sound experience and changes several things under the hood. Basically, NastyDLA mkII remains feature-wise the very same but introduces the input stage modelled by this new technology and also redesigns the tape compression algorithm for an improved IM distortion performance. In general, the distortion generation appears to be more analog-like and the perception of width and depth has been improved significantly.

Improvements:

- The behaviour of the input stage has been changed. It acts output level compensated now and only is active if the SAT switch is engaged. It is modeled based upon a stateful saturation algorithm which sound wise turns in to a way better distortion performance as well as a more "3d" sound perception.
    - The tape compressor has been improved for a better IM distortion performance and a less muddy sound.
    - The level of noise which can be dialed in has been altered. The level itself is corrected and by moving the according knob to the left-most position the noise can be switched off.

The .dll name and the VST plug-in ID has been changed and so both, old and new version, can be used in parallel in any case. Nevertheless, the mkII version remains preset-compatible with version 1.x so one can transfer presets between them in both directions.

http://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/downloads/

3. thepopenale

thepopenale Noisemaker

'Preciate it but I think the market is saturated with chorus and delay FX.

I think it would take something special to stand out these days. Im thinkin' PSPs multi-delay 608(?) or U-He MFM2 as stand-outs.

Forgive my super-sketchy recollection of the names of those plugins :dunno: You know the ones Im talking about though. My mate has them and they are CRAZY good. Innovative plugs that Id likely place on every mixer channel because of their versatility, you can defo improve any sound with these (used correctly).

Still anything "freeware" will always catch my attention :wink:

4. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

whats the point they are free and cant compared to the ones named - so grab them or not.
    well i think the VOS stuff is pretty good and it has also a nice looking gui not like the most freeware stuff.

5. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

I honestly cant fathom how some folks can get SOO technically in depth regarding... a delay.

I mean.. I know why... I just don't know how.. maybe they have way less going on in their daily lives than the rest of us, and can put 100% into knowing every.. single.. little thing possible about delays and their inner and outer workings.

To me.. If it sounds good.. tweak it till it sounds great and move on... its.. a delay.. for gawds sake.. :rofl:

I dunno... *no*... I do know that a lot of this stuff CAN BE uber complex, if you want to take it that far..

..but the further into it I get... seems like the further away from the music I get, and the creative workflow.

I wonder how many people can even tell one from another in the mix. :dunno:

6. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

@One Reason: You obviously haven't used many Varosound plugins by now. Take the time to compare some of them to your known high end plugins, to see what I mean.
    My personal favourite is the discontinued exciter (NastyHF), which is still unparalleled IMHO even by any halfway affordable commercial plugin, and I've compared it to many (Waves/Aphex, Crysonic, BBE, Voxengo, Logic Exciter, Reaper->Stillwell and JS Exciter...)
    As for the delay, of course it's not the delay itself, but rather the character of its signal coloration and the vintage chorus that makes it so special. Feature-wise its spec sheet looks boring, but the sound ... :-o

If you're ever able to play with a genuine, well-working Roland RE-201 "Space Echo" and compare it to any modern, clean digital delay unit, you'll probably understand what the fuzz is about.

I thought the same about delays when I was young, too ;-)

7. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Never heard of Varosound... I guess what I'm saying is, I understand what u say about coloration, character etc.. but with SO much other stuff going on in a song..so many other variables that a bit of coloration on a delay, to me at least, isn't that big of a deal to the ears.

..and 44 is hardly young. :rofl:

8. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

You're certainly right, this kind of delay can shine when put after a guitar, e-piano, organ, synth on a solo line, but in different context such coloration may not even be desirable. And for most listeners, likely not detectable.
    It's highly dependent on the music and the sounds you need. If you can do without, that's fine, I just couldn't stand to try and challenge you to try it :bleh:

Oops, well, if that's you on the avatar, you look younger.

9. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

kind of true.
    as i started focus on melodies only and also no sound design i really felt my workflow and creativity got better.
    and i finally dont care what other use for their music(big names, etc)
    (i care only of the stuff i use when im in a collab ... but thats logically)

that cap makes you younger one reason ;) :wink: