Valid alternative to Adam S3V

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by tarakapand, Jul 25, 2019.

1. tarakapand

tarakapand Member

I have difficulty finding monitors with the same power and quality features as Adam S3Vs
    At the same price, with a good bass extension, preferably with conventional tweeters. Any advice?
    Someone suggested a configuration with two subwoofers and two monitors like the focal twin, what do you think? How do you manage two subwoofers? Thanks.

3. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

don't you consider the Neumann KH-310A ?They are 500€ cheaper than the Adam S3V/per monitor,3 way,8.25" woofer.

And you often see Focal monitors in professionnal studios,I guess they are not bad...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. powerplay

powerplay Ultrasonic

Focal SM9

5. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

Focal Trio6 Be
    Focal.jpg

Essentially, the Trio6 Be is a three-way speaker with a 1” tweeter, a 5” woofer, and an 8” subwoofer. Yet, switching to FOCUS mode reconfigures Trio6 Be in two-way monitor.The Trio6 Be was designed to meet the standards of the most demanding engineers. This dual monitor is the new reference in its price range owing to its extreme neutrality, its precise stereophonic imaging, and its ability to resolve the most minute sonic details, while its Class G amplifiers deliver SPL levels to suit all musical styles. https://www.focal.com/en/pro-audio/monitoring-speakers/sm6/monitoring-speakers/trio6-be

6. tarakapand

tarakapand Member

not bad, but they seem less powerful (500w+300w+50w vs 210w+90w+90w) and have less spl (124db vs 120db).
    I should find a store to listen to. Thanks.

7. tarakapand

tarakapand Member

too much more expensive 4500euro vs 5700euro!!

8. tarakapand

tarakapand Member

I like the ability to disable the woofer.
    but it seems to have a decidedly less powerful amplification, 850w vs 450w! As a result, a decidedly lower spl 124db vs 115db.
    the price is almost the same, I am torn. Thanks.

9. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

:wtf:

Brother are you planning on going deaf? Seriously, in a large room around 85db will do the job. If the room is smaller 70-75db is enough. You are talking about SPL levels as if you are planning on throwing a rock concert. Your hearing is priceless. Once it is gone, damage, you are done in this business as a producer, engineer. Don't you think that Focal and Neumann have the capability and know how to make a pair of monitors that will surpass 130db?

10. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

11. tarakapand

tarakapand Member

It is useful to have occasionally high-volume feedback, which can make the sound pressure that you might have in a club be perceived.
    My room is about 20 square meters completely treated. Obviously, greater peak power also allows less distortion at regular volume.
    I did not exclude the advice I received, but I have to look for a store where I can listen to these alternatives, I adam s3v I heard them and I like them.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  12. tarakapand

tarakapand Member

13. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

oops I didn't notice ADAMs are so cheap now when Focusrite bought them....
    we have those PSI's in bigger studios, we even have some 5.1 control rooms with them, it's amazing even for the price;

definitely check Genelec 8351, they are 3-way coaxial design, so different than S3V, despite being ridiculously small I consider them best versatile studio monitors nowadays, we use them in smaller studios:
    https://www.thomann.de/cz/genelec_8351_apm.htm

and then there's Genelec 8260, again more expensive than S3V, but it's 3-way with mid+high being coaxial again, we use them in bigger studios:
    https://www.thomann.de/cz/genelec_8260_dsp.htm

:chilling:

14. tarakapand

tarakapand Member

I like coaxial design. 8351 is a little bit expensive and a little bit over my budget (limited to 4600euro for pair).
    8260 it's too much.
    4600 euro is an insurmountable limit. Thanks for advices.

15. Millenium

Millenium Producer

I totally agree with The Pirate about SPL.
    I hesitated for a long time between ADAMS and FOCAL, in the end I chose the Focal Trio 6 Be which in a well-treated room are fearsome.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  16. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

hmm in that price you can fit smaller coaxial Genelec 8331,
    I have them at my office, those are decent monitors, but obviously they don't go too low on bass response

17. ZUK

ZUK Rock Star

I have a ADAM S3V, and I can tell you that they sound impressive, nothing to hear with other monitors. Nothing to envy to other manufacturers. People who come to the studio and listen to them, change their faces completely. For me, the best purchase I've made in the studio. An alternative, possibly FOCAL.

• List
  18. tarakapand

tarakapand Member

S3V have the best value for money. I'm just a little scared of the ribbon tweeters.
    How big is your room?
    Is the room treated?
    With a 9 "woofer, good low frequency control is essential. do you have bass trap?
    I considered a possible further improvement of my room with tuned bass traps.

19. Ak3mi91

Ak3mi91 Platinum Record

1. I'm not an expert,
    2. I don't want to hijack your thread, but...

...maybe Event Opals?

http://www.eventelectronics.com/opal

I'm actually thinking about buying them and I would really like to know how do they compare to S3Vs, because I have them on my list as well.

20. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

For that money what you need to do is talk to the store manager and ask if you can try them at YOUR place. The majority of managers will be happy to oblige. The mark up on those speakers is very enticing for dealers to sell so they will try to accommodate your request.The way they sound at the store would have nothing to do with the way they will sound in your room. That is what I did prior to buying my current mains by HEED Audio monitors (which by the way are connected to Adams). If I had the budget, I would have purchased the Focals.
    Another thing to consider is placement. Are you planning on having them vertically or horizontally placed. You cant grab any speaker and place it horizontally as you frequently see. Not every design will allow that without sacrificing accuracy.

21. ZUK

ZUK Rock Star

My room is really small for these monitors. 2.20 m x 3.20 m, but one thing is the theory and the other is the practice. It is sonorized and soundproofed. Worth it.
    I do not need SUB, I have enough volume to try music as if I were at a concert or disco (124 db), or listen to all the details at a low volume. The Ribbon tweeters are designed to reproduce all the high frequencies and not tire ear. It does not distort, the bass is compact, defined. Spectacular stereo image reproduction. You really hear things, which I hadn't heard before. Much more definition than a Sennheiser HD650. The bad? They weigh 25 kg. They are big. I am super in love with them. I can not say anything bad.