USING SSDS HARD DRIVE FOR PLUGINS

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by NIKPUMP, Oct 24, 2015.

1. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Yup.. Mega.. for sure.:like:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Both of you have valid points. But there's a key factor: OS (Windows) benefits hugely from a SSD drive. That's why everybody (that I'm aware of) uses the SSD at least for the OS. Once you use the SSD for the OS, it's only logic to install the software part of the plugins in the system drive.

Of course, if you have the money, buy a second SSD for the libraries or a big one for all OS+plugins+libraries. But SSDs are expensive if you have a huge library. I am currently using a very fast (RAID 0) HDD for the libraries and a couple of libraries, the most big and used ones, in the SSD system drive.

I've already done tests with an SSD caching the libraries HDD hybrid-like. The SSD is the same which stores the system partition but it barely sweats because my slow CPU, so we can look it pretty much like an hybrid. It works like a charm, seriously. But I've a big problem. I have to use a 3rd party software (PrimoCache) which is not 100% reliable. If I had a compatible Intel RST SSD caching HDD storage rig I would be happy.

So I'm planning to test an alternative.
    - System drive fast RAID 0 HDD.
    - Use the SSD to store the performance critical Windows files: temp folder, index database folder. And above all: paging/virtual memory file.
    - Libraries on the SSD.

An alternative would be:
    - Window's native ReadyBoost cache technology to cache HDD system drive with the SSD. I think it's not possible specially if you use the SSD for another purposes (libraries!), but I'd have a pretty hard boner if it's possible (hey, I'm a geek, not a music :P)

I'll post the results when I have time. Luckily this decade lol

PD: there's a bonus advantage in using an SSD for huge libraries, at least in Kontakt: you can lower the preload cache size a lot (the one who loads at start). That means even faster loading and specially less RAM used. I don't know if other VSTi with big libraries, say Omnisphere, have this option.

Last edited: May 7, 2016
  3. Bunty_19

Bunty_19 Member

Guys help here... for kontakt libraries (which are normally huge), is it a good idea technically to go for a external SSD or a SAN storage (with raptor hard drives with raid) or there is any good suggestion above this?.

Seriously the storage is a big question indeed, so price is not criteria. But yes its long term performance and reliability what i'm looking for. Pl advice.

I work on a i7 overclocked hackintosh (DAW on internal 500gb SSD). There's also a 2TB internal HD built filled with sample libraries. I use M-trackquad audio interface.

4. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

i agree on placing the libraries on a hhd. i have noticed though that the speed and system halts when opening projects that have files placed in a hhd, the hhd has to wake up and start spinning before anything happens. a small detail but a bit annoying still. in the close future i will place my projects on a ssd also and always import used samples, that way speed will increase.