USING SSDS HARD DRIVE FOR PLUGINS

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by NIKPUMP, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Jedi_Knight

Jedi_Knight Kapellmeister

I use SSD for my OS drive and record to drive. All others are SATA. Once TB SSDs come down in price, I will replace all SATA with SSD and use a raid system to do backups after sessions. Ive thought of buying a PCIe SSD for the OS and then doing SSD for all others as well. SSD is definitely the way to go.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  2. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Platinum Record

Not gonna use it for storage gonna use them for Kontakt Lib:s and for DAW Projects and Nebula Lib:s
    Also for plugin content like EZ drummer and Omnisphere

3. not sure

not sure Ultrasonic

yeah, I use an HHD for storage. There's no reason to get the 1TB SSD imo

4. not sure

not sure Ultrasonic

lol wut?
    so you're storing libs on it then?

5. kimikaze

kimikaze Platinum Record

I am running my old trusted 830 and i'm not changing it for any of new one as i am sure, they are all at least 60% less reliable after successful ssd companies were realized that for first generation ssd's they are put too much attention on reliability and long lifespan(for what average home user will use it) and that was bad for their business. TLC still need to prove. If i,m not wrong 830 is still record holder for consumer ssd, with more than 6Pb written data in test. The new best ones hardly survive 2-3Pb. which is still respectable and long enough. TLC hardly survive more than 1Pb, most go down around at 600-900 Tb, which again is still long enough, but prove the only thing that matter is speed. And i as producer, will never choose for eample TLC ssd(no matter 3d nand or not) if there is proven more reliable MLC. Speed is the last thing that any of us should prioritize when we working with data, that is crucial for our existence, specially if difference between slowest. and fastest SSD's are probably less than 20% in practice and most reliable SSD's are a lot of time somewhere in the middle of speed charts. We can argue that 850 pro version is not woth it and evo is price king, but there is reason why pro is so much more. They sure know calculate and they probably calculate, one person will need to buy twice from them if he choose TLC and the other will probably buy just once if he choose pro version. So they get from both equal amount of money in particular timeline. So for example in duration of 10 years you can choose 2 evo's or buy pro and forget about ssd's for 10 years. So actually pro version is not cost more if we look that way.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  6. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

I'm pretty sure i'm gonna trash my SSD in the next 2-3 years. Also notice that i didn't find any information that PRO is better than standard evo when it comes to life of the SSD. IF you have some reading about it i will read them for sure.

7. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

That's what i mean for "storage" Kontakt libraries and samples wich are on my 1 TB HDD.

8. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I've the feeling that I've said this many times lately, but an hybrid solution works great. Hybrid SSHDs are already in the market and real life benchmarks are great.

Intel, which is the leading storage in disk controllers chips (ICH, etc) allows the user to use an arbitrary SSD and HDD to perform SSD caching. I'm actually reading a lot of information about software alternatives because sadly my ICH10R is the last which not has this feature (called RST inside the mega controller IRS tool).

Things get even better with audio libraries, because they're a 99% read only scenario, which means you can set up a read only cache and avoid the main problems of caching with delayed writes and so on.

I'm not entering into the durability debate, but the best (last) component of my PC is an 840 Pro and if I find a reliable way to use it as HDD cache I'll go for it without a doubt.

By the way, the EVO technology as far as I know is just a bit slower and much cheaper. I haven't read anywhere differences in durability but if you have good information please give me some links @kimikaze, it would be appreciated.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. kimikaze

kimikaze Platinum Record

You don't need it if we know MLC is more durable itself. I'm sure they optimise internal components even further to last longer or you can write plenty more data in particular amount of time and have better consistency in average. Evo is almost equal in speed performance but i'm sure it lack a bit more in other important areas. But on the other hand evo should be most reliable among today TLC's as it use 3d nand wich improve lifespan(well if we belive). For now i say we should as people in most don't have problems

• List
  10. kimikaze

kimikaze Platinum Record

Although a bit old still relevant:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?271063-SSD-Write-Endurance-25nm-Vs-34nm/page218

"Samsung 840 - FINAL REPORT - DEAD - As of Day 52

Drive Hours: 1235
    ASU GiB Written (APPROX): 443,309.73 (432.92 TiB)
    Avg MB/s (APPROX): 101.10
    MD5: OK

Wear Leveling Count (B1): 3556 raw (1 normalized)

Reallocated blocks (B3,05): 659 (79 normalized)
    Failure count (B5, B6): 0 program, 0 erase
    Uncorrectable Error Count: 0
    ECC Error Rate (C3): 0

Drive is dead and does not respond to anything anymore.

The main concerning thing is that the drive said it did not trigger any smart warnings before dieing! I was not able to get any useful screenshots from ASU or crystaldiskinfo after the drive died (as neither would paint their windows trying to access the drive)"

I belive this was 128gb version.

And another test from tech report, equal size: http://techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead

So 900TB vs 2400TB sure tell something about quality and is part of reason why you pay more if your demand for data transfer is bigger than average.

11. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

while people are talking about SSDs and how fast and how magnificent they are and stuff i'm still using a 320gig Samsung Hard drive dated back to 2009 as OS HD, even tho i'm able to afford a better hard drive for my OS, kinda lazy to go through the trouble installing all those soft that i'm using again... haha

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  12. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Wow.. my 840 Pro lasts 2400 TBytes. I want to use it as cache now more than ever.

• List
  13. Jedi_Knight

Jedi_Knight Kapellmeister

Imaging software and dont have to reinstall ANYTHING!

For performance of Kontakt libraries or other virtuals...yes there is a reason for 1tb or even 2tb drives.

______________________________________________________________________________________________
    With how cheap regular HDs are you can add a raid tower and back up all existing drives and never worry about love of any drives with OS/Libraries/Sessions.

14. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

i Don't Trust these, as they always make my hard drive Slow as hell (in my own experience)

And Btw just To Reply to this Thread, this is how i personally work

1 x 320GB Hard drive for my OS
    1 x 1TB Hard Drive for Plugins only, i picked one of the fastest available with the lowest MS rate, pretty fast when it comes to loading Plugins...
    1 x 2TB for VSTi Sample Based Such as EzDrummer, Addictive Drums, Omnisphere, Ample Sound Stuff ect ect...
    1 x 1TB For Samples...
    1 x 2TB for my private stuff, Movies, Games, Steam, Origin, Music...
    1 x 4TB For Kontakt Only divided in two first Partition for the most used one, second one for the rest...
    The Rest of my HDD, such as a lot of External Hard drive from 2 3 1TB to 4 500GB for unclean stuff, like downloaded Release, Big Rars, uncompressed stuff, the things that still needs to decompressed on put in the right drive...

• List
  15. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Platinum Record

I use USB disc for storage what do you use INTERNAL disc:s and NEVER use them again?
    There is a language problem here no need to be a smartass right?

Well when i LOAD a kontakt lib i not REALLY storing them i USE them.

And the same word for storage in my language means put them away for long so i can use them later if something gets broken
    Like put it in a seller or store depot..

When i USE kontakt lib it is NOT really stores is it?
    It in USE
    If we follow your way of the word storage you also store OS on a STORAGE disc dont you?
    So you can NEVER use an SSD disc as you STORE files on it that means you can never use your OS or computer what do you boot up your computer on?
    You never thought of that did you?.

My thinking was when i LOAD a Kontakt or Nebula or a Plugin content it will be much faster on a SSHD then a HDD which i have right now as my content lIb:s disc
    Never thought of getting answers from smartasses who clearly made a comment to mock another person for not knowing the english language well..

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  16. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

I replaced ann HDD with SSD.
    At the moment I have 2 * 1 tb samsung evo in usage and another 120gb ssd
    Anything works very good without vibration, noise or heat which you get with HDDs

17. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

I'll Tell you This SSD for Plugins wont change pretty much anything why you ask ?

okey SSD are good when loading big files or too many things at the same time, in and Plugins aren't that big i mean what's the largest DLL you ever saw ?

pretty much all at 30mb, 150 for Omnisphere, i'll try to explain this in detail,

Your hard drive have like 140-160 MB/Sec Mac Read Rate, with 20 ms which is already considered too much for access time even on HDD nowadays HDD have low MS/Access time compared to early HDD, and as i said 140/160MB/Sec Read, and most of the time Vst are no more than 30mb, that's mean it won't take even a full second to load, some Plugins need to access other files on your system or stuff that i don't understand, in that case if you have an SSD for your OS then that's great, if you don't i wont be much of a problem if Plugins are installed on a separate Drive is it will take no more than half the time to fully load, as instead of loading half the plugin reading some system files then continuing to load the Plugin, it will be done faster is they are not on the same hard drive...

So an SSD for the main OS, a LOW Capacity hard drive for Plugins like Black WD, or Barracuda from Seagate, with no more than 2TB, 1 is already enough, and you will have an optimized loading speed for your plugins...

I Just have something to add, don't put the Hard Drives to sleep, or use a 3rd Party Programs to keep the Drive running all the time... F*CK the energy if you ask me, it won't be a problem anyway, a hard drive wont consume that much energy...

About Noise and Vibration, there is some good cases for that matter Google 'em

so that's it hope you got my message...

18. not sure

not sure Ultrasonic

No need to get so sensitive.
    You don't need a 1 TB SSD for kontakt libs. A 7200RPM HHD will be just fine. I'm trying to help you not unneccessarily spend money, brother.
    Have a nice day.

19. MozartEstLa

MozartEstLa Platinum Record

IMO it's better to use SSD for samples, large KONTAKT libraries and large dedicated libraries (such Omnisphere 1/2 soundsources, SampleTank 3 or Nexus2 contents etc), of course if they'll remain untouched. Faster loadings and longer life for SSD as long as you'll limit writes.

20. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

You don't need SSD for samples for god's sake.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List