using send and returns, help!

Discussion in 'Live' started by davpat, Oct 21, 2013.

1. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

Don't worry I understand what you're saying...

Guys you know how you would put a reverb on the main channel, and it would give the full power of the reverb you wrote to that particular channel you've added the reverb to? Well basically, he's trying to say if it is possible to do that using sends and returns. Because when you send a channel to a reverb or any other effect, it will sound different than placing the effect directly on the channel.

Basically this comes down to purpose...

So to answer you're question Dav, when you send some reverb to a channel, it will make a copy of that channel into the return and depending on HOW MUCH YOU SEND, it will create a wet signal copy. THIS WILL NOT SOUND THE SAME AS ADDING REVERB DIRECTLY TO A CHANNEL. The reason why is because sending channels into reverbs is only there so you can MIX the whole track with a nice reverb shine, so you send a little bit of each channel to the reverb and it will give it a texture.

If you wan't to PROCESS your channel, then you are allowed to add reverb directly to it... and if you want to add a little bit than just create a really short reverb and then you will hear that reverb ONLY ON THAT CHANNEL.

IF you want to send multiple channels to a reverb and just hear the sound of the reverb on ONE CHANNEL, simply SOLO that particular channel, making sure the return is on POST FADER.

So YES it is possible to hear the reverb that you've sent to a particular channel, alls you had to do was just SOLO the channel while it had some reverb sent to it :wink:

2. davpat

davpat Newbie

WHAT ABOUT THIS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjirKc69-DQ

3. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

yeah you can create templates as well in any way...did I answer your question though?

4. davpat

davpat Newbie

i was going to answer now :)

Guys you know how you would put a reverb on the main channel, and it would give the full power of the reverb you wrote to that particular channel you've added the reverb to? Well basically, he's trying to say if it is possible to do that using sends and returns.

yes thats exactly what i want.

but then further down yure saying something difrent i dont want only wet signal i want dry and wet

5. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

Yes so you can solo out the main channel and then hold ctrl so you can include the return channel as well and hear both the dry and the wet at the same time for that particular channel *yes*

6. davpat

davpat Newbie

but i want to solo the return channel and hear dry and wet come out my drum/audio channel.

so how would i go around to doing this im confuused now hahah. and what would be the best way of givving a bit of reverb to each channel

7. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

the best way to give a bit of reverb to each channel is using sends and returns...

If you solo the main channel along with the return channel, you can hear the dry and wet come out of your master, which is even better and more efficient...

there is no point of hearing your reverb come out of your drum channel, that is there for your drums to be monitored dry...

I'm pretty sure you should be sufficient with the way routing is handled now...especially in Ableton, it has a very efficient routing system...you should be fine man :wink:

8. davpat

davpat Newbie

okk thanx man ill ask some mates and see how they go around the automating. will i just do the automation on the return channels then??

9. Yubidi

Yubidi Newbie

Getting more confused by the minute...

Obviously, u don't want to record your stuff with any fx on it...
    So, no inserts on the incoming channel !
    Then it will route itself to any channel, you provided it for.

From there on, read what everyone has already said.
    Create fx channels and send you tracks to those channels.
    Your recorded track will not be affected by it.

It couldn't be more simple....
    But there are multiple options.
    Sometimes I like group channels and sometimes I don't.
    Sometimes I'd like to add an effect on those channels and route them to a group channel, where they all share a same/different effect....
    And..
    Doesn't matter what daw you use.
    It all mimics a real table...
    In the older days, you had to hardwire busses with real cables.
    So....
    I'm lost, and there are plenty of answers here.
    :dunno:

10. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

I think he's trying to troll...but I'm not sure...either way...he dragged it on to the point where it just became lame...

11. davpat

davpat Newbie

right thatnks everyone for clearing this out a bit.