Using reference tracks with toneboosters morphit.

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by 990, Apr 25, 2018.

1. 990

990 Ultrasonic

I am getting little confused trying to use reference tracks with morphit. Do I listen to the reference without morphit and my track with morphit enabled? Or both with morphit on?

3. TonyG

TonyG Guest

The answer is "yes' and "no". Let me explain. A reference track as its name implies is what you will use as reference in order to evaluate your mix. Morphit is a simulation and conversion plugin for headphones. With Morphit you either try to correct the frequency curve of your headphones or simulate another model in order to hear how it would sound. If you are using a reference track, Morphit is not necessary because you will make adjustments based on what the reference track sounds like. If you use Morphit to hear the reference track then you need it on your mix. As a note I will add that I do prefer Sonarworks as a correction tools for headphones..

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. 990

990 Ultrasonic

Thank you for clearing that one out. I tried sonarworks but I didnt like the sound on my akg 240s. Of course it was 1,2 years ago I think. I am gonna test a newer version again.

5. TonyG

TonyG Guest

Sonarworks does have calibration for the AKG 240. Give it a try.

6. m9cao

m9cao Producer

the 'track referencing' trick was wrong indeed, the referencing only working at parameters checking and tracks leveling, not playing back and listening, if you want your track has similar aural feel with reference track you must have same audio equipments and same studio environments but actually you cant. the 'hearing reference tracks' was one of the most ridiculous thing in mixing/mastering industry, stop.

7. TonyG

TonyG Guest

@m9cao Even though your reply has nothing to do with the OP question, I write to explain my disagreement with what you wrote. I think and believe that using reference tracks will be of benefit to the OP, as well as almost everyone. Let me explain.
    Firstly, the goal of using a reference mix is not --as you suggested--to make your tracks sound like the reference track. A reference mix is used to try to make your track sound as good as the reference material. Indeed, a reference track is a great way to get a good foundation for your mix, it is a great tool to evaluate the integration of elements in a mix. I look at a reference track as a recalibration tool for my ears. Secondly,the OP does not state so but based on what he said there is good reason to believe that he is using his headphones for mixing. Therefore, using a quality reference mix that translate well on different systems will help the OP even more. Finally, if dozens of successful producers and engineers frequently use reference tracks and benefit from it, it would take more than your baseless claim to make them or anyone else stop using them. https://sonicscoop.com/2017/04/24/reference-tracks-next-generation/

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List