Using PatchWork, LoopBack, BlackHole, or Other . . .

Discussion in 'Software' started by tommyzai, Sep 9, 2023.

1. tommyzai

tommyzai Platinum Record

Anyone know how to configure any of these to record a a virtual instrument onto a track in Audition or Audacity? These DAWs do NOT support VSTI, only VST FX.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2023
  3. Semarus

Semarus Producer

Patchwork has a recorder built-in and it hosts vsts, is that not what you are looking to do? Does Audition not support vst? I'm confused about the nature of the constraints you are experiencing.

Edit: Patchwork needs PlugnScript to record, apologies.

4. tommyzai

tommyzai Platinum Record

Audition and Audacity do not support VSTIs. Therefore, I would need to patch somehow. I have done this with LoopBack, but cannot remember how. I think BlackHole can do it. I have PatchWork, but not sure if/how.

5. clone

clone Audiosexual

Well, what is also confusing is the OP has a Mac, but is asking about VST plugins. If It is a Standalone instrument, it is an application.

if I had loopback already, I would look at using it to create a virtual cable between the Standalone instrument and the input of audacity. The trick is basically that you are grabbing the audio from Core Audio and sending it to the recording application's recording input. So it is like capturing the System Audio and not a plugin.

It is sort of a confusing way of doing something, if you could just do it normally in your DAW. Some people use Soundflower to do it too.

6. tommyzai

tommyzai Platinum Record

I'm on a Mac, but asking about recording virtual instruments into a DAW that does not support virtual instruments. They do, however, support VSTs . . . not VSTis. I once had LoopBack working, but cannot figure out how I did it. Yeah, the whole thing is a PITA workaround, but hoping to find an easy way to take a virtual instrument (I figure a standalone version would be easier than its AU or VST counterpart) and send the audio (not midi) onto a track in the unsupported DAW.

7. clone

clone Audiosexual

Run your Standalone Instrument. Run Loopback. On left, hit the Plus + symbol to add a source. You should see your Standalone Instrument listed as a running application. Select that.

Open audacity. Hit Audio Setup and select Loopback as your Recording Device. Make your Playback device your audio interface. Hit record and start playing.

8. tommyzai

tommyzai Platinum Record

Thanks, Clone!!!! Much appreciation for taking the time. Do you think PatchBay could also do this. Rogue Amoeba actually recommended BlackHole to me as a cheaper option than their LoopBack. I wrote the developer and trying to get that working. But its nice to know that LoopBack would do it

9. tommyzai

tommyzai Platinum Record

I will be recording audio out of G-Force Mellotron, Pianoteq, Lounge Lizard, and one more. This will be a school setting and i need to use Audition or Audacity (if forced). I realize this w b easier in a complete DAW

10. clone

clone Audiosexual

I am not really sure about BlackHole. I installed the free 2channel version to take a look. But I am not sure this is going to work for standalone synth application to a BH recording device yet. When you look at their help topics, every one of them is for the audio application to be sending audio to some application unlike the DAW. Their examples posted are basically the reverse direction. Pretty cool free program, thanks. But it might not be the ideal option for your situation.

Help and Support
    Logic Pro X to FaceTime
    Logic Pro X to Google Meet
    Logic Pro X to Skype
    Logic Pro X to Zoom
    GarageBand to FaceTime
    GarageBand to Google Meet
    GarageBand to Skype
    GarageBand to Zoom

11. tommyzai

tommyzai Platinum Record

Clone, i am really grateful for your help and research. As you can tell from all of my recent threads....i have been struggling to get a setup and workflow going at school and home. thx

12. clone

clone Audiosexual

Ok well I lied. You can use Blackhole 2CH to do this. But you basically need to setup what is called an Aggregrate Device. You go to Audio Midi Setup first. So that is Go-> Applications -> Utilities and then Audio Midi Setup. This shows how to do it: https://github.com/ExistentialAudio/BlackHole/wiki/Multi-Output-Device

In AMS on the left side you will see Blackhole 2ch. Select that. When you play your Standalone Instrument now, you won't get any sound. You will have to go to Audacity, change the Recording Input source to Blackhole again, and then Playback device to your soundcard. Hit record.

Works perfect too, just a bit less elegant to setup. But it is apparently completely free. That is nice of them to hook you up showing you this option, instead of just taking your money for something you don't need. I think Loopback is nicer, but i never need these features. I do not install standalone instruments normally. :)