Using only stock plugins for this 30 mins mix / arrangement.

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Havana, Aug 24, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Havana

Havana Platinum Record

He aslo used a sample pack as well.

I guess if you have good source material you probably could getaway with using stock plugins or is it because of the genre being demoed here?

Do we know all the stock plugins for which ever daw we're using well enough?

I use both Cubase and ProTools and I've hardly ever touched the stock plugins since I started using the SSL plugins.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Crinklebumps

Crinklebumps Audiosexual

I often wonder about this, I guess it depends on the programmers of the plugins. I imagine stock plugins are secondary to the DAW in priority whereas a company that only makes a plugin is 100% focused on making it as good as they can. But then how talented is either programmer? Is talent even a factor? A stock DAW plugin isn't as often plagued with snake-oil sales tactics and spectacular claims.

• List
  4. Havana

Havana Platinum Record

That makes sense.

Magix Samplitude are supposed to have one of the best stock plugins around which is probably why Sequoia it's older more expensive version is used in a lot of mastering studios. Surprising it's not a lot more popular DAW.

• List
  5. Haze

Haze Producer

In Cubase I don't even get as far as stock plugins in 50% of cases, the first thing I always reach for is the channel strip built in to the mixer. There is absolutely nothing wrong with any of the mixer processing and if it's needed, the additional plugins can take things further.

Regarding synthesis, it is also perfectly possible to create endlessly with the options provided by the stock synths. Groove Agent, HALion, Padshop, Retrologue, Flux etc are all very powerful Instruments with a huge pallete of sounds possible and that's before anything is rendered to audio at which point even more crazyness is possible. There's also the huge sample library that can be utilised in multiple ways.

Ableton also has everything necessary and a huge library of stock samples to choose from. There are many producers out there that work that way with Ableton.

Bitwig I haven't actually tried (I don't want to, I think I'd like it, which is a distraction I don't need) but from what I have seen of the modular environment it seems that pretty much anything is possible.

I know a guy that actually makes pro tech-house/house purely using FL stock plugins, along with the provided samples and some occasional third-party samples. The reason he can do that is that he knows the DAW so well. I must admit I was surprised when he showed me his projects by the power of FL these days as I hadn't looked at it for many years, underestimating it massively.

I haven't watched the video so I don't know what DAW this guy is using but the title says tech-house, so I can categorically say that it is possible to create endless tech-house tracks with stock plugins because I've seen it with my own ears.

Sure, there are certainly some things that, aren't achievable with stock plugins but it's not due to a lack of quality, it's just diversity and who expects their DAW to provide everything they could possibly need for every scenario? If you want more unique effects/colours then that's where third-party plugins come in to use. If you need ultra-realistic instruments then Kontakt or HALion Pro etc are going to be needed but for many needs the stock plugins are more than adequate. Plus, let's face it, if you actually play instruments and record them then the options are magnified 1000%. It seems many people fall for all the hype and marketing surrounding plugins and reach for tools unnecessarily when a lot of it is actually lying right under their nose.

• List