Using one instance of a VSti for several ins, with diiferent states?

Discussion in 'FL Studio' started by Remi, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Remi

Remi Member

Hello,

Naive question.

Is it possible to use a single instance of a plugin for multiple ins (presumably several midi ins), but somehow to have the VST pugin parameters different in each case? Of course, the MIDI ins occur at different times in the song and don't overlap, but even so, is it possible for the MIDI in to send information about the plugin state (i.e. do a preset change on the fly)?

Are there other ways to achieve that do do I need to use as many instances of the VSTi as I need different sounds (crushing my CPU°.

Thank you for your suggestions.

3. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Unless you use a vsti that can provide different sounds at the same time (multi timbral), no, sorry. You can drive with several people in one car, but not in different directions at the same time.

Yes, unless you use a vsti that can provide different sounds at the same time (like Kontakt). But this feature was mostly used for hardware synths.
    One Kontakt instance can provide different sounds, but it'll need more CPU power and of course RAM for every additional instrument.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. Remi

Remi Member

I think that's a no then, but just to check: I do not want to produce different sounds AT THE SAME TIME from the VSTi. The short version of the question is: can a MIDI in provide triggers for preset changes in the VSTi (in the same way as you can provide program/bank changes from some MIDI keyboards)?

Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer.

5. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

On principle you can put a MIDI program change in a track at any time, so yes, that's possible. You just have to create the appropriate control changes in the track. But I don't know if FL is capable of this.
    A last resort would be to distribute the different parts (for the different needed sounds) to different tracks, make the program changes in the tracks (FL can do this) and work with mute automation for these tracks, so only one track is active at a given time. But as I said, this would be the last resort.
    We've some FL experts here who can surley help you with a better solution.

6. Remi

Remi Member

Thta's really helpful. Thanks a lot. I'll keep investigating.

7. Satai

Satai Rock Star

Using program changes on some VSTi's can cause glitching and annoyingly long load times that makes track playback choke up. Imagine you're trying to listen to how the drop transition is working, and it chokes up repeatedly because it's switching presets back and forth, very annoying.

So most people usually opt for duplicating the synth, just to avoid all the hassles. Then use "freeze" to render the synth tracks to audio so they don't kill your CPU as much.

Another way you could sidestep those problems is by using a tape style looper (like AudioDamage Enso VST). You lose the mixing flexibility of having multiple tracks, but if you're fairly confident in your ability to mix as you go, then good riddance. Screw it, you just let it go and sink back into how music used to be made with tape machines in the past. No more undo, no more "we'll fix that in the final mix". You can be very expressive and lay thousands of layers down no problem, unlike with separate tracks where this gets impractical quick.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  8. Remi

Remi Member

I get it. So it is possible but hardly worth the effort if it degrades the sound.

Thank you both very much for your comments.

9. Satai

Satai Rock Star

It doesn't degrade sound upon final render, just annoying for you while mixing and jumping from section to section. If you happen to miss the part where your midi program change message was, then it's possible for synths to be playing entirely wrong patches as you listen, confusing or inspiring the hell out of you. :wink:

10. Remi

Remi Member

Confused enough as things stand (where's that middle C gone?) so I'll take your advice on that.

11. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

This is even more noticeable with sample containers like kontakt. Better to have all presets ready in first place.

12. Futurewine

Futurewine Audiosexual

I think what OP means is to use single VST/VSTi, with multiple midi inputs which function as the trigger to different sets of VST/VSTi parameters.

If I get it right, then this is possible. Though I dont know how, I would research google for it. I feel this is possible because it involves automation.

I really feel this is possible.. hmm..

(Several seconds later)

Maybe what you're looking for is LoopBe30. (https://nerds.de/en/loopbe30.html)

In theory:
    - assign all your multiple midi ins tools (in this case will act as midi-out) to each LoopBe30 port.
    - set up your DAW to receive from all LoopBe30 port.
    - assign your single VST/VSTi to receive from all midi input.

Happy experimenting ! :wink:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  13. Remi

Remi Member

Yep. tried need. Not pretty.

14. Remi

Remi Member

15. Futurewine

Futurewine Audiosexual

Thank you. I'll take a look at that.[/QUOTE]

I just updated my comment. It happens while you're on reply. Happy experimenting ! :wink:

16. Remi

Remi Member

I just updated my comment. It happens while you're on reply. Happy experimenting ! :wink:[/QUOTE]
    Yes, I saw that. Thanks a lot.