Using Nvidia RTX in Ableton Live (Windows 11 Laptop)

Discussion in 'PC' started by altair033, Nov 8, 2021.

1. altair033

altair033 Ultrasonic

Hi guys, I have bought a new laptop (Acer Predator helios 300), this one was updated with Windows 11. Everything looked great. I use both Ableton Live and FL Studio, however, Ableton is my main DAW.

I was so happy because this new laptop is a monster, it has an amazing processor, but there is a thing. For some reason, the windows 11 sets Ableton live to the integrated graphic card instead of the Nvidia RTX 3060, this lead to a drop in the FPS when I work on heavy-duty live sets, Ableton Live looks sluggish and laggy (Around 30fps) instead FL Studio that runs on the Nvidia card and has a really smooth framerate 144fps.

I managed to set the main graphic processor to the Nvidia card by changing the Graphics Card Performance Preferences in the graphic section on Windows 11. Once there you can select AbletonLive to be processed by the Nvidia card, however. 90% of the time when I launch Ableton, it runs on the integrated Intel HD drivers.

The only time I was able to run Ableton on the Nvidia card, the FPS were smooth af. It was pleasing to the eyes, but most of the time Windows keeps running Ableton on the Intel HD integrated card :( Any help would be appreciated.

PD: Both graphic drivers are up to date

3. DanteUruzu

DanteUruzu Kapellmeister

Edit: nvm, saw you already did what I suggested. NTS: read everything before posting xD

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
  4. altair033

altair033 Ultrasonic

No worries, it happens sometimes lol. I did the graphic settings thing, but somehow windows give a f.. and keeps using the Intel HD

5. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Deactivate the onboard graphics card

By Michael Mierke at the July 23, 2020

You have made the switch to a new graphics card - but Windows still accesses the onboard graphics card? We show the solution.

A so-called onboard graphics card is installed as standard in the chipset of the main board on the mainboard of your PC. These graphics cards are usually not particularly powerful. Is that why you bought a new graphics card, but Windows only ever registers the onboard version? We will show you step-by-step which settings you need to make to deactivate the onboard graphics card.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    www.heise.de/tipps-tricks/Onboard-Grafikkarte-deaktivieren-4850776.html

6. altair033

altair033 Ultrasonic

Thanks, I'll try that

7. altair033

altair033 Ultrasonic

I have deactivated the Intel HD graphics, however this kills the general performance. Now everything on windows runs slow and laggy. This could be because this is a laptop and it needs to change between cards to reduce power usage? I have set the power option to best performance.

8. altair033

altair033 Ultrasonic

Just a question. Is there a way to check the frame rate on Ableton live? Apparently It is now working on Nvidia when I add a plugin like fab filter Pro Q3. Any of you guys can see if your Ableton runs higher than 30 fps on heavy duty sets, by using an Nvidia card? My previous laptop was using intel and the livesets there were laggy too, so I can't really have a comparisson point. Maybe this might be just a poor code optimization from Ableton. But it is still bugging me the fact that yesterday I could swear I saw a higher framerate on ableton when the windows decided to switch to Nvidia. Not today tho

9. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Ableton Live 10 and 11: Fix performance issues
    www.reddit.com/r/ableton/comments/obkd48/ableton_live_10_and_11_fix_performance_issues/

10. altair033

altair033 Ultrasonic

Alright, It seems I have found the solution. Now Ableton is launching in Nvidia card every time. This is what I did. I downloaded the Nvidia drivers from the Nvidia website instead of using Windows Update.
    https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/

When you go to the driver search, select "studio driver" instead of "game ready driver", I downloaded it and installed it. Now it always opens on the Nvidia Card, of course, I was making sure the Graphics Card Performance Preferences on Windows was still on the Nvidia card.

I also realized that if you untick HiDPI mode on Ableton's settings, the framerate increase by a lot although if you have a HiDPI screen, it will look blurry. (Another solution for this blurry side effect is going to windows 11 display settings again, set the Scale to 100% instead of 125% by default) this will make the screen looks tiny on Ableton Live, but you can then set a 125% zoom on Ableton Live Zoom to compensate.

11. SomebodyIsHere

SomebodyIsHere Ultrasonic

Conclusion of this topic: Windows 11 is trash just like previous versions of Windows. Just stop the fuqin' update.