using nomad overloud melodyne XLN and AAS vst in Sonar

Discussion in 'DAW' started by old school shred, Jan 19, 2015.

1. old school shred

old school shred Noisemaker

I am a newbie here and I have sonar x3 as my main legit daw that I prefer to use off and on since about sonar 6 power days and I am concerned if anyone using sonar has tried to install things like

non legit versions of Nomad. Overloud, AAS, Melodyne and XLN products and done so successfully even though you had their lite versions like melodyne solo and then added the non legit version of melodyne editor

seems to me this would create a problem situation for us who want to use sonar and these other products.

Just asking to see what steps you had to take to achieve success in getting these other products to install and stay functional and be usable inside Sonar.

If I need to unistall and then reinstall with a custom install to not install the products from these 5 developers then so be it, you got to do what you got to do to make it work. I can save my plugin menus templates and that sort of thing and just reinstall it later on.

It maybe a pain to jump through those hoops but till I win the lottery or close that next big business deal I got to do things this way and give my best shot.

I have put other non legit programs on that I had luck with but I am concerned that these particular programs from those 5 developers might be problem creators for me because the lite version is already installed as part of my sonar installation

Precautions I take to do things include.

Those being using a program like revo uninstaller, if I have to unistall a program best to use a program like this which I am reading the manual on to learn.

blocking the program with my windows firewall from accessing the internet, see article on how to do this in windows

My link
    or should I http://www.thewindowsclub.com/hosts-file-in-windows

directions on how to modify host file

then as I saw in a thread elsewhere the gentleman said to do this, which sounds like less work actually but I am not to sure about messing with the host file.

"1. open terminal and type
    sudo nano /etc/hosts

now add this line
    127.0.0.1 www.overloud.com
    press control + x to save the file

2. open terminal and type this
    sudo chmod -R 777 /Applications/TH2.app
    sudo chmod -R 777 /Applications/BREVERB\ 2.app
    sudo chmod -R 777 /Applications/Mark\ Studio\ 2.app
    sudo chmod -R 777 /Applications/REmatrix.app

3. open the app from /Applications then Authorize it .

Done!!!!!!!!!""

oh and lets not forget shutting down wifi when installing them so the program can't try to phone home.

At any rate, any problems or solutions you encountered in trying to do this with regard to using these vst/vsti in sonar x3 would be greatly appreciated and I look forward to being involved with this forum to pass on the understanding and knowledge as I can evolve the ability to do so.

3. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

You could follow the instructions in the link to modify the hosts file. Run notepad as admin, make changes, & save.

If you add say,
    127.0.0.1 www.overloud.com
    to the hosts file, programs trying to access the overloud website, will be redirected to your computer. And sinceyour computer doesn't have an overloud website, the reply will be meaningless (ie, programs won't be able to access the real overloud website, including your web browser).

This might not be necessary depending on vendor, and vendors may have other websites for activation which you don't know. Know what you're doing, please.

The 2nd part you posted about sudo, nano, chmod, .apps, is for Mac OS X. afaik, SONAR is a windoze-only app, so OS X instructions are irrelevant.

4. old school shred

cool thanks for the response. Thank you so much for your assistance. I have messed with a host file before and thought it to be kind of a PITA for the reason you mentioned that you can no longer visit that site and were else will you find relevant info on that software but at overloud especially presets and stuff. Now if I had a 2nd computer that worked I'd be experimenting on it and not my main surf the net computer so its important to state I would prefer an alternative if possible.

What I am wondering is how effective is the other method to block the program from dialing home, namely using a firewall and specifically naming the program and keeping it from dialing out. Its a little more trouble to use the firewall as well but it at least allows me to visit overlouds site still.

That Chmod stuff confused me the only time I ever used such a thing before was to set various permissions on files I uploaded on a website.

Again thanks and any input is always welcomed.

5. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Firewalls don't work as well unless they're hardware firewalls. Block it in your hosts file or block it in your router. If you want to look at their site, do it from your mobile device and turn off WiFi.

6. old school shred

any thoughts on having to reinstall sonar to avoid installing the AAS, Nomad, XLN, Melodyne and Overloud products so as to be able to use their full versions as found on other sites?

7. old school shred

Oh also, are there any programs that can provide any workflow enhancement to aid us in adding domains to our host file?

8. old school shred

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/hosts-file-in-windows found it mentioned in this article on maintaining your host file.

google is great when you want to know something.LOL