Using Logic Pro X audio content on PC

Discussion in 'Samplers, Synthesizers' started by kafkagetssum, Dec 28, 2016.

1. kafkagetssum

kafkagetssum Newbie

Anyone else tried using the LPX sample content on PC? .Aiff and .exs with the .pkg's are easily extracted with 7-zip. But some files can only be interpreted by Apple software AFAICT, namely .pst files. And I'm still working out how to use the .caf, which go with the .exs file. Kontakt doesn't even know what a .caf file is. I have to say the Apple has curated a quality library, no doubt it puts the stock Cubase sounds to shame.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  3. kafkagetssum

kafkagetssum Newbie

It looks like the sampler needs full .cal file support for some of the later content, current only Logic has that. This includes reading of marker data which defines individual velocities, some which are repeated for humazing purposes. Simply converting to aiff. or wav. plays through all velocities which isn't intended. The EXS do not contain this data, only which keys are assigned. You can still cut the file manually to get individual hits.

4. nikon

nikon Platinum Record

CAF format is readable only by ProTools as-is...
    EXS, you can three choices:
    • Ableton sampler
    • Kontakt
    • Air Structure
    For example I'm using regulary VSL EXS with Live sampler or with Structure sampler.
    Many years ago I made a small script for converting CAF => WAV on windows (convert.js):

var inFolder = WScript.Arguments(0);
    var settings = WScript.Arguments(1);

var fso = new ActiveXObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject");
    var folder = fso.GetFolder(inFolder);
    var fc = new Enumerator(folder.files);
    var strCafFile = "";
    var strWavFile = "";

for(fc.moveFirst(); ! fc.atEnd(); fc.moveNext())
    {
    strCafFile = fc.item();
    strWavFile = caf_2_wav( strCafFile );
    Convert( strCafFile, strWavFile, settings );
    }

ScanSubFolders(inFolder, settings);

WScript.Echo("Conversion complete !!!");
    WScript.Quit();

Script usage:

c:\> wscript convert.js e:\caf_files_collection\ c:\settings.xml

Prerequisite for this script to work is to have installed Quick Time Player for windows (because Quick Time adds support for caf files).
    This settings file, I have no idea what is with that? :) I think when you run this script for first time it will create that settings file, like running first time will fail, and then second and next time ok.

But, I believe some of todays converters can do batch convert.

About library. Logic has great sound library especially loops.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  5. kafkagetssum

kafkagetssum Newbie

Thanks for the script. I've since discovered a .caf input plugin for fb2k which is a great conversion tool. It's not hard to use logic samples and loops on PC. However a small part of the library use consolidated .caf files which can be only be loaded in Air Structure but doesn't always load correctly. I'm considering a few more options for these difficult files: 1# Install Mac OS in a virtual box and using native tools to aid conversion/export. 2# Chicken Systems Translator, but I doubt the developer would provide support for this judging by his post on forums. 3# Slicing the audio files. Automated slice-making is easy but interpreting the slices and figuring out mapping will require some work.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017