Using Legit Kontakt 7 + K'ed Kontakt 5.6 2023

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by Bumbo Johnson, Feb 6, 2023.

1. Bumbo Johnson

Bumbo Johnson Newbie

In the interest of keeping things simple, I would like to purchase legit kontakt libraries going forward. I only use a handful of libraries in k'ed Kontakt 5.6, but its very important that I can continue to use them or I may break a bunch of unfinished projects.

Is it possible to install legit Kontakt 7 (plus the required Native Access 2) to exclusively run any new and legit purchases, while keeping my K'ed Kontakt 5.6 + libraries intact. Or will Native Access break things?
    I haven't fiddled with my K'ed installation in actual years, but I remember it being incredibly difficult to get things working.

Running an Intel-based Mac, if you needed to know.
    Yes I know there's been years of threads on this stuff. I'm just looking for some clarity.

3. Lee

Lee Ultrasonic

Hi BJ,
    Have been in contact with the very genreous and patient Clone who has paved the way his end but I'm still running into trouble mine. This is the work flow for installing K'd K

1 install K'd Kontakt (6.5.2 from sister site)
    1 Firewall Kontakt/NI
    2 Run Batchmod for permissions for Command patch (the patch comes with K'd Kontakt)
    3 Run Command Patch in Terminal
    4 Restart PC
    4 Open Kontakt

I've followed this but still get the Kontakt throwing up the 'welcome page' of Trial/Activate/Purchase in other words giving me no option but to use 6.2 in demo mode.

I'm running OS 13.2

As for those Mac users who use legit 7 with K'd 5.6-6.2 they appear compatible. Can you run them simultaneously? Do you Lulu or Little Snitch both Kontakts? Dunno.
    Hope this helps.

4. Bumbo Johnson

Bumbo Johnson Newbie

So I have 5.6 installed as well as 6.1, which I don't use. I think I tried to get 6.1 to work years ago and just couldn't figure it out.
    Never used Lulu or Little Snitch (I've used the built in Apple firewall before, but not for Kontakt, I don't think whatever K'd version I have needs to block anything).

Running OS 15.7 Catalina.

Unfortunately, doesn't answer my question, but I appreciate the info anyway. K'd Kontakt on Mac just looks like an absolute nightmare to me tbh, which is why I'd like to slowly transition to legit, despite the cost of it all.

5. clone

clone Audiosexual

I would just keep 6 k'd separate. you can go from SPTNDC 6.5.2 release to Moria 6.7.1 r0 update without any problems.

But when you install 7 it wants to overwrite the plugin and app. It's hard to believe someone has not set this up and detailed it already using an external hdd/ssd...

Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
  6. belalugosi

belalugosi Producer

Deeply wrong. :deep_facepalm: Just install Kontakt 7 and you'll see what happens:
    Here Kontakt 6 in Applications/NI still alive and named "Kontakt" and new installed K 7 has been installed in a folder called Kontakt 7

If you want a pic of my NI folder just ask...

7. Bumbo Johnson

Bumbo Johnson Newbie

Screw it, I'm gonna give it a shot.
    I have no interest in adding anything else illegitimately, just want the stuff I already use to continue to work.
    Went ahead and used Lulu to firewall Kontakt 5.6 app, AU, and VST, as well as the folder containing my libraries (idk if that does anything or not). Gonna order an External SSD (K'd or not, I'm running out of space haha) and pickup legit Komplete 14 Ultimate afterwards.

I'll report back if anything goes horribly wrong. Fingers crossed.
    Still have my old faithful K'ed K5.6 [dada] to reinstall if Native Access tries to touch it.

8. clone

clone Audiosexual

Just what I am told by user above. I'm on High Sierra on the Pro. You can take care of it now that you are here to volunteer your efforts there. 6.7 k'd should already be done now. I will have to defer to your expertise installing the legal copy side by side. :thanks:

:hahaha:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
  9. Lee

Lee Ultrasonic

Fingers, nostrils, toes, eyes crossed.
    BUT
    I'm a poor deluded fool if I think I can run both K'd and legit in Logic at the same time right?

10. Bumbo Johnson

Bumbo Johnson Newbie

Good news.
    I've installed Native Access 2 and legit Kontakt Player 7. Kontakt 5.6 has been untouched. Still loads all my old libraries not in demo mode. Native access doesn't even recognize that Kontakt 5 even exists on the system.
    I have created a separate Applications folder for Native Access to use and I'm placing all Legit libraries on a separate SSD. Disabled data tracking in Kontakt and Native Access.

Kontakt 7 DOES show the illegitimate libraries, but that's all. I did try to load these in 7, they show as "DEMO" like they should. Back into 5.6, they still work, no issues at all.

I will say, Native Access is probably the worst software I've used in a while. Once it launched, my Mac ran extremely sluggish even after the app closed, I had to do a restart to revert it to normal. So thanks for that, NI.

11. Lee

Lee Ultrasonic

Great News about the installation.
    Shitty news about the sluggishness. My system seems to work well with NI legit Kontakt 7 but I have to tweak Logic's buffer etc to get Logic Pro to function without constant braking.

12. clone

clone Audiosexual

Nice. Where @Lee and I were discussing, was also about having k'd 6.7 installed too. This way you will have K7 for all the new purchased content; and everything prior to it available in your 6.7; which then will let you use KLU/kitty scripts like many people do also.