Using a table top tripod as a monitor stand

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by mmd, Oct 13, 2015.

1. mmd

mmd Noisemaker

I was reading an article and stumbled upon a picture that showed someone using table top tripod as stands the monitors in question are focal cms40 that weight 11 lb and the tripods used are Oben table top ft-series with a load capacity of maximum 6lb.
    My question here is has any of you guys used this before, and how is he able to use those tripods with such a load on them.Also what kind of plates do you think he using to hold the monitors on the tripod.
    picture below and link to tripod: http://www.obensupports.com/listing?category=17725
    uadwindows.jpeg

3. Snill

Snill Kapellmeister

Those tripod may have such a thing under them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  4. Willum

Willum Rock Star

Thats not a real setup, wheres the pizza boxes and the coffee cup ring stains. :)

As to your questions, i use a pair of gale speaker stands on my desk, they are built out of steel and i can stand on one with no problems :) Theres no way that using those flimsy stands would help in any way, a couple of breeze blocks would be much better. Its just advertising, not real life.

Just found a link for them http://www.gale.co.uk/120.html these are just the right height for for my jbl305's on my desk.

5. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

The pic.. looks.. very contrived.

Why would u need speakers on tripod?

Those speakers are like 3 watts.... good luck with some monster studio monitors...on tripods.

6. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Such small tripods might look neat but they tilt easily, and I wouldn't want one of my monitor woofers land on a Push controller knob accidentally :no:

7. dokx1

dokx1 Ultrasonic

Much better solution, very cheap with Ikea stuff:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

That picture is just for the show.
    You want monitor stands that allow acoustical uncoupling.
    From a technical aspect this promotional picture is just for the lulz.

9. recycle

recycle Guest

[​IMG]

there is something wrong in the picture:
    This image pretend to be a personal home-studio shot: a living room with nude walls, a shoddy sofa and a lousy pillow, equipments crudely placed on a wooden table. The weird thing is that preamp and limiter are really good stuff, something that can’t be there, I mean, those are rack modules that can’t be in the budget of a broke musician...

• Universal Audio 1176LN Classic Limiting Amplifier $ 1.999
    • Universal Audio 4-710d Four-Channel Tone-Blending Mic Preamp w/ Dynamics $2,698.65
    Then, I discovered the true story: this picture is in the main page of Universal Audio http://www.uaudio.com/
    Any resemblance to real persons, is purely coincidental

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  10. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

Yes, it's a promotional picture, that's obvious.